Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia General Discussion

I love Hidari but I'm not paying $100 for the limited edition (Australia)...

Probably going to get the NA version when it goes on sale and import the JP limited ed.

Finally got to Act 4, this week has been kinda weird for me so it took me a while.
The final Act 3 maps for both Alm and Celica were both pretty easy, but WOW the difficulty ramped up for both of them, now even the first level for both of them in 4 is a huge difficulty spike and I may need to grind a few levels.
I now regret making both Kliff and Faye mages, Alm's team is flooded with mages now. Faye as a Peg. Knight probably would've been a better idea, but too late.
Saber is still silly.

Finally got to Act 4, this week has been kinda weird for me so it took me a while.
The final Act 3 maps for both Alm and Celica were both pretty easy, but WOW the difficulty ramped up for both of them, now even the first level for both of them in 4 is a huge difficulty spike and I may need to grind a few levels.
I now regret making both Kliff and Faye mages, Alm's team is flooded with mages now. Faye as a Peg. Knight probably would've been a better idea, but too late.
Saber is still silly.

I made Faye and Clair Pegasus Knights since Pegasus Knights are good at taking down Terrors and magic wielders.

Beware of Witches, Cantors and Arcanists. Witches are my worst nightmare. They can teleport anywhere on the battlefield and mostly target the armored units. Arcanists spam the hell out of Mire and Miasma. Cantors always spawn Terrors, before they decide to spam you with Mire or Death. I recommend taking them out with a Pegasus Knight, asap.

Last edited:
How is this game compared to Fates and Awakening? I pick up every FE game at release but I didn't pick this one up for some reason.

A bit off topic, but Fire Emblem Heroes is my first Fire Emblem game and has made me want to pick up Echoes! How is the game?

How is this game compared to Fates and Awakening? I pick up every FE game at release but I didn't pick this one up for some reason.
Compared to them, this game is simpler in a lot of ways. No weapon triangle, and with the exception of Villagers everyone has only 1 class that they can be, and they can't change it, nor do their promotions feature branching paths. You can give the Villager's Fork to someone to turn them into a villager and therefore letting them go down 1 of 4 or 5 (depending on their gender) class routes, but you get a limited amount of them. Missions are much quicker as there aren't the usual set 26~28 chapters this time, there's a few smaller missions (the maps themselves are larger in most cases though :lemon:) that you can tackle in a somewhat free order after a certain point. Of course there are still some missions that can take over an hour to beat, but those are for the most part important late-game missions, the majority can be done in 15-30 minutes. Weapons also never break similar to Fates gaidendiditfirst but they also don't have those silly side effects of "oh you can use this but you can't make crits or use abilities lelelelel." Passive skills are gone and instead you gain abilities through whatever item you're holding, or depending on your class. Some of them are passive, such as the Dread Fighter's Apotrope, which halves all magical damage taken, or the Iron Bow's Curved Shot, which is an ability that you manually activate and gives you higher damage, hit, and crit rates, but prevents you from doubling. Speaking of archers, they can hit MUCH farther in this game, 1-3 spaces is the norm (yes bow users can hit at melee range normally), and the later you get you can potentially hit from 7 spaces away, so they're really helpful compared to how they were in Awakening. The only downside is that bows aren't universally effective against fliers, only certain bows are. Thankfully you don't battle very many fliers, and not very many enemy archers have anti-flier bows so it works out in your favor. Also mages and healers have to sacrifice their own HP to use magic; and more is used the better the heal/damage is. Mila's Turnwheel is also added, which lets you turn back to a previous turn. This is helpful for if one of your units got crited and died, or you accidentally hit wait when you meant to hit attack. Hit rates are also back to how they were in older games, have fun missing wayyyyy more. There's also 3D dungeons to explore so that's pretty cool. Pair up is gone but supports are still here.
Gaiden in general is super different so I probably missed some stuff.
A bit off topic, but Fire Emblem Heroes is my first Fire Emblem game and has made me want to pick up Echoes! How is the game?
So for the most part, you'll notice the exact opposite of everything I said above :p (read the part above too though). Missions are much longer and have you controlling and battling way more units in much larger maps. Normal FE games also have a hit and critical (shortened to crit most of the time) %, so attacks have the potential to miss, but you also have a chance to deal higher damage. Different terrain (such as everyone's favorite forests) can affect hit rates, and can sometimes heal or hurt you. Cavalry can also run into/through forests in this game, but everyone still has lower movement when going through them. Characters can also develop into different classes, and even though there aren't as many options as in other FE games, you get to see them develop into better classes. Characters can also hold items, which can either be stronger weapons, shields to raise defenses, food that they can eat to restore HP, rings with different effects, and other stuff. Characters also have WAY more stats than in Heroes. Physical attack and Magic are divided into 2 separate stats (as some units like Celica can use both) Edit: Nevermind, Attack and Magic are still merged into 1 stat. I thought they were seperate;
kinda embarrassing I didn't notice that until now with how far I am into the game. :p
, and the Luck and Skill stats are introduced. High skill=high hit rates, and high luck=lower enemy crit rates. Crit rates are usually determined by skill but I think they may be determined by luck in this game so it wouldn't hurt to load up on both.
Again I probably forgot to mention some stuff but you can watch this to get a somewhat better understanding of how it plays (the quality is really fuzzy but it's the best thing to show, and it isn't that far into the game either).

Last edited:
What did you guys make Atlas? I made him a Mercenary in my first play through. He's now a pretty good Dread Fighter but I'm wondering if Archer would have been better choice since I have 2 on Alm's side and they are super useful. That and Celica's side already has several good Mercenaries.

If anyone has made him an Archer how is he? Or even if you made him something different from merc.

What did you guys make Atlas? I made him a Mercenary in my first play through. He's now a pretty good Dread Fighter but I'm wondering if Archer would have been better choice since I have 2 on Alm's side and they are super useful. That and Celica's side already has several good Mercenaries.

If anyone has made him an Archer how is he? Or even if you made him something different from merc.

I made him an archer and he contributes nothing
Granted most of my gameplay involves throwing Dread Fighter Saber and Kamui into basically any kind of mess and watch as they kill everything while somehow staying at nearly full health but yeah, Leon is consistently better for me. Maybe he needs more investment but it isn't worth it imo when I could be training up... any other character really.

I made him an archer and he contributes nothing
Granted most of my gameplay involves throwing Dread Fighter Saber and Kamui into basically any kind of mess and watch as they kill everything while somehow staying at nearly full health but yeah, Leon is consistently better for me. Maybe he needs more investment but it isn't worth it imo when I could be training up... any other character really.

I know Atlas has low skill and speed so that's why I played it safe in going with Mercenary for him. I wonder if a Killer Bow would help or not as an Archer?

Start with Awakening, Echoes isn't a good first time fe I since its kind of a black sheep, granted its a ton of fun though but it'll be a lot different than anything you're used to in heroes.

Not done with it yet but holy **** Berkut's fight was intense. I think that was the longest fight I've had so far in this game, I was basically killing 1 or 2 enemies per turn just to make sure it went well (I even had to trap one of the dread fighters in a corner with Gray and Lukas because those pricks don't die). Thankfully Faye got a much needed crit on Berkut so it was all fine. First getting the killing blow on Rudolf, now Berkut, she's killing all of Alm's family to make sure there's nobody to stop her from having Alm oops.
I also started crying a bit at the cut scenes at the end of act 4 and all of act 5. I know the events (since the game is so obvious about its "twists," I mean DESAIX JUST TELLS YOU "OH UR RUDOLF'S SON BTW NOW BRB DYING" AND THEN ALM IS SURPRISED BY IT LATER SOMEHOW LIKE HE'S NEVER HEARD ANYTHING ABOUT IT BEFORE, PLUS ALL OF THE SUBTLE HINTS LIKE "OH THIS COLD AIR IS FAMILIAR BUT IT'S NOTHING, NOT LIKE EVERYONE ELSE IS ALMOST FROZEN WHILE I'M FINE.
...Celica gets hate for being dumb but Alm deserves some flak too.

Oh yeah, voice acting is great and the delivering is 10/10 throughout the entire game, makes me cry. :lemon: Berkut is probably the best though, his rant scenes are so powerful.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Add-in: One of Delthea's crit quotes is "SORRY NOT SORRY!" which is the best crit quote thus far, no contest.

Oh yeah I beat the final boss earlier.
It look me over 2 hours at least. Not particularly hard, but just really tedious. Maybe there's some way to cheese it that I didn't notice but I beat it on my first try anyways so who cares.
Now time to grind forever for exp and good weapons for the bonus content yaaaaaaaaaaay this is totally fair and not tedious at all! Maybe the Internet overexaggerated it but looking at videos, they seem to be right

Clair with Gradivus is a goddess btw

I KILLED SONYA CAUSE U THOUGHT YOU FOUGHT THE ONE U WANTED ****

My favorite supports so far are Leon and Valbar what a romance. And Silque and Faye.

The Internet seems to think that Clair is a burden and horrible unit but she actually does really well for me? I gave her the ridersbane and she has decent attack and the highmovwment and lack of enemies with anti-fliers makes her really useful for me

The Internet seems to think that Clair is a burden and horrible unit but she actually does really well for me? I gave her the ridersbane and she has decent attack and the highmovwment and lack of enemies with anti-fliers makes her really useful for me

She's bad in Gaiden and some people think that Echoes copied absolutely everything from the original without any balance changes whatsoever.

So I've officially beat the main story and now I'm exploring the new unlocked dungeon. I died halfway through, but at least I know what lies ahead. Back to grinding for me!

Back