• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Things you didn't know about forever?

I had no idea the island had an ABD machine until last week. I've been playing this game for four YEARS...

Yeah, I have always wondered about that...what would we need to deposit or withdraw bells for on the island? I'm going to make a new thread...:D

Only a few weeks ago did I learn how to catch ants. I was really excited about it for whatever reason. Just have a rotten fruit on the ground and ants appear extremely commonly. I guess I never wanted rotten fruit on my ground cause that's gross.

I'm ashamed to say I only just discovered you can stack 9 bamboo shoots, like you can with fruit.

Never knew that!! ^_^

i never knew that you could reset a villager's greeting/catchphrase by reporting them as a problematic citizen in the town hall. i usually just put in random gibberish whenever they ask me for a new catchphrase, but later regret it because i always like their original catchphrase

Took me a while to realise that the side your museum is on depends on what side your beach is on. I didn't even realise some people had museums on the opposite side until recently.

Today I found out that if you take an item with a custom pattern to Cyrus, and choose to switch to a different custom pattern, he'll do so right then and there. No 30 minute wait!

Today I found out that if you take an item with a custom pattern to Cyrus, and choose to switch to a different custom pattern, he'll do so right then and there. No 30 minute wait!

You can do it without Cyrus.
Just copy the new pattern to where the pattern the item is using is. ^_^

I've been playing New Leaf for years but only last month learned that you can put your own gyroids up on stage for DJ K.K.'s performances at Club LOL. I probably never discovered this because I'm not as interested in the weekday performances compared to the Saturday night K.K. Slider performances where you can actually acquire a song from him. I likely never would have found out if I didn't happen to see a post about it on the forums.

I had this is another topic, but it fits here as well. ^_^

I discoverd the other day by experimenting, that the round cushion can be placed on the small wooden box seat.
It look great, and you can still sit on it! ^_^

For the longest time, I did not know you could catch tuna in-game. I just thought you couldn't catch it because the overall game is based off Japan. *Shrugs*

Oh, I also just found out Kicks had an Amiibo RV.

I already knew this for a year or so, but it wasn't until then that I realized it was possible...if someone is sitting on a bench (or anything else) you can dig a hole on any side and they'll fall into it like a pitfall. I just assumed my friends would be trapped on the bench until I buried the holes.

I already knew this for a year or so, but it wasn't until then that I realized it was possible...if someone is sitting on a bench (or anything else) you can dig a hole on any side and they'll fall into it like a pitfall. I just assumed my friends would be trapped on the bench until I buried the holes.

I never knew that!
Will definately be doing that! :D

I discovered not long ago that the best way (imo) to take a great picture of any room in the mayor's house is to take it while in the "move the furniture around" mode (what is that called, anyway?). You can see the entire room and every item. You can even change the perspective by rotating the room for the very best shot. Course, your mayor can't be in the photo, then, so there's that...

So I guess I was just lucky when I kept getting new items from Amiibo scans, as a lot of people in here haven't had the same luck. So aha moment disproved. XP

THIS, however, I can back up. I'm not sure if it's because I've bought a lot from Redd over my time playing or not, but he's started selling me his authentic paintings at a discount! A WHOLE 10 BELLS off the original price! I suppose that's Redd's version of generosity. lmao

Also, through my "Buyer Beware!" quest, I found another way to differentiate counterfeit art from authentic art. He sells the former at a slightly cheaper price than the latter. Though when I say slight I MEAN slight. 3900 bells compared to the aforementioned 3910. Again, not sure if this is because I've bought from him a lot over the 6 months I've been playing or whatnot. Feng shui, maybe?

Last edited:
I've only been playing one year, but one thing that took me a while to notice was that during the day you could tell if someone was home if there was smoke coming out their chimney. (Despite almost no one having a fireplace :p)

okay whaaaat? this is stupidly clever. now i want to torture all my friends lol

I didn't know until today that the plain looking donut stool can be customized to look like an actual donut!

I changed the pipe to black, and changed the seat to a strawberry, and a chocolate donut stool!

Last edited:
Harvey?s name sounds like ?RV? ??
Can?t believe I never caught onto that lol

Also I never realised how much profit you could make off the stalk market because I was always too afraid to try. Definitely would?ve made paying loans off for my first town a lot easier -_-

Back