Has anyone tried manic panic?

I used the really bright pink a couple years ago and I couldn't get it to fade from my hair at all! I tried washing it like 20 times to get it to fade. In the end, I actually had to bleach it again cause it wouldn't budge.

i HATE manic panic. i had it in for like a month before it started washing out and it left behind a disgusting green tone to my hair (i had blue dye, not sure how it became green? maybe because i had that weird brassy colour.) and i ended up bleaching the hell out of my hair just to get rid of it.
i used a more professional over it and there's no more green in my hair.

I had my hair blue a couple of months ago and it also just went a green colour in the end. That was Schwarzkopf though (which I would absolutely recommended over Manic Panic).

Last edited:
i HATE manic panic. i had it in for like a month before it started washing out and it left behind a disgusting green tone to my hair (i had blue dye, not sure how it became green? maybe because i had that weird brassy colour.) and i ended up bleaching the hell out of my hair just to get rid of it.
i used a more professional over it and there's no more green in my hair.

A lot of blue/ teal dyes will have a green undertone. In fact, unless it's like a royal blue which would mean it had only pure blue pigment, it probably has at least a tinge of green in it, which you'll see as the more dominant blue color in the temporary dye fades out.

If you're having trouble getting a color out of your hair, don't reach for the bleach right away. You can try neutralizing the color first by applying a complimentary colored toner or using a toning shampoo/conditioner. For example, if your hair has a slight yellow tone and you don't want to see yellow, you can apply a light violet toner (when dealing with really light hair, you don't need to keep the toner on for longer than a minute or two; leaving it on for longer could result in hair the color of your toner) because violet and yellow are complimentary colors (across from each other on the color wheel) and cancel each other out, creating a neutral color. Other examples of complimentary colors would be blue and orange, green and red, yellow/orange (gold) and blue/violet and blue/green and red/orange.

If you're hesitant when it comes to using toner (which I wouldn't blame you for because, again, a lot can go wrong when coloring hair), try using a toning shampoo. You can also use toning shampoos to enhance/ refresh your existing color. Aveda has some really great toning shampoos that are made with something like 99% natural ingredients, though they're meant for use once weekly. Using it daily can dry the hair out over time.

And as always, I recommend just letting a professional apply or correct your color. At least then if it turns out horribly, you can have it fixed for free.

Back