• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

dream town questionnaire! + leave me a dream!

dizzy bone

Staff
Artist
Cherry ๐Ÿ’
Mango ๐Ÿฅญ
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Island
Tansan
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Pink Star Fragment
Invader
Pinky
Swamp Potion
I've got some questions I wanna ask about your experiences visiting dream towns! For my own research since I'm working towards updating my DA and just because I'm curious!

What is the first thing you do when visiting a dream town? (eg. explore the town? go straight to the houses?)
How long do you usually spend in a dream town in general?
Do you prefer a town with gifts scattered around or a town without?
Does it bother you that a town is unfinished when you visit it?
How important is furniture interaction to you? (eg. are you bothered when you visit a house and you can't sit on a chair because it's next to a table?)
Do you visit every house or are you the type that skips interiors?
What is one thing you dislike seeing in a dream town? (could be anything, like furniture sets, hacked towns or non-hacked towns, PWPs you don't like etc.)

Also, if you want me to dream of your town, please leave your DA here! If you want a review let me know and I will write one in your VMs.

Here are my answers:

What is the first thing you do when visiting a dream town? I generally run around the whole town and explore interesting areas first, then visit the houses.
How long do you usually spend in a dream town in general? If it's a really impressive town, I'll spend around 15-20 minutes. If I'm just checking it out and there's not much to see it's usually less than 10 minutes.
Do you prefer a town with gifts scattered around or a town without? I like 1 outfit that my character can wear and a couple interactive gifts (pinwheels, balloons, etc.) next to pretty/photogenic parts in town. I don't like when everything is left at the town plaza.
Does it bother you that a town is unfinished when you visit it? Not really. I like to see people's "WIP" towns and the way they sketch out a town if that makes sense? But I rather be told beforehand if it's complete or incomplete.
How important is furniture interaction to you? At first I was a little annoyed when I see chairs next to tables that you can't sit on... but honestly there are so many nice chairs (like the peacock chair) that can only be sat on from the front, so I understand if it's used just to aesthetic purposes and not actually functional. I sorta plan to do this in my town heh
Do you visit every house or are you the type that skips interiors? I usually visit all houses, however, if I see like two characters with unfinished houses I will skip the rest.
What is one thing you dislike seeing in a dream town? If it's hacked, I don't like seeing trees clumped together obstructing pathways (it just feels claustrophobic). I also dislike seeing houses with a bed room in each room of the house with the same furniture set. It just seems a little weird to me... but I understand that some people do it for the HHA points.

Thanks!!! :eek:)

And you don't have to answer if you don't want to. If you want to just leave me a DA that's fine!

Last edited:
What is the first thing you do when visiting a dream town? (eg. explore the town? go straight to the houses?) I first pick out what I want to wear/carry and then I usually just explore one area at a time, like the outside then go into the house, until I end up back at the plaza again.
How long do you usually spend in a dream town in general? 10-20 minutes depending on how finished it is.
Do you prefer a town with gifts scattered around or a town without? with, but not tooo many because then it becomes a little tedious. It's hard to ignore them cause I always want to see what's inside the wrapping paper haha!
Does it bother you that a town is unfinished when you visit it? It depends on how unfinished it is. Like if you can tell the dream suite was just unlocked and there was nothing really done in the town, I get bored quickly and leave.
How important is furniture interaction to you? (eg. are you bothered when you visit a house and you can't sit on a chair because it's next to a table?) not important to me, I usually just look at the styles of each room and don't spend much time. Unless it's a kitchen, I do like to play with all the appliances haha.
Do you visit every house or are you the type that skips interiors? I used to be this way, back when my main focus was my landscaping, but now I've started decorating the inside of my houses so it is nice to see inspiration for that as well.
What is one thing you dislike seeing in a dream town? (could be anything, like furniture sets, hacked towns or non-hacked towns, PWPs you don't like etc.) I really like seeing how everyone likes to decorate their town even if I wouldn't personally decorate it that way myself. The only real issue I have is sometimes hacked towns are hard to navigate, and I end up getting trapped in between trees and stuff because I can't even use the cliff to get around them. But I haven't ran into that too much luckily!

My DA is in my sig if you'd like to visit! I could always use visitors and feedback since it is an ongoing WIP. :) Fun idea for a thread btw!

Last edited:
What is the first thing you do when visiting a dream town? I walk around fairly slowly appreciating each section of the town. I also check early on what animals reside there and talk to the ones I've always wanted to see.
How long do you usually spend in a dream town in general? 10-15 minutes. Only 5 if it's sort of blank and I get the impression said player only uploaded the town for the bells (I'm guilty of that myself so I don't judge it).
Do you prefer a town with gifts scattered around or a town without? I didn't know this was something people did for that reason! I think I'd like finding random holdables if they're placed well. For example, in my own town I don't like clogging up my inventory with my swimsuit, so I put it (plus snorkels) beside one of my beach towels. It then doubles as decoration and functional.
Does it bother you that a town is unfinished when you visit it? Not at all.
How important is furniture interaction to you? Can't say it bothers me specifically. What I don't personally like is cluttered rooms. Less is more to me often times.
Do you visit every house or are you the type that skips interiors? I only occasionally check player houses if I really enjoyed the town layout. If the town decor is cluttered, I'll assume the houses use the same sort of styling which I'm not fond of so I'll skip.
What is one thing you dislike seeing in a dream town? Clutter. In my opinion, not every single game tile needs a flower or pattern on top of it. Patches of open grass can be pretty as well.

Thanks for answering both of you! @Bubblebeam I feel the same way about the landscape influencing whether or not I check out the interiors. I also tend to skip the houses that look like they are upgraded to mansions but have the original exterior look (eg. the plain coloured roof and default exterior). I'm sure some are fully furnished but in my mind they just expanded it to work on it later.

I visited your town Sophie. I really enjoyed it!

What is the first thing you do when visiting a dream town?
I'm putting on a outfit if it's laid out, I'm going to look who the visitors are and who's living in town, them I'm choosing a random direction and I'm just exploring the town place by place.

If it's more or less complete and has a few things to see like 20 minutes or even more. I'm someone who's exploring like every little thing. If I like I'm going through the homes and talking a bit to villagers etc.

It's imporant how they are laid out. Sometimes I like it and sometimes it just looks weird to my, I can't really describe it..

Not really, but I have to see something. It there's nothing, no landscaping, no houses or villager or paths to see, to me it's boring.

How important is furniture interaction to you?
I think the house is just for decoration and not for functionality, so I don't care if you can't sit on a chair or lie on a bed or something, but if you can't enter the room or see something, that's kinda ..

I'm always visiting the houses and every single room but when it's ugly to me or too messy or something's just not how I like it I don't visit the whole house and just go through it.

What is one thing you dislike seeing in a dream town?
I don't mind hacked towns, I hack on my own but just to let cedars grow in the whole town, plant mangoe trees on the beach etc and I don't like when you can't move naturally bc there are so many trees, if someone just has dreamies, or that kind of things.

If you want you can visit my town. My town's name is Hiatius and I'm mayor Lara. My town theme is a natural forest-y witchy town with a spirit living there. It's hacked and I moved my townhall and a few other things but it's not glitchy at all.

I check out what they have at the plaza, if there is anything. Then I'd map out which order I'd check out the houses, and usually cover as much ground as I can as I go from house to house.
Usually about 15 minutes. Less if it's an undeveloped town, or longer if it's a town I really like.
Don't really care, as long as it's not excessive. If I have to switch something out to pick up something else, there's too much.
Not really, I usually just blaze through towns like that.
I appreciate houses that allow you to interact with almost everything displayed, but if it works well, I don't mind. I personally would try to make everything interactive.
I visit every house. If the main room is pretty bare, I usually don't bother with the other rooms in that house.
I don't like seeing bushes/trees/flowers in the river, I don't like paths that are hard to navigate, and towns that don't really have any effort put into them.

Last edited:
What is the first thing you do when visiting a dream town? (eg. explore the town? go straight to the houses?)
I tend to stick around the plaza for a bit to check out what they have there. If they have a ton of wrapped presents, I'll only open a few. If they have an outfit, I'll probably put it on. And if they have several outfits, I'll just hover over what they have and choose which one I like best! Then I'll usually try to figure out the path leading away from the plaza and just follow it.

I want to say 15 minutes on average. Maybe a bit more if I really like it and want to get some shots for inspiration!

When people leave all their gifts on the town plaza, it can get overwhelming, so I like it when they're scattered. Even then, I prefer when a small amount are scattered rather than there being gifts lying around everywhere. It doesn't detract from their town or anything, but I'll just ignore them after a certain point.

I wouldn't say it bothers me, but I definitely prefer visiting finished towns over WIPs. If a town is nearly complete, I'll def check it out, but if it's most a WIP and I know ahead of time, I probably won't pay it a visit.

How important is furniture interaction to you? (eg. are you bothered when you visit a house and you can't sit on a chair because it's next to a table?)
I think it depends. Sometimes, rooms are a bit too cluttered to the point where I can't really walk through it and that's really annoying, but if it's done in moderation and makes sense (like what you said in your answer about the peacock chair!) then I think it's fine. For my own town, I try not to have this happen as much as possible just because it's my own preference, but there are some areas where I'm guilty of blocking off interaction.

I do visit every house! I really like seeing what people do with their interiors. I can't say I've always been like that, but now I really appreciate seeing all the different possibilities, especially for inspiration. I have to mention, though, that I'm pretty picky with visiting dream towns in general. I only visit if there are screenshots of it available and it looks like something I'd like, so most of the time, the interiors also match my aesthetic and it's hard to go wrong!

What is one thing you dislike seeing in a dream town? (could be anything, like furniture sets, hacked towns or non-hacked towns, PWPs you don't like etc.)
There are a few things I don't enjoy seeing. One is a forest town with too many trees. I get that it's a forest town, but it bothers me when the paths aren't obvious. I hate walking into trees and walking into areas that end up being cut off for no reason. In terms of hacked towns, I hack myself so I can't fault them for that, but I'm not a huge fan of when it's overdone. For example, I don't really like when things are moved to be where they shouldn't be, like a bunch of trees in the water, or PWPs on the beach, etc. I also don't like seeing a town with only cedar trees. It feels sorta bland to me personally, so I try to avoid visiting them to begin with.

Last edited:
I generally check out their town tree to see how long they've been playing. Then, I just kind of walk the paths (if any) and check out the houses and villagers on the way.
Depends on the dream. If it's just a barren town with no PWPs, I pretty much go straight home. But, if it's a town with a lot of thought and effort put in to it that looks amazing, I'll generally stay for around half an hour to 45 minutes.
I personally think it makes them look cluttered unless its just clothing for you to wear in the dream, which then I think can add to a town's theme and personality quite a bit.
If I can see the person is putting effort in to it, then no. But if I can tell they aren't really trying, then I don't like it much.
Not much, unless it's outside. I like to be able to sit on benches and stuff, but indoor furniture is pretty much just for show in my opinion.
Oh, I love seeing people's houses and how they decorate them. It helps to get inspiration for my own house, and I just enjoy seeing people's own personal style.
I know I've already said this, but towns that have no effort put in to them. Random flower placement, PWPs placed with no thought, etc.

That was fun to answer! :D Thanks for the questions! If you'd like to visit my dream address, it's 4D00-005D-2830. Gotta warn you though, I only started mid-April so it's not close to finished yet. My house is a complete mess except for the main room thus far.

I explore the town. I enter houses as I'm exploring the town. On rare times, I'll go into the villager's house if I'm curious what tune they make or if it's a villager I'm interested in or if their house interior was remodeled.

Usually at least 15-30+ minutes for a completed town if I'm doing an in-depth review. 3-10 min if I'm just casually visiting or if I notice the town is new.

Usually with gifts & outfits! The outfits help create the town vibe while the gifts make for cute photos.

Sometimes, yeah. If someone asks me to do an in-depth review where the town has barely been developed or if people ask me to review their town with no background info, then I feel like it's a waste of time because I have so many questions. There's a huge chance I'll misinterpret something in their town. If I'm casually visiting, it doesn't bother me much since I'm trying to get my dream visitor badge.

Nah, it doesn't bother me at all. I honestly wish the update had furniture interaction, though.

I almost always visit houses. Interiors are so important on creating a town's identity imo!

I'm not a huge fan of towns where navigating is difficult. This is unfortunately very common with hacked towns. I've gone to several where things are everywhere and almost impossible to walk freely. I'm 90% likely to leave asap. I no longer visit overly hacked towns for this reason. Don't get me wrong, there are decent hacked towns but I admire non-hacked towns the most due to making the best of the game's limits. I feel like that creates more inspiration overall.

If you'd like to visit and review, it'd be appreciated! Let me know if you'd like a review in return. :)

BWAgency โ˜… 5E00-0013-ADE0
A Pok?mon town on the anime & manga.

Background info here

What is the first thing you do when visiting a dream town? Explore the town, screenshot the bulletin board if I like the town enough. Sometimes I look for clothing, then I check the villagers and visit ones I rarely see or, better yet, talk to my villagers. I don't tend to go into houses, I usually don't because cluttered rooms tend to be popular and I don't really like those.

How long do you usually spend in a dream town in general? I'm not sure, depends on the town and the amount of time I have. I find that people who record visits tend to spend around 10 minutes more or less per town.

Do you prefer a town with gifts scattered around or a town without? With or without, I don't mind the presents much. My favorite presents to find are balloons though.

Does it bother you that a town is unfinished when you visit it? Luna's suggestions are horrible, always like week old towns. I don't mind if a few parts are unfinished if the rest of the town's landscaping looks good.

How important is furniture interaction to you? Furniture interaction is fun but I think that the overall look is a bit more important.

Do you visit every house or are you the type that skips interiors? If the first house I visit is cool then I'll visit the others.

What is one thing you dislike seeing in a dream town? Empty and abandoned towns, also, sloppy paths.

My DAs are in my signature, if you could visit/review my main, Arbolita, that would be cool. I set my time to early morning and idk if it seems too dark. I did this so when one comes in they could see the street lights on for a bit. I worry people won't stay long enough for the town to brighten up and idk how much people would mind this. I really like your town btw, the orange sky makes it extra perfect!

What is the first thing you do when visiting a dream town? Usually I pick a path (or area) and start walking it to see what's around, when I come upon the houses then I visit them for a bit, to what the inside is like.

How long do you usually spend in a dream town in general? Depends on the type of town I'm visiting. If it's something I've never seen before it can be about 20 minutes, also when I try to get inspiration for either of my towns it can possibly be longer. Towns that I find messy or absolutely cluttered (making it hard to move) is probably 2 minutes max.

Do you prefer a town with gifts scattered around or a town without? I absolutely love gifts and think it can really help a dream town out. As long as isn't all just dropped randomly, somewhere like a bus shelter, near the coffee shop, near a park or something. Also I like seeing clothes that a player has picked out for me to wear instead of just pajamas.

Does it bother you that a town is unfinished when you visit it? Not at all! Especially if someone is looking for advice or opinions to make their town better.

How important is furniture interaction to you? Doesn't that mean the character knows how to put a chair back in XD I don't think it matters to much, sometimes it looks better to have chairs right in front of tables.

Do you visit every house or are you the type that skips interiors? Every house, I usually judge the first room to see if I want to look at all the other rooms or not.

What is one thing(s) you dislike seeing in a dream town?
I hate seeing hacked forest themed towns that don't actually let me into the forest!!! Like it's a forest, let me wander through the trees!
Overly cluttered towns, not every space has to have something. Seeing the ground can be a good thing. Especially random items on the ground.

What is the first thing you do when visiting a dream town? I usually ring around the plaza I start on, then I check for a path to go through. Then I let the town itself guide what I do next, whether it be exploring the scenery or checking the nearest houses.

How long do you usually spend in a dream town in general? It depends on the town. Good ones I can stay for well over a half an hour in. Ones that lack scenery and pathways I just run all over the place for 5-10 minutes and leave - just for the nostalgia value of how I started out.

Do you prefer a town with gifts scattered around or a town without? I prefer towns with minimal or no items to pick up, and are just placed unwrapped on the plaza. I don't like doing scavenger hunts in dream towns.

Does it bother you that a town is unfinished when you visit it? Not at all! I always assume people's towns are a work in progress before visiting, and it can provide an incentive for coming back after a while to see how they change... If there was effort placed in them in the first place.

How important is furniture interaction to you? I guess I don't mind if a chair is blocked off or a chest prevents interactions of furniture at times... But at the same time, it does give the interiors a superficial feel to them - as if the players themselves don't play inside the interiors, and all they are for is show.

Do you visit every house or are you the type that skips interiors? I visit every house interior, and I even visit villager homes as well. They tell me a lot about the town maker!

What is one thing you dislike seeing in a dream town? I don't like ones that are years old, but have only a few days worth of effort put into developing them. I've seen way too many dream towns like that when letting Luna decide the dream town for me. I guess many people play the game for different reasons instead of landscaping and interior design... But still, I feel like those people shouldn't have dream addresses if they are just flooding the server with boring towns.

Anyways, my Dream Address is in my signature if you wish to check it out!

Last edited:
Thanks for answering guys! I'll visit the dream addresses when I get home later tomorrow! Keep em coming :)

My main aim is to find towns that have Wendell - before the update I found a lot, mainly I think by Japanese designers, some had beautiful paths they were generously sharing.
Since update, have found no towns, the Japanese designer players may not have reloaded and I can't search easily as I never recorded the Japanese name of the towns.
So now I have to use the QR machine - I was just lazy & liked finding Wendell. Afraid I haven't got a DA now, since update.

Hacked towns can cause problems - its only a few, most are OK, just don't interest me. Don't enter a building in a dream town that should not be there (eg buildings that normally appear on Main Street).

Look to see if town is obviously hacked, I would leave if it was. Look for a megaphone on town plaza (for calling Wendell). Some players are really nice and leave the megaphone for you.
Note the paths, if I like them I would do a quick run around to see if the player has decided to share. (ie look for Wendell).

How long do you usually spend in a dream town in general? About 5 to 10 mins if Wendell is there, I may make return trips with alts. If not I have a look at the map, may visit a villager/try & find them. Its how I first had contact with Julian - interested to see what he was like.

Do you prefer a town with gifts scattered around or a town without? Doesn't matter, occasionally I will open a gift but not often. I sometimes eat the mushrooms, or drink a coffee if its left for me.

Does it bother you that a town is unfinished when you visit it? Depends, if nothing much done I would probably just leave. I do like to see how a player uses PWP - got some good ideas for landscaping.

How important is furniture interaction to you? Not at all, I don't usually visit the players houses - a bit wary of getting trapped if the player is in the house. Not sure if its possible or not in a dream.

Do you visit every house or are you the type that skips interiors? Not really interested in interiors as I use feng shui. So I'm limited in what I can do design wise. Got ideas from HHD rather than new leaf dream towns.

What is one thing you dislike seeing in a dream town? Hacked towns. Never visited one yet, but as its difficult to be sure up front, it may happen. Bushes & trees that block getting around - OK when you know the town, not easy when its a 1st visit.

The fist thing I do is pick up any outfits to put on, if they're in the plaza. Then I will run the paths and do a lot of sight seeing if it seems interesting enough to me.

If I'm visiting random dream towns, if there aren't any paths or some sort of indication that they're even trying I will leave immediately. If there's obvious work done on the town I will probably spend 10-15 minutes exploring, and if it seems completed I could spend up to 30 minutes there. When I visit random DAs though, they're usually just not developed at all. :(

I like gifts and outfits at the plaza, however I won't pick anything up around the town. Personally, I think it's kinda janky. I wonder what's gift wrapped outside the cafe? Oh it's coffee, should've guessed. :rolleyes:

Not at all! I mean, I get fed up with visiting random DAs that are not developed at all , but I really like visiting towns that are WIP.

Not important at all.

If the town looks complete I will poke my head into a couple houses but generally I skip them.

Scattered, seemingly random flower, bush and tree placement.

Back