• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Spinners (or other stim toys)

What do you think of Fidget Spinners?

• I have one and I love it!

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • I don't understand the hype / they are distracting or annoying

Votes: 30 39.0%
  • I don't care for them, but I don't mind them

Votes: 28 36.4%
  • Only people who need them should have them!!!

Votes: 21 27.3%

• Total voters
I have never used a spinner, but it really hurts my heart to see something that would have helped so many kids who have trouble with classes due to mental disorders be turned into a "trend" by parents and other kids who are neurotypical/do not need them. The constant theme of minority groups becoming "Trends" within the groups that oppress them is a serious issue and it's upsetting/really hurts people. Seeing neurotypical adults who make fun of people with autism or PTSD turn around and use spinners is sickening since they don't want anything to do with us but then turn around and use our coping methods and change them into toys. Just like how white people have been praised by other white people for wearing braids but then the same people turn around and get black girls kicked out of schools and refuse them jobs because of the same exact hair style.

This is exactly my issue...I've seen varying perspectives on this but I think when things like this get overtaken by neurotypical kids/teens/adults it seems to lead to trends and bans and that always negatively effects the divergent people the most. Where fidget toys really help me to keep calm and focus, using one just gets seen as playing and distracting or being taken in by a trend and its then hard to explain to people that you really need that grounding.

This is exactly my issue...I've seen varying perspectives on this but I think when things like this get overtaken by neurotypical kids/teens/adults it seems to lead to trends and bans and that always negatively effects the divergent people the most. Where fidget toys really help me to keep calm and focus, using one just gets seen as playing and distracting or being taken in by a trend and its then hard to explain to people that you really need that grounding.

I completely agree 100%

Schools are poorly structured in general, and it's even worse when you have a mental disorder since they don't accommodate without a doctors note and a majority of the time teachers will brush it off and refuse to give students "special attention" or think that they need to be "cured" and learn to behave like all the "normal kids" rather than just providing the help they need. (plus kids with parents who refuse to admit their kid has ADHD/anixety/autism/etc.)

It can be really ****ing hard for a kid in elementary school with a mental illness to explain the way they feel/why they need to stim/what exactly is causing this to happen because they are really young and they may have learning disabilities/trouble understanding it themselves. (also the lack of a voice kids have in general when it comes to their own education/care/life) Not to mention it sending mixed signals when the kid is often yelled at for being unable to focus, then is suddenly getting in trouble for finding something that actually helps them pay attention in class.

It's almost like it's impossible for us to get equal treatment and it's not fair that every time we as a community find something that actually works for a lot of people it just gets taken and treated as a distraction/any other toy/pointless by people who don't even understand its purpose but continue to condemn us for the side effects we have when we aren't stimming/using spinners/etc. And on top of it get yelled at for even complaining in the first place. We always get the short end and it's not fair.

Calling them disgusting is a bit harsh. Lots of people really need fidget toys to be able to focus and calm themselves. I hate how any form of stimming is frowned upon in general :(

I don't get what the big deal is about it. I have one but I use it as more of a toy than something I use to help me with attention. I understand when people with disabilities need them, but it makes me mad when kids who don't need them uses it for attention.

my dad got me one today and it's actually kinda cool. i can really see how this can help children with ADHD and other disabilities/disorders with focusing and anxiety control.

- - - Post Merge - - -

i still stand by my statement that only people who need them should have them, though.

Calling them disgusting is a bit harsh. Lots of people really need fidget toys to be able to focus and calm themselves. I hate how any form of stimming is frowned upon in general :(

nah, I just dislike spinners. I have ADHD and some anxiety and i do fidget a lot, but i would never buy a spinner, I'd rather buy a fidget cube. The spinner design just seems off and too edgy, it reminds me of the mini skates kids would do tricks and things with them in primary school

I think they can help anyone focused if used properly. I know I would like to get one because i do fidget/stim with anything I can grab when im overstimulated or nervous. I kind of wish they had instructional uses to teach people how to use them to help focus so that the kids who are using them like a toy will use them like a tool instead.

Last edited:
Someone argue against this, please.

EDIT: Not sarcastic.

He's likely not neurodiverse and quite frankly anybody who isn't neurodiverse can just shut the f*** up because they will not be able to understand. Just because he's a psychologist doesn't mean he's a good one. Also, he puts a huge emphasis on them being a fad and just now being invented. Do you realize these have been around for YEARS. Neurodivergent people have been using this for years out of sight and out of mind. This guy just looks like a total a**.

I'm a 19yo with ADD. While I don't see the appeal in fidget spinners (since for me personally they distract me more than help) I do recognize the fact that they do an immense amount of good for others! I am pretty indifferent to them for my own use, but I think they're doing a lot of good.
That being said, I do know they're what has inspired a lot of people making memes about "autistic 12 year olds" and stuff like that which is a super downer. :( All in all, i think they're doing good, and people should stop being jerks about it

No idea those were so "popular" and such but, eh don't really have an opinion on those. Don't think I'd get one though. I'd probably think they were annoying and just probably throw them around. Was recently diagnosed with asperger's/asd but eh those "concentration" things are not my thing imo.

Last edited:
my friend uses it to focus (and it does help him) but everyone in his class is like "whats that bro? u got a fighet spinner? lemme have a try brah. oh thanks brah. this is so cool. watch me do tricks brah."
its gotten to the point where he 3d prints fidget spinners and then sells them to kids for 10 bucks each its really funny

So I got a fidget cube for my birthday and I LOVE IT. I had tons of anxiety in public and I often have a lot of anxiety about what to do with my hands and arms when I'm nervous, so it's not only helped me be less anxious but it gives me something to hold on to in public so I don't feel awkward. I absolutely recommend the cubes to anyone with anxiety.

So I got a fidget cube for my birthday and I LOVE IT. I had tons of anxiety in public and I often have a lot of anxiety about what to do with my hands and arms when I'm nervous, so it's not only helped me be less anxious but it gives me something to hold on to in public so I don't feel awkward. I absolutely recommend the cubes to anyone with anxiety.

I really wanted a fidget cube but I can't find any affordable ones here.

Ah yes fidget spinners reminds me of this starter pack

l7XU6aR.jpg

l7XU6aR.jpg

i just saved this pic an hour ago with the intention of posting it here! We think alike, congrats for beating me to it! haha

l7XU6aR.jpg

Perfect. 10/10 I feel this on a deep personal level. I've been having some trouble teaching my boyfriend because he thinks the spinner and stuff are stupid because he doesn't get it.

Back