• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Catcalling

Have you been catcalled?

• Yes, and I like it!

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Yes, and I'm indifferent to it.

Votes: 18 11.8%
  • Yes, and I hate it!

Votes: 65 42.5%
  • No, and I like it that way.

Votes: 48 31.4%
  • No, and I'm indifferent to it.

Votes: 16 10.5%
  • No, and I wish I would get catcalled!

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • I'm the catcaller!

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

Soda Fox

love like you
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Tasty Cake
Yellow Lily
For anyone unfamiliar with the term, catcalling is when a person whistles, shouts, or makes sexual comments at passersby.

I wanted to see what people here thought of catcalling.

Discuss! And let's keep it PG people.

I think it's stupid. I would put on the borderline for sexual harassment honestly. It's something guys primarily do so it's something I haven't experienced before since I am one. Although, I can imagine it being uncomfortable for a girl as it draws unnecessary attention and can be pretty rude. Guys can do some pretty stupid stuff to get a girl's attention or when with a group friends so you can't persecute them all as having ill intent.

It's pretty pathetic for guys or girls to do, in my opinion. I am a pretty bold, open person when it comes to telling someone I find them good-looking/attractive, but even I think catcalling is gross and puts the person being "complimented" in a not so desirable position. I've been cat-called a few times times when I have to travel to a nearby county and I've had some choice words for them that made them not want to ever catcall near me again.

I'm all for showing honest interest in others, I'm not for objectifying men or women with usually degrading/patronizing comments.

I don't keep friends who catcall but if a stranger catcalls me I don't waste the effort confronting them about it, although once when I was younger walking home from work after dark I did shout back at a guy in the deepest voice I could muster "I have a ****!" You can probably guess the word I used.

The only time I've experienced catcalling directed at someone else was when I lived in the city and I didn't get involved. If it happened to a friend who I knew didn't like it I would confront the catcaller, but if it's a stranger for all I know the person might like the attention so I'd likely keep out of it - it would depend on the situation.

It happened a few times when I was a teenager now people let me alone. I don't like to get attention, so of course I hate it, whatever they say, even if it's not sexual. It's more the fact that they are shouting in the street in front of everybody that annoys me. When I was a receptionist some customers made sexual comments but it didn't annoy me that much, I generally replied with something worse and they shied away.

has happened a few times mostly during the summer lmao it is creepy and i would love to run them over w a truck if i could

a lot of gross guys do it to me. even when i was younger, like early teens they would and its just gross. u dont just sexualize people, yknow???

Hate it. It makes me feel awkward and it pisses me off that it affects me. I hate giving them that sensation. I feel like listening to music helps me ignore them.

I'm indifferent. I get mistaken for a girl a lot due to my long hair and my choice of clothing, and a lot of weird guys do it to me. It's intimidating to me because I don't know where they are or who they are and 99% of the time it's in the dark. It's scary.

But on the other hand, I also really don't mind it. Like, I wouldn't say that it ruins my day or upsets me or anything like that. It's just like "meh". I'm thankful that people like the way I look, I guess, but at the end of the day it's a very subjective thing and I 100% understand why most people would hate it.

I've been catcalled a few times and, no, I don't like it.
It just feels really awkward, rude, gross, and makes me walk away faster.

Never knew it was called "catcalling." Anyway, I've never been catcalled, but I've seen it happen to other people, and I mean... to a degree, if it's with someone you know and y'all are dating, then I guess it's okay? But towards strangers or just friends, it's kinda... idk, wrong? Like you don't flirt excessively with strangers, so why catcall them? Just my thoughts.

I don't have any stories to share myself, thankfully, but yeah. Catcalling is disgusting...

I've actually had a couple of incidences where catcalling turned into almost stalking, so it really creeps me out now. Whenever someone gives me that kind of attention I try to get in a public, safer place since it's been pretty scary a few times~

I wouldn't care if someone did to me. It's a red flag though, so walk fast.

Some people in band have done it to me just to mess around. I honestly have to say I either like or I just don't pay attention, because usually when I walk around I don't pay much attention to people.

It's happened quite a few times to me, but I don't really care. As long as they don't come up to me, or touch me, it doesn't matter. I normally just give them a look that says, "weirdo, who do you think you are lol," but other than that, I just don't do anything. It's when the men actually touch me or harass me by following me, attacking me, or getting mad at me when I don't reciprocate attraction or give them my number, that it actually becomes a problem for me. As for compliments (which some people consider harassment for some reason..), I just smile and say thank you, because it's just polite and I can appreciate a compliment :)

I think it's stupid and makes people seem desperate, but I still defend their right to do it, considering it doesn't cause any harm.

I think if someone hits on you, you should take it as a compliment because someone finds you attractive, and think nothing of it past that. It's not like you have to respond if you're not interested.

I think it's stupid and makes people seem desperate, but I still defend their right to do it, considering it doesn't cause any harm.

I think if someone hits on you, you should take it as a compliment because someone finds you attractive, and think nothing of it past that. It's not like you have to respond if you're not interested.

If it's just to compliment it's no big a deal I guess but it's not what I'm seeing most of the time, some guys are rather agressive and not nice at all, if girls ignore them they insult them, throw things at them, stalk them, they can also physically harass them...they more want to mess with them than compliment.

Actually, in a lot of states, depending on what you are shouting, it is considered verbal sexual harrassment. I think it is obvious that nice things like "You look very pretty!" or "Your hair looks awesome!" are things that most people would be fine with, however when most people catcall it is things like "Hey let me grab a piece of that ***!".

Actually, in a lot of states, depending on what you are shouting, it is considered verbal sexual harrassment. I think it is obvious that nice things like "You look very pretty!" or "Your hair looks awesome!" are things that most people would be fine with, however when most people catcall it is things like "Hey let me grab a piece of that ***!".

Is there really such a thing as verbal sexual harassment in the eyes of the law? I thought that anything goes, including hate speech, because we have freedom of speech. So calling out rude sexual things to people isn't a crime, but putting your hands on someone or following them around would be harassment that could be punishable. But I dunno. That's just what I always though.

Last edited:
Back