Do you think hacking increases a town's aesthetics?

milesupshur

Walrider
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
I'm also curious about this, I've thought that I could never fully achieve/reach a perfect town status (at least to me) without some form of hacking. So, to all of you, do you view hacking as a way to increase aesthetics, or find it completely unnecessary and it's 100% possibly to reach a perfect status without hacking?

Well it's obviously achievable to reach perfect town status without hacking, since it's a built in feature of the game. And it really depends on how it is used. Sometimes it's great, sometimes it isn't. It's not the hacking so much as the creator that makes all the difference. It is what you make of it :)

Last edited:
it's all personal preference, i don't personally agree with the hacking of the game so it's not for me but if it makes someone happier with their town and how they play the game... do you, i guess

Getting a perfect town is actually easier to do than you think - I was able to achieve the status in just 17 days in my newest town, and I don't do hacks. Even in my first town, it was just 23 days in. If you want to know how, I can help.

Getting a perfect town is actually easier to do than you think - I was able to achieve the status in just 17 days in my newest town, and I don't do hacks. Even in my first town, it was just 23 days in. If you want to know how, I can help.

Oh no, I don't need help! But thank you for the offer. I was just curious to see how people perceived their towns and whether or not hacking increased their aesthetics or they were fine with the vanilla game in itself. I personally don't hack (due to lack of money but also I enjoy working with what I have) I've achieved multiple perfect towns before, and I generally restart afterwards due to not being 100% satisfied. But thank you for the response!

I've dreamed some pretty incredible hacked towns, they can be really amazing. More often than not, though, it doesn't look good at all to me.

I would really like to visit some amazing "complete" unhacked towns.

Hmmm I've seen amazing hacked towns. But it's not needed no. I don't hack and I love my town. It's perfect for it's imperfections because I made them into something beautiful and perfect to me.

Oh no, I don't need help! But thank you for the offer. I was just curious to see how people perceived their towns and whether or not hacking increased their aesthetics or they were fine with the vanilla game in itself. I personally don't hack (due to lack of money but also I enjoy working with what I have) I've achieved multiple perfect towns before, and I generally restart afterwards due to not being 100% satisfied. But thank you for the response!

Oh... I was confused about that statement.

About hacking, though: I look at the game as a test of getting something you like from a plot of complete imperfection. Look at every town map: There are unmovable rocks, dead spots, jagged edges everywhere, weird river, lake, and building locations; thin beaches, and an odd mix of villagers. In other words, getting something 'perfect' isn't the goal I think people should try to achieve when working with their town - but rather, to be able to acknowledge the imperfections in the town, and to figure out how to deal with them to still create something that works well and is fun to play in.

From this, I'm kind of split in terms of hacking. In one way, hacking misses the point to playing the game: We might as well be playing an advanced version of Happy Home designer, only for towns and without any objectives. That is not what I think Animal Crossing is about.

But at the same time, 'Happy Town Designer' allows for so many neat designs to be made that could be shared - and be used for so much inspiration... Maybe they could make a game like that! *^.^*

I've never hacked and it was pretty easy for me to get the perfect town status with the beautiful ordinance.

My favorite towns just happen to be non hacked. I get tired of seeing hacked towns with flowers, pwp's, etc in the water, or bushes and trees so close to the cliffs that you can't walk around them. The town tree moved, etc, etc.

If I decided to hack, I wouldn't do much. Just get rid of the rocks, and of course the idea of placing pwp's where I want would be nice. A custom design sign on the beach would be fun. I could put a shark warning on it.

I am with the "no hacking" group. If you want to, go ahead, but it is not for me. I have been playing for 5 months and still have not reached the Perfect Town and am in no hurry. I need to keep the Night Owl ordinance because I am too busy to play during the day most of the time and that makes it harder but I like the challenge anyways. To me not hacking is more fun because you get to enjoy the game more and win it yourself.

It can depend.. usually I prefer seeing non-hacked towns more. :eek:

Sometimes hacking makes me dislike the town overall as it can get rather messy in there. :/

I think some hacked towns can be really pretty. But overall i'm not that fond of them. Really sucks to find out your favorite part of a hacked town. Isn't obtainable without hacking.

Last edited:
Some things derived from hacking I don't like the look of, others I love and wish Nintendo let you do legit. Things like having Re-Tail and public projects on the beach, that looks perfectly natural and looks great IMO. Trees together without gaps looks far more foresty than with the gaps. I saw one town had Redd's tent (not his usual one but the open tent he uses on new years eve I think?) placed nicely with dirt pathing, making the area look like a market. That looked epic.

Blatant off-the-top-of-your-head hacking doesn't look attractive to me. Throwing down random stuff as if only to tell the world 'I can hack!' doesn't appeal personally.

I think it depends on what the person finds pleasing themselves. Some people don't like hacking and some do. I personally hack and I like that it can add a more personal touch to your town. I've always felt you should be creating your town on what you like rather than on what other people like. So if you think having hacked town is what makes a town look nice or vice versa, do what ya want!

Last edited:
I've achieved perfect status with most of my ACNL towns. But to answer the question of aesthetics: yes, I think it does. Obviously, it can be done if you work incredibly hard on your town without hacking but I personally think it's prettier to hack in flowers and bushes and trees and whatever else into ponds and rivers, even places you can't normally put things in/on.
But that's just me.

Hacked towns put me right off.
Bamboo shoved in ponds.
Buildings on the beach.

Looks hideous.

Hacking is greatly frowned upon, in my book. It kills the experience and enjoyment of the game. There is nothing good to gain from hacking.

Back