• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Things you didn't know about forever?

You know how you need to take your DS in your pocket or purse so it can record your steps on the pedometer to get coins to buy fortune cookies for prizes in Nooks store? NO, you don't!! Just sit in your chair with your DS at your home screen and simulate walking by gently tapping your DS back and forth on your upholstered arm of your chair. It only takes a few minutes to record two hundred steps for 2 coins. Haha! I wouldn't even want the coins anymore, but those puppy ornaments are so darn cute! I now have at least one in almost every room of my four characters houses...and I'm a cat person. LOL!

This works. I'm sitting here watching anime and tapping my 3DS against my leg. Not walking, sitting. I don't walk 200 steps anywhere, unless I'm at the store XD

As of this post, my 3DS thinks I walked 631 steps therefore I have 6 play coins already. I feel like I'm cheating XD

Last edited:
I've been playing New Leaf for four years and just noticed that the tulips brighten/lighten slightly in color when you water them. I tried the roses too, but couldn't detect the same change. Anyway, thought that was a neat detail :)

Just learned that you can cut bamboo with an axe and it leaves like a stump thing behind. Always thought you had to shovel it up for some reason (?) Super dumb lol

The "stump" is also different depending on which stage of growth you cut it, too!
If you cut on the first day, the stumps are thicker and all brown. The second day are half brown half green, and the third day/fully grown ones are completely green. :)

Less of a delayed realization and more of an "Aha!" moment, when you scan in villager amiibo cards and ask them to give you something, Wisp will always give you a random Timmy and Tommy item that's NOT in your catalogue yet! Same for most special character cards as well (The "got anything else?" option, naturally). Pretty nifty.

EDIT: I DID get a repeat item from Wisp today so I guess it's not the case every time, but I got new stuff more often than I got dupes so...I dunno?

Last edited:
Less of a delayed realization and more of an "Aha!" moment, when you scan in villager amiibo cards and ask them to give you something, Wisp will always give you a random Timmy and Tommy item that's NOT in your catalogue yet! Same for most special character cards as well (The "got anything else?" option, naturally). Pretty nifty.

Good reason for me to start getting more serious about scanning then. Thanks for mentioning that.

The "stump" is also different depending on which stage of growth you cut it, too!
If you cut on the first day, the stumps are thicker and all brown. The second day are half brown half green, and the third day/fully grown ones are completely green. :)

Sweet...did not know this! Thank you! The reason I keep this in my subscribed threads and look for new posts whenever I am on TBT!

I found out only recently that you can't give these to other players (because they go off as soon as you put them on the ground and therefore I can't put them in my dream town) so I decided to go try to impress Isabelle...why don't you look impressed, Isabelle?

HNI_0042.JPG

- - - Post Merge - - -

Last edited:

EDIT: I DID get a repeat item from Wisp today so I guess it's not the case every time, but I got new stuff more often than I got dupes so...I dunno?

wow! i just realized this lol. More of a reason for me to scan everyday then. Thanks!

That's not true, at least for me it isn't. They always give me a robo-clock, it's so annoying

I had no idea until this morning that there was this blue squiggly looking eel that you could catch. I was totally shocked, but it was super cool.

This is so random, but I only just realised you can see Harvey's eyes through his glasses yeserday. He looks so different now I've noticed that!

I always get repeat items.

I had a major realization last week and felt like an absolute moron for not knowing this five years ago. But with the attention span of a goldfish, I have forgotten what it was. I did have a cool experience the other day though where I planted a flower ON TOP of another flower! I had never seen that before or even knew it was possible. It was so weird, I took a pic of it with my phone.

Last edited:
Today I found out that if you drop a snowball on the river, it'll slowly go down all the way until it disappears, very slowly and realistically... they even go down the waterfall if you drop them close enough.
And, in case you're wondering, I didn't do any of this in purpose, lol. ;v;

Last edited:
I had no idea the island had an ABD machine until last week. I've been playing this game for four YEARS...

Back