• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Spinners (or other stim toys)

What do you think of Fidget Spinners?

• I have one and I love it!

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • I don't understand the hype / they are distracting or annoying

Votes: 30 39.0%
  • I don't care for them, but I don't mind them

Votes: 28 36.4%
  • Only people who need them should have them!!!

Votes: 21 27.3%

• Total voters
I was misdiagnosed as well! It seems a lot of people on the autistic spectrum get misdiagnosed, possibly due to the wide range of behaviors and characteristics that it encompasses. Bias can also be a part of misdiagnosis as well. Women/NB people with autism are less likely to be diagnosed than men and when they are, usually it's caught later when they're older. There are also studies showing a racial bias.

yeah there isdefinitely a lot of bias. i was angry for a long time about not getting my diagnosis sooner, i showed so maby signs in elementary school and middle school but i didnt get my diagnosis until i was 16 because people dismissed my problems and behaviours as anxiety, being shy, being smart, being lazy or whatever even though there was a clear pattern and i know teachers at school noticed that i was different in a lot of things but they dismissed it because i was seen as a girl, i didnt act out (so i didnt cause any problems for other people) and my grades were good so they ignored all the other signs lol
it is seen as offensive to "accuse" someone of being autistic but in my opinion it is much better to make an evaluation and cone to the conclusion that someone isn't autistic than to ignore the signs.

basically lol wht i wanted to say is that it isnt uncommon to not get the right diagnosis. when i first when to a psychologist she said i had severe social anxiety (which i do have but it doesnt explain my other social problems) and it wasnt until 2.5 years later that my current therapist was like "do u know what ASD is?"
buuut if someone doesnt feel the need to get a diagnosis you dont have to. if you know how you function and dont feel like you need help w ASD it might not be that necessary.

this is a bit off topic sry but uh on gopic: when i was a kid i was always told off for stimming in class or at home. it's good to see that people are becoming a little bit more accepting but idk i dont like how it is treated as a trend that people do just be ause it is trendy bc stim toys are important for a lot of people with different issues

picked "i don't get the hype" and "only people who need them should have them". i knew a girl in my class who had adhd and one day she completely snapped because people kept snatching her fidget toy (it was one of those curvy plastic detanglers) in the middle of lesson. she burst into tears and had to leave.

picked "i don't get the hype" and "only people who need them should have them". i knew a girl in my class who had adhd and one day she completely snapped because people kept snatching her fidget toy (it was one of those curvy plastic detanglers) in the middle of lesson. she burst into tears and had to leave.

That's awful. Children can be so cruel.

*I don't care what age the people in this story are. Taking something from someone just to get a rise out of them is childish, regardless of age.

Last edited:
I only really noticed they were a thing like, what, a week ago? They suddenly appeared in like every corner shop. Not actually seen anybody actually using one though.

It's a trend, it'll pass and they'll be more easily available for those who actually want one as a result.

The thing is, they weren't supposed to be a trend. Fidget spinners, along with spinner rings, fidget cubes, necklace chews were designed for people with ADHD, autism, anxiety, and other mental illnesses because they actually help us focus and/or keep calm. For some reason neurotypical people thought they were a cool toy to have, and because their brains work differently than ours, for them it is just another toy and a complete distraction. Now they're being banned in schools for "distracting the students" when their intent was to just help us who have trouble focusing stay on track.

Yet another case of neurotypical people ruining things for those of us who are mentally ill. Thanks guys.

I've worn 'spinner rings' for like 5 years now like they're normal rings because I just picked them up at a festival thinking they were just neat rings that had a spinny bit. They're nice, one has a little lightning bolt on it, the other has a cross. I like spinning them when my hands are free, like at work or on the toilet doing a poo. I didn't know they were a 'fidget thing' when I got them, I just thought they were "a cool toy ring to have".

But little did I know the true power that lay beyond the ring, something a neurotypical person wasn't destined to wear. Luckily I stumbled upon this thread and learned of the dark sin I had been unknowingly committing and thus cast the rings into the fire from which they came before I can do any more harm! How careless could I be, buying something that appealed to me when I wasn't necessarily the target demographic!? What kind of monster am I!?

I apologize to anybody effected by me wearing those rings. Compensatory payments are in the post.

Last edited:
They gave them out as a present for everyone at our school (we have a pretty small school, yes. Smaller than yours.) I lost it within a day. I can't hate on them though, because it stopped my sister's twitching.

I only really noticed they were a thing like, what, a week ago? They suddenly appeared in like every corner shop. Not actually seen anybody actually using one though.

It's a trend, it'll pass and they'll be more easily available for those who actually want one as a result.

I've worn 'spinner rings' for like 5 years now like they're normal rings because I just picked them up at a festival thinking they were just neat rings that had a spinny bit. They're nice, one has a little lightning bolt on it, the other has a cross. I like spinning them when my hands are free, like at work or on the toilet doing a poo. I didn't know they were a 'fidget thing' when I got them, I just thought they were "a cool toy ring to have".

But little did I know the true power that lay beyond the ring, something a neurotypical person wasn't destined to wear. Luckily I stumbled upon this thread and learned of the dark sin I had been unknowingly committing and thus cast the rings into the fire from which they came before I can do any more harm! How careless could I be, buying something that appealed to me when I wasn't necessarily the target demographic!? What kind of monster am I!?

I apologize to anybody effected by me wearing those rings. Compensatory payments are in the post.

This isn't what anybody is saying. Everyone can take enjoyment from them, but the fact that these spinners are such a fad is getting them taken away from people who NEED them.

That's awful. Children can be so cruel.

*I don't care what age the people in this story are. Taking something from someone just to get a rise out of them is childish, regardless of age.

(wow i am back less than a month later)

We were in Year 7 (13 years old). It was extremely childish, you'd think teenagers would know better. She then moved afterwards, but I don't think it was because of what happened. Maybe it was tho.

(wow i am back less than a month later)

We were in Year 7 (13 years old). It was extremely childish, you'd think teenagers would know better. She then moved afterwards, but I don't think it was because of what happened. Maybe it was tho.

I hear you. In my high school there was a girl who had to walk through the halls with her hands over her ears. I didn't know her whole story, but I did know that she couldn't stand lip smacking/clucking noises. And people (14~18) would purposefully make those noises as she walked by. Even with her hands over her ears, they would lean toward her/block her path, and exaggerate their expression so she would know what they were doing.

I wish I would've done more for her and I hope she's doing ok.

I'm in the same boat as you, I have anxiety post-traumatic stress and am on the autism spectrum, and I've not gotten a spinner but I have other stim toys (mostly chew toys and putties) and I've found some DIY spinners online I want to try making.
I think stimming is wonderful and I think that any adverse reactions from the public are kinda the same thing people always want to do to autistic people is try to make us act "normal" even when acting like ourselves is healthy for us and hurts no one, in the same way that there are therapies that exist to try to make autistic people learn to make eye contact or stop stimming or other things that don't hurt anyone but make life more confusing and difficult for us, because people don't want to adapt to our body language. I wish I didn't hear as many stories about stim toys being banned from schools because of kids being distracting with them, because it's hard not to assume it's mostly neurotypical children who do that.
I don't think stim toys should be strictly for people with disorders that cause us to need to stim, but I think that people who buy stim toys who don't actually need to stim should be careful about not making it harder for the rest of us who genuinely need them by being obnoxious in public with them.

- - - Post Merge - - -

With my teacher hat on, I honestly can't stand them and think they're super distracting to learning!
But with my non-teacher hat on, they're okay. My boyfriend recently bought one and I had a little go on it.... It's somewhat fun but does get boring after a while... I guess they're just not for me.

I'm not sure if anyone has pointed this out, but I think it's important if you are a teacher to remember that some students need to fidget or they won't be able to focus. As an autistic person, if someone tells me I'm not allowed to stim, I can't focus on anything, where as if I'm chewing gum or flapping my hands or, in this case, playing with a spinner, it might look like I'm not focusing, but really I'm able to calm down the part of me that needs to fidget and am actually listening harder. So please don't be harsh on your students who stim and try to understand if maybe they need to stim to focus.

I'm thinking of getting one of those off-brand fidget cubes at the local comic book store. Is it worth it for anxiety purposes or should I go for the original, more expensive one online?

I'm thinking of getting one of those off-brand fidget cubes at the local comic book store. Is it worth it for anxiety purposes or should I go for the original, more expensive one online?

I've heard that the original one is much better, which is what has stopped me from getting one at all in general. So yeah, I don't have one, but I'm going off of what I've heard. If I could find a cheap one in a store in IRL I'd probably buy it instantly. Why not give it a try? Consider it a preview. If you really like it, get the official one.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I hear you. In my high school there was a girl who had to walk through the halls with her hands over her ears. I didn't know her whole story, but I did know that she couldn't stand lip smacking/clucking noises. And people (14~18) would purposefully make those noises as she walked by. Even with her hands over her ears, they would lean toward her/block her path, and exaggerate their expression so she would know what they were doing.

I wish I would've done more for her and I hope she's doing ok.

I'm like this too and people often yell at me for "being rude" when I cover my ears, but I'm not trying to be. The sounds actually hurt my ears and sometimes even other parts of my body, particularly my spine. It also makes it very difficult to concentrate on anything, which in turn can make me pretty irritable. Sensory proccessing issues.

Last edited:
I've heard that the original one is much better, which is what has stopped me from getting one at all in general. So yeah, I don't have one, but I'm going off of what I've heard. If I could find a cheap one in a store in IRL I'd probably buy it instantly. Why not give it a try? Consider it a preview. If you really like it, get the official one.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I'm like this too and people often yell at me for "being rude" when I cover my ears, but I'm not trying to be. The sounds actually hurt my ears and sometimes even other parts of my body, particularly my spine. It also makes it very difficult to concentrate on anything, which in turn can make me pretty irritable. Sensory proccessing issues.

Honestly the rude people are the ones calling you out on it. Obviously if you have your hands over your ears it's for a reason.

I don't get people sometimes.

my friend has had a spinner and when he let me use it for a minute it was pretty cool, although it kind of makes me nervous because where isn't much place to clamp your fingers between it and it made me feel like i would drop it. i never seen a fidget cube in person, but seeing what the fidget cube can do in comparison to a spinner... i prefer the fidget cube.

I definetly don't mind them for people with mental illnesses or just fidgeting problems, they need them. But it pisses me off that people who don't are buying them just to screw around with them and now they're being banned from schools where kids who actually need them don't have access to them, and plus Youtubers are milking the trend too. It's bad.

The original doesn't make the loud whirring noise, so it depends if you want a quiet one, or one that makes noise.

Speaking of noise I saw a rad video of someone using it to play guitar and it was really cool.

They're really important for kids and teens with ADHD etc, too bad people will destroy everything useful.

Yeah this is how I feel about it as an adult with ADHD even I find things easier having something to fidget.

Having Anxiety, depression, and PTSD I wanted the cube the SECOND it came out but couldn't justify buying one due to it costing $45 and I have been struggling to pay for food and school. My sister ended up giving me an extra one she had, and I have been so excited to use it when I go back to classes and have to do home work. If I am not fidgeting during classes I will completely zone out and have mini anxiety attacks and not retain any of the info from the class. So this should help a lot!!!

However.
I live at a beach and frequently go on the board walk. About a month ago ALL the arcades had claw machines and other games that you could win the cubes and spinners. The stores all had signs stating that spinners were sold there and it felt overwhelmingly off. The arcades and stores were all treating the spinners as toys, not as an assistive device used to help people with various mental disorders focus, ground themselves, or calm down.
As more and more people started coming back to the beach for weekend vacations and such, I kept overhearing kids and their parents get into conversations about the spinners/cubes. The kid often was complaining about how everyone else had one or they didn't have that color and the parents more often than not referred to them as a toy or made comments about how they didn't understand why they had ever become popular/they are pointless.

Then I noticed the stories about spinners being banned at schools and other places due to appearing to be weapons or being "distracting" due to kids who did not need them misusing them and treating them as another toy. Not even having my own cube for a month, my hopes of finally having something to help me focus in classes dissipated as it would likely be banned by the time I got back despite being in college.

I have never used a spinner, but it really hurts my heart to see something that would have helped so many kids who have trouble with classes due to mental disorders be turned into a "trend" by parents and other kids who are neurotypical/do not need them. The constant theme of minority groups becoming "Trends" within the groups that oppress them is a serious issue and it's upsetting/really hurts people. Seeing neurotypical adults who make fun of people with autism or PTSD turn around and use spinners is sickening since they don't want anything to do with us but then turn around and use our coping methods and change them into toys. (which also adds to the infant-like image they generally have of people with mental disorders) Just like how white people have been praised by other white people for wearing braids but then the same people turn around and get black girls kicked out of schools and refuse them jobs because of the same exact hair style. It's not okay and people need to stop lol

Last edited:
Back