• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Spinners (or other stim toys)

What do you think of Fidget Spinners?

• I have one and I love it!

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • I don't understand the hype / they are distracting or annoying

Votes: 30 39.0%
  • I don't care for them, but I don't mind them

Votes: 28 36.4%
  • Only people who need them should have them!!!

Votes: 21 27.3%

• Total voters

Mr. Cat

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ &#
Cherry 🍒
Lemon 🍋
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
New Horizons Token
Pastel Disco Ball Easter Egg
Moon Ball
Lucky
Voodoo Doll
Jack
Blue Hybrid Rose
Aurora Easter Egg
Coco
May Birthstone (Emerald)
Because of increased popularity I've been able to get a Spinner at a local store. I've been wanting one all year. I have anxiety, autism, and PTSD. Honestly, this thing has done miracles for me when it comes to staying grounded in public places and social settings. I'm a bit self concious, as an adult, to be using this out in public though because now there seems to be this stereotype that they're a school aged child's trend item and I don't want people to treat me differently... I don't go to school though, so I haven't seen anybody else using one. Are they really that popular and what do you think of them? I mean, I don't care either way, it still helps me a lot and I will continue to use it, but I still wonder what other people think of it. Have you seen anybody else with them? Do you have one yourself? How do you feel about them?

I think they are great for people with these disorders. I really love the mental illness awareness!

I have no need for them but I definitely am for them!

It's just another trend.

2016 Summer- Pokemon Go
2016 Fall- Killer Clowns
2016-2017 Winter- ??? Water Bottle Flipping ???
2017 Spring- Fidget Spinners.

Last edited:
I mean, they're fun to play with for about 10 minutes or so when someone lends you their own but I don't think I really feel the need to buy one.

They're kinda dumb honestly.

They're really important for kids and teens with ADHD etc, too bad people will destroy everything useful.

It's just another trend.

2016 Summer- Pokemon Go
2016 Fall- Killer Clowns
2016-2017 Winter- ??? Water Bottle Flipping ???
2017 Spring- Fidget Spinners.

The thing is, they weren't supposed to be a trend. Fidget spinners, along with spinner rings, fidget cubes, necklace chews were designed for people with ADHD, autism, anxiety, and other mental illnesses because they actually help us focus and/or keep calm. For some reason neurotypical people thought they were a cool toy to have, and because their brains work differently than ours, for them it is just another toy and a complete distraction. Now they're being banned in schools for "distracting the students" when their intent was to just help us who have trouble focusing stay on track.

Yet another case of neurotypical people ruining things for those of us who are mentally ill. Thanks guys.

I spin my pens around my fingers at work cause I get bored, but these thingies are weird for everyone to use...

For stress relief or any medical needs I see it being perfectly understandable, but kids using it cause they're cool and hip is stupid imo. All I see it being in a school environment is a huge distraction and a pointless thingy.

I kinda thought they were silly when I saw kids with them on the news :/

If it helps you stay grounded, don't worry about what other people will think. All that matters is that it is helpful to you and that is worth so much more than having the approval of a bunch of strangers. So please don't worry about it! Do what is best for you! :)

I can see how they can be distracting but they're meant to be discreet so they're done "out of sight" as to not be distracting, people are seeing them as fun toys and using them out in the open in school and that's why they're getting taken away and stuff. These things are very useful for concentrating or soothing for people with disorders so it sucks that they're getting backlash. I used to tap my fingers, wiggle my leg, chew my cheek and nails, click my pen, all of which were distracting because I didn't have things like these in school, and my work performance failed a lot because of it, I had a horrible time paying attention because I have ADHD and anxiety really bad. Spinners are larger so they're more distracting, but things like tangles and cubes and stuff can easily be used under a desk without people noticing and or even from inside your pocket which is what they're meant for, discreet stimulation to help you concentrate, not something you use openly to distract others.

They're entertaining to me and I like having something to keep my hands busy when I'm not doing anything. I have a spinner and a cube with buttons, a joystick, switches, a clickable ball bearing and a combination padlock.

they seem great for people who need them
too bad everyone ever gets the cheap plastic ones who make the loud WHIIIIRRRRR noise and they dont even NEED them, they just use them to show off
what a shame :(

I don't really care if people have them. They look kind of fun but I don't have any desire to get one.

I've actually never used one. I've seen them, but I didn't even know that was what they were called.

lmao people treating it like it's a new thing when it's been around for a longgg time especially in neurodivergent spaces. also i hate how tstim toys or stuff like that get banned bc it's getting popular or w/e.

I'd never even heard about them before people started talking about them around here. I just watched a youtube video of one being used and it does look very distracting if it's used in the open.

I think if people need it to concentrate they should be able to have one but keep it discreet so it's not a distraction to others.

If this is becoming a fad where people who don't need them are using them I hope the fad dies out quickly so the people who actually need them can use them in peace.

lmao people treating it like it's a new thing when it's been around for a longgg time especially in neurodivergent spaces. also i hate how tstim toys or stuff like that get banned bc it's getting popular or w/e.

Me too. I've been looking them up online for a long time because I run an autism blog, but I've finally been able to buy one in a store because of the popularity... they sell out within a day. And my my friend's kid is always talking about how they're popular in school. I'm so embarrassed. I would LOVE for this stuff to be more socially acceptable, but it's becoming a disgrace...

I think they're neat, and fun. I almost bought the cube but didn't. I consider myself fidgety. I don't have any disorders that I am aware of, however I always want something in my hands. I hate the feeling of empty hands. It's even better if it's something that has an interesting texture or if I have an attachment to the object. I can't always carry something on me, so I grab my clothes often or scratch at my head whether it itches or not. But I could honestly play with anything and find some satisfaction and relief, so I never bought anything.

Back