Do you like the Tier List?

PacV

Vasea Mayor, Zenda Islander and Borelia Villager.
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
I mean... Do you like that the Villagers in the game are attached to a popularity rate?

My thought: When we talk about selling purposes, yes, it can be useful, but when we talk about decide who come to live to your town i think that is like pick the Villagers someone like instead that ones you like.

What about you?

I kind of wish the tier list didn't exist. There are a lot of cute villagers that don't get the attention they deserve. Also, I feel guilty having high tier villagers in my town because they're very popular. I can't help who I like, though.

I kind of wish the tier list didn't exist. There are a lot of cute villagers that don't get the attention they deserve. Also, I feel guilty having high tier villagers in my town because they're very popular. I can't help who I like, though.

Having popular Villagers is not the problem, having popular Villagers just because they're popular is the problem.

i think it's kind of silly because ultimately you should have villagers in your town that you like, regardless if they're super popular or not :) if anything it just makes selling villagers easy for those who like to do that because top of the tier equals higher prices, lol

The tier lists are not meant to tell you who should live in your town. The creators of the past lists have stated all the time that it is solely based for selling villagers/cycling. Shame on you if you use the lists to choose which villagers are in your town because the people who have made the lists have encouraged everyone not to use the list to choose your villagers.

Last edited:
Having popular Villagers is not the problem, having popular Villagers just because they're popular is the problem.

To clarify, I meant I felt guilty for having high tier villagers. I like them because most of them are cute or unique. Knowing that they're popular and choosing to move them in anyway is where my guilt stems from.

I have seen people in the past misusing the list or people actually getting 'upset' because they don't have any popular villagers, I didn't see it here..but I do remember seeing someone calling all 'tier 5' villagers 'ugly'.

The list was really made for people to sell villagers, not a cute and ' elegant' contest or I must have Marshal and Diana because they're popular.

Edit: Also, I seen people go as far as calling people villager's trash tier if they're not popular.

Last edited:
I don't use tier lists when deciding who my villagers will be. I think it's used mostly for a guide for sellers. It would be silly to pick villagers based on popularity. I happen to have a lot of popular villagers in my town, but I don't have them for that reason. I just have common tastes as the majority.

Personally, I'm not a fan of it, sometimes I would see some of my favorites in spots that would be rather low such as Rod and Agnes.

If it weren't for the fact that it's needed for selling matters, there wouldn't be a reason to have a list here. :eek:

I didn't even know there was a tier list when I had my first town and I didn't use it to choose the villagers for my second town.

Why is it needed for selling/buying/trading? Why aren't all villagers the same value? As PacV says, it is based on some popularity poll. And out of the multitudes of people who play Animal Crossing, how many were polled?

For me... I think it would depend on what the "Tier List" is used for. Never thought about a "Tier List" for whenever I played Animal Crossing. At the moment... I just pick villagers that I like despite the "Tier List" for my town. I think it is more fun to have villagers that one would like to make the gaming experience of Animal Crossing more enjoyable.

I think it's horrible because all my favorite villagers are tier 5. But that could also be a good thing because I would be able to get my faves for low prices. Depends on how you look at it lmao

I used to like the tier list and feel very conscious about the villagers I have but over the years of playing, I've tried most of the ones that are extremely popular (through cycling) and I would say I kinda got over that fascination of having them. Some I've learned to really like, others were like "I don't know why they became popular". They're just probably not my preference. So when the welcome amiibo update came, I went through the new/returning list of villagers blindly and chose who I really like. The tier for these villagers didn't exist for a while. I'm used to when they weren't placed in a rank or something than seeing the list right now. It's all good but I don't mind where my villagers are.

I don't pay much attention to the tier list since I got a bunch of amiibo cards for my favourite​ villagers.

When I do have a browse, it sometimes amuses me to see how unpopular some of my favourite villagers are! ;)

In the sense that it's useful when it comes to selling villagers, yes. However, it does irk me a little bit when I see people choosing their dreamies just based on popularity, at the end of the day every villager is the same no matter how "popular" or "cute" or "unique" they are. I'll admit, there was a point where I felt ashamed to have unpopular or "ugly" villagers in my town that I liked, because I felt like my town wasn't good enough or appealing enough to other players because I didn't have the "cute" villagers. However if these popular villagers are villagers that people genuinely like, then that's completely fine with me.

In the sense that it's useful when it comes to selling villagers, yes. However, it does irk me a little bit when I see people choosing their dreamies just based on popularity, at the end of the day every villager is the same no matter how "popular" or "cute" or "unique" they are. I'll admit, there was a point where I felt ashamed to have unpopular or "ugly" villagers in my town that I liked, because I felt like my town wasn't good enough or appealing enough to other players because I didn't have the "cute" villagers. However if these popular villagers are villagers that people genuinely like, then that's completely fine with me.

I mean, from a gameplay perspective, it does not matter AT ALL whether you have high tier villagers or low tier villagers so one could argue what the point is in having a villager tier list anyway.
Also you shouldn't be ashamed of your villager, everyone has their own tastes after all!

I don't pay much attention to the tier list since I got a bunch of amiibo cards for my favourite​ villagers.

When I do have a browse, it sometimes amuses me to see how unpopular some of my favourite villagers are! ;)

Same! Wendy amiibo card ftw :D

Last edited:
Honestly I can't stand the tier lists. Neither for selling nor choosing villagers for your own town. I think a lot of people would like tier 4-5 villagers but think they're ugly or uncool and they have to like tier 1 villagers. I can understand why tier 1 villagers are popular, a lot of them are cute, buy I think too many us choose or like them just because they're popular. I like Fauna, because I had her in my WW town. I didn't knew that she would be that popular one day. Maybe a lot of us have a story like that for villagers that are tier 1 but that's rare i think. Everyone should do what he wants in his own town, but to me it's gross (idk another better word) when someone just chooses out of popularity.

It doesn't bother me at all. I have looked at it and my favorites are in the 1-3 tier range, but I think that is because of their looks. Sorry if it sounds shallow but it's true! I, along with many, just wouldn't be happy seeing a villager like Sylvia, Beardo or Charlise stomping around in the town. I HAVE before, back when cards weren't a thing. Now my gameplay is so much more enjoyable when I walk around and talk to all my little villagers that I find appealing and go with the overall theme of my town. It just so happens that my favorite little villagers happen to be a lot of other people's favorites too! I just totally wouldn't recommend going off it to chose your dreamies. If you just love Sylvia's purple glow and side part, or Beardo's mustache thing, or Charlise and all of her big green bear-ness, then by all means! Some of them have very awesome house exteriors. As far as them having great personalities, let's face it... They all have the same dialogue and favors to ask of you haha. So sometimes it has to come down to looks and what appeals to you. That's just what I think though!

Last edited:
I like the tier list if i'm selling such and such villager, but I happen to have all my current villagers cards. But I also hate when people choose villagers just because they are popular. I have a few populars in my villager and I just love them :S!

Last edited:
The tier list has it's uses but thinking about it I really don't like it. Like many have said some people might feel bad for having unpopular villagers and a lot of people stock up on popular villagers to sell, meaning low popularity villagers are less likely to come up for sale and are more quickly voided. Ed is my favorite villager in the game and he's so hard to find on the market because he's not popular.

I think the new welcome amiibo helps a lot though so the their list can start being used for its intended purpose again - helping both sellers and buyers of villagers get an idea of the villagers demand to determine its worth, because honestly supply and demand should be a thing and unpopular villagers shouldn't be as expensive as popular ones.

Last edited:
Back