• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Is English your first language?

England you number one?

• Certainly. Natively speaking English, I have exquisite vocabulary!

Votes: 56 66.7%
  • English may not be my first language but I speak it well enough to communicate.

Votes: 21 25.0%
  • I grew up in a mixed-language environment, so the above question is kinda tricky to answer with a "y

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • Ich spreche kein Englisch.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AnimalCrossingPerson

Please respect GDPR
Bells
New Horizons Token
20 Envelopes
Red Candy
Red Candy
Winter Mittens
Lucky
Holiday Candy Cane 2017
Timmy Christmas Doll
New Leaf Token
Isabelle
Simple question. Seeing as this whole website is English-speaking, I assume many will have English as their first/native language, but odds are there will be a fair number of, I don't know, Germans who presumably learned German first. Or maybe they'd go to German Animal Crossing forums - it would make sense.

Going further off-topic, my step-gran (not quite by definition though - can't be bothered explaining) apparently gave flowers to Hitler. Try not to think about it too deeply.

My native tongue is Japanese. However, I'm entirely fluent in English. In fact, I make most of my income by writing articles in English. I'd hazard that I understand the language better than the vast majority of native English speakers.

English is my first and only language I speak. Although I'm pretty terrible at this language so my vote on the poll isn't completely accurate. XD

My first language is Flemish/Dutch!
But because i grew up on watching English cartoons (CN, Disney , DBZ , Sailor moon) etc i learned it pretty quickly.

I still make some mistakes when i want to say "character" or "lyrics" though, haha. :p

Tbh i have no idea what my first language is ;~;

My mother tongue is chinese and ive been speaking it at home for my whole life. However, if someone uses even remotly complicated words i won't be able to understand.
I've spoken, received education, and lived in a francophone environment for 9 years, but haven't spoken french that often in the last four years so it's getting rusty.
I've been actively speaking english for the past 4 years, so my english could also be considered my first language @-@

//is very confused

Yeah. I have little motivation to learn another language at the moment. Although, I am interested in learning Japanese to play some Japanese games that haven't been translated to English.

Filipino is my first language, but I could very well understand English. I wouldn't say I'm fluent in speaking or writing though.

just because you're a native speaker doesn't mean your vocabulary is good. I mean look at all the "speak american" people

anyways yeah, English is native tongue for me

I'm French and have always lived in France so English is not my first language at all... I am rather fluent though, but I don't think it would compare to a native speaker.
As for viewing French Animal Crossing forums... well I think that as with many things, English-speaking forums are better because everyone around the world can participate :)

english is my 2nd language lol but ive been fluent for a long time. im still better at swedish buttttttt thats because i read a bunch of books as a kid and learnt all those Fancy Words and bc i never read anymore i havent read enough books w fancy english words in them to have fully mastered the art of using more complicated english than necessary lelll

Tbh i have no idea what my first language is ;~;

My mother tongue is chinese and ive been speaking it at home for my whole life. However, if someone uses even remotly complicated words i won't be able to understand.
I've spoken, received education, and lived in a francophone environment for 9 years, but haven't spoken french that often in the last four years so it's getting rusty.
I've been actively speaking english for the past 4 years, so my english could also be considered my first language @-@

//is very confused

I have a similar experience. My mom is Korean so I grew up communicating with her in Korean, but I didn't receive formal education for it. My dad is Cambodian and communicates with my mom in English as a common language, so that was the formal language I was taught and learned at school. I still get super confused though and some English words I have no idea what they are but I know it in Korean. Like I had no idea what a "date" was (the fruit) and only knew it as daechu. Same with like all fish we eat, I only knew the Korean version until someone told me what it was in English later on lol. Plus some phrases I feel I just can't translate to English properly because the feeling is different. Day to day I only speak in English now since I don't live in Korea anymore. I still speak to my mom in Korean though.

tl;dr Korean was the first language I spoke at home, English was the first language I learned in school.

Last edited:
Technically my first language is Vietnamese. I was born there, and it's the language my parents speak so I use it to communicate with them. We moved to the US when I was pretty young though, like, I wasn't even old enough for school yet, but I was never taught English until I started kindergarten because there was no point to it I guess? Everyone in my family communicated in Vietnamese so it wasn't totally necessary. But then I started school and my English overtook my Vietnamese pretty quickly. Basically, even though English isn't technically my first language, it's as good if not better than "native English speakers'" while my Vietnamese isn't that great. I know enough to communicate with, but I'm not super confident in my abilities.

My first language is French, it's the official language where I live. I learned English on forums like this one copying people, so my English is not that good lol.

English is my furst langyage and the only language I speak fluently. I know a few phrases in German, French, and Japanese.

I grew up speaking English. It is my first language.

I grew up in Canada, but my parents and grandparents both immigrated here from Poland. It's because of them wanting me to still know how to speak Polish (For plenty of reasons, an example being I have a lot of family in Poland) my first language is Polish. Although, I have to admit my English is extremely fluent and better than my Polish but I've gotten a lot better recently! I used to speak fluent Polish as a child, but with an english-based formal education and constantly being around English writing/speaking, my Polish suffered although it helped my English get better than plenty of native English speakers I know. I've been going to a Polish school every Saturday ever since senior kindergarden (Grade 0 at that school) and I still attend; It's helped a lot! My family mainly uses Polish at home!

A little amusing story; Growing up, I literally only knew how to say "Hello" and "Bye" in English until Kindergarden! My mum told me that when it was the first day of kindergarden, she handed me over to the teacher and simply told her "She knows no English; teach her English." To put it simply, my teacher panicked and was very confused. The teacher was appalled but slowly she accepted it and taught me English with the rest of the class!

english is my first language and the only one i've ever spoken, and i'm kinda bummed about it because languages really interest me. i'd love to become fluent in another one someday and that way when i have kids, they can grow speaking multiple languages fluently.

I grew up speaking English. I'm not fluent in any other languages but i can speak a little bit of Espanolish, Deutsch, and Ruskii yazik.
i can say "I don't speak French" with a perfect French accent apparently, bc French people always think i'm joking when I tell them that.

but over the years I have learned how to start a bar fight in over a dozen languages fwtw...

Back