• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What to do about Gaming Burnout?

Dartpaw

Bells
I don't know what it is, but lately I've been burnt out of all my games. I have no desire to go back to "most" of them. It's like, I want to enjoy them, but I can't force myself to play them.

Can anyone relate, and does anyone know what to do about such a situation?

I've definitely felt this before. I've burnt out Assassin's Creed, Skyrim, Dragon's Dogma, Battleblock Theatre, and many other games.Only multiplayer would bring me back to them.
My solution is to take a break from them and do some retro-gaming. :)
(example: sonic adventure 2 w/ the chaos, crash bandicoot, spyro, etc.)

Thanks :D but to be honest, I was talking about all of my games, both retro and new. I can't get into the older games any more than the modern stuff.

Edit: actually the only game I can get into atm is Dragon Quest IX for DS. Everything else I just can't get enough urging to play.

I think I need a break from gaming for a while entirely :) I seem to remember that reading a book for a good while recharges my want for gaming.

Edit again: Heh it's kinda funny, talking about all of this is putting me in a gaming mindset. I guess I just needed the right motivation. :)

Last edited:
Thanks :D but to be honest, I was talking about all of my games, both retro and new. I can't get into the older games any more than the modern stuff.

Edit: actually the only game I can get into atm is Dragon Quest IX for DS. Everything else I just can't get enough urging to play.

I think I need a break from gaming for a while entirely :) I seem to remember that reading a book for a good while recharges my want for gaming.

Edit again: Heh it's kinda funny, talking about all of this is putting me in a gaming mindset. I guess I just needed the right motivation. :)

Oh, sorry! My solution for that is what you said - I have other hobbies that are really fun! Taking a 2-3 month break always seems to do the trick :)

Oh, sorry! My solution for that is what you said - I have other hobbies that are really fun! Taking a 2-3 month break always seems to do the trick :)

Oh true :) and thanks.

I need to find more hobbies. I do love writing, maybe I'll do that more, but as I said, talking about it somewhat helped :3

Last edited:
Seems to me like your problem has been solved!

I get into a gaming rut like that too sometimes. Taking on forums definitely helps. And if nothing else I'll usually find a tv show or anime to watch and sometimes an episode will inspire me to play a certain game again.

Sometimes it's better to not play when you're feeling burnout. One of the podcasts I would listen to religiously often got questions related to gaming burnout, their answer was to just not play when you feel that way. If gaming starts feeling more like a job or chore, it's time to stop and enjoy something else.

i do something else or play another game i feel like playing a bit more. then i come back later and play again when i feel like it more or when i dont feel tired from just thinking about playing the game lol. there are sooo many games that i played a bit, put down and then started playing it again 6 months later and binged it :0

Stop gaming for a while and focus on other hobbies (or get another hobby if you don't have any) instead. I didn't game as much during the PS2 era thanks to burnout. But I picked it back up with the Xbox 360 and have been huge into it ever since. (I've been gaming since NES era.)

Back