• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

NPC Discussion: Blathers

Flare

Cherry 🍒
Coconut 🥥
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
7087-8935-1983
Does anyone here like Blathers? :eek:

I think he's pretty good, but seeing how he was in the past games made me realize he was rather changed in a bad way like how Celeste was changed too.

Do you think he's good as he is now? Or if he should be changed as to how he was in past titles?

Last edited:
I never noticed a difference, really. The only thing I miss is his ramblings. He only gives you facts and trivia about the things you bring him if you ask for it. I don't like that.

Blathers is probably my favorite NPC other than Isabelle. You're right, I feel like they took out a lot of his personality by not having him tell us about the donating specimen/artwork. I suppose it can get a bit tedious, especially if you're starting a new game and have a lot to donate everyday. Hopefully they give Celeste something better to do in the next game.

He's one of my favorites. I did like reading the things he would say about the donated items, but sometimes I wished he would shut up. It was just too much talking. I kind of like that he doesn't ramble on so much in New Leaf.

I wish there was an option to let him give trivia about the thing you donated to him. He just seems kinda bland in New Leaf compared to how he previously was. At least he wasn't as toned down as Celeste. They should've just created a new character for the museum shop and brought back the observatory where Celeste would be. There's no reason why they couldn't do that, it's not like it was due to memory limitations or anything.

I think he's good in both versions of him, but i'd like to see a sort of middle ground for his character. If he's reintroduced in future games. While I liked how informative he was he talked a heck of a lot, which involves a lot of button mashing on my part. So I kinda don't miss that, but I also don't like how robotic he is. How he speaks in new leaf about something he's meant to passionate about is kinda lifeless, so I hope that gets improved/changed in later games. What i'd want for his character is someone that's informative, but not to the point of waffling. Just sharp and short, but you can see he's passionate.

I actually miss his ramblings in the past games. It showed his personality a lot more. I stated somewhere else that I liked when he'd freak out whenever you gave him a bug. I like learning even if it isn't always something new; it's fun. The more facial expressions the better.

I think he's really cute, but quite a "boring" NPC. He has extremely limited dialogue, and it's just too bad, since it sounds like he was much better in previous games. I wish they just gave him more to do/say because I really like him!

I think he's pretty cute, but yeah like others have states I really wish he spoke more

I like Blathers, and I loved his ramblings in the older titles, but I prefer Celeste and it's a shame that she has barely any role in New Leaf.

I like Blathers, but I wish he had more variation in his speech. All the other NPCs in the game at least have a couple things they say when you talk to them, but Blathers has the same speech all the time. I wish we could listen to the trivia too- it would be so much more interesting than hearing him start talking it and then stopping himself.

I didn't notice this until you mentioned it, actually. I do feel like it's bland talking to him, and I miss Celeste's constellation making job. Now, the museum just seems boring.

I liked Blathers more in Gamecube. I loved how he had more dialogue and that he told you a lot of trivia about, let's say a dinosaur when you completed one. I really missed that. He also doesn't freak out as much as he used to do when you give him a bug of some kind..

I'm a fan of Blathers and Celeste since they have nice designs and because I like birds, especially owls. I also have to agree with the general consensus that it is a shame they removed most of Blathers' character. I can understand that his ramblings would probably take up too much data that could and is used for other things in the game, but they could have at least given him a tiny bit more variety in his dialogue.

I like Blathers alright, I think he has a cute design but he's definitely boring to talk to. Since he just repeats himself, I feel like I'm always waiting for the conversation to be over. I don't talk to him much anymore since I finished filling my museum, but I guess the fact that I don't miss him speaks for itself, I much prefer characters like Leif, Pave, Isabelle and Nat.

Back