• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Plot resetting with Paths question

Hazel

Resident Representative of Latibule
Bells
Switch
6101-3856-2327
Winter Mittens
December Birthstone (Turquoise)
So I spent hours yesterday covering my new town with paths and planning out where I want my villagers to go and pathing accordingly. However this morning they still wouldn't move where I wanted them to go! I left multiple 3x3 spaces with paths outlining them and and extra space at the front. I tt'd this morning to make the areas bigger and still no luck. I have everywhere else covered in paths too and I don't believe the spots I've layed out are too close to anything else.

What am I doing wrong? I'm so frustrated, something that was supposed to make the game "better" has just left me dispising it

Last edited:
Presume you are plot resetting to get one particular villager in?
If they are not going into one of the spaces you have left, where are they trying to plot?

Is the villager going partially over two separate spaces (which are side by side?) - I've no experience (well I haven't attempted to get a villager into an exact spot).
Maybe lessen the number of possible locations to say two totally separate ones - but I would also continue to plot reset as they could decide to move onto paths.

In theory a villagers' house can go (I think) within one space of a cliff edge, two spaces from another house by its side and 3 spaces between two vertical houses. Not sure of this and don't know about rocks/plaza/main buildings.

3x3 spaces is what I've read is the correct amount to leave - but some players say you don't need to leave that space at the front?? (I would as you have).

Areas you don't want them to go - again I think its been said you can leave it as one tile in the centre of 9, spatially I find that difficult (dyslexic, can't grasp spatial stuff easily) so I tend to go a bit over kill and tile almost every space. (not quite, but almost).
Let's see what players with more experience say.

How frustrating. I wish I knew what the problem was. Silly question, but do you have the new update that we all got last fall ? I've had no problems with the paths. The villagers all moved in their designated spots beautifully. It took so long to put the paths down and removing them once I had all my villagers placed, so I can see why this would be upsetting. Maybe some players could visit your town and try to find out what the problem is.

How frustrating. I wish I knew what the problem was. Silly question, but do you have the new update that we all got last fall ? I've had no problems with the paths. The villagers all moved in their designated spots beautifully. It took so long to put the paths down and removing them once I had all my villagers placed, so I can see why this would be upsetting. Maybe some players could visit your town and try to find out what the problem is.

What I do I new towns that aren't very developed yet is make a new character and put squares down with him, then boot him when my villagers are where I want them. Very easy clean up as all his tiles go with him when he leaves. :)

I'm not sure if this is the situation... but there is a rule in the code that three houses maximum in a certain area - that includes buildings like Re-Tail and Town Hall.

In one of my new towns I wanted the villagers around a pond. I have a very large space for them to move in but they won't.

It looks like this:
IMG_0632.jpg

See the houses in the bottom left?

XoX
OXo
XoX

I wanted someone to move between the bottom row. No one will move in because of this three buildings rule.

If the house would plot where I want it to!!!

Someone calculated this on the web in a detailed post -
I'm not sure if this is your problem but it is a common problem.

Maybe you can find an even better spot :)

Last edited:
I ended up restarting my town and not placing patterns where I want them to go, only laid out main buildings/areas I knew I didn't want them. So far it's working out okay! I have the welcome amiibo update, still not sure what the problem is! Thank you all for the input though

Last edited:
Could you post some images of the spots you want plotted on? I've been spending hours and even days recently doing the same thing so I believe I've picked up some pointers on the subject. Some plots I never could figure out myself though.

What I do I new towns that aren't very developed yet is make a new character and put squares down with him, then boot him when my villagers are where I want them. Very easy clean up as all his tiles go with him when he leaves. :)

Great tip! Never thought of doing that. Shame I now have three permies but I'll remember it for my second town.

Back