• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What do you think of/do you use Uber/Lyft, Americans? (or other countries)

Because taxis actually have to follow things like safety laws. Their drivers have to have special licenses, their cars have to be rigorously maintained, and they also have to make enough per fare to cover downtown between jobs.

I definitely know this Yaezakura. :) Many of them have told me this, and so have my mother and sister. It's just a lot more safe where I live, so I'm not as wary about it. Thanks for the input, though :D

I am also well aware of the horror stories, I guess my view has been tinted a bit because my age group and generation seems to not really give that a second thought other than "be slightly careful if your a female rider with a male driver". I have some mainstream tendencies, so I guess I'm just part of the hype.

I definitely wouldn't use Uber: in a place where I'm unfamiliar (if alone), out of the country, or when I become "drunk" for the first time (which many people still do that).

Last edited:
Where I live is a bit too rural for any of those apps so I don't have any experiences with em

I've used both and all of those times were when I took a trip for something school related and most of us didn't have our cars. They weren't much different in terms of what you get from the drivers; it just depended on the person. I had a conversation with one of the guys driving us, and he was cool. The others didn't talk too much, but none of them ever gave us a problem. When I'm in my hometown though, I try to avoid it as much as possible lol. I just have someone I know pick me up if needed. Once my cousins used uber and the driver was too harsh on the breaks and his car smelled terrible. Bad luck I guess.

I've taken uber about three times.
My first driver was okay. Not really personable but not rude either. My second two were very friendly and it was a nice chat to the airport. It was cheaper to just take Uber's to and from the airport than to have our car stored at their lot. So, I would do it again. :)

My experience with Uber hasn't been great but it's perfect for when you're in a pinch. There have been some near life-saving moments where I've used Uber. My brother and his friends were out drinking and one guy got so loaded that he started fighting with random people in the bar. They were thinking of driving home but he was acting violent. They needed everyone to restrain him while the driver drove them home. Also, my ride bailed on me when I was in LA and I had no way of getting to the train station in time using the infamously bad public transportation in LA so I Ubered there and got there in time for my train. I've had plenty of bad experiences and I rarely use it. My first Uber ride, the guy tried to rip me off by going around in circles saying we were lost even though I told him quite clearly where to go and showed him Google Maps on my phone AND he had a GPS. He kept saying he wasn't familiar with the area. One guy was so weirdly obsessed with why I wasn't married. He kept prying and I was sitting in the back thinking bruh I just want to go to Fedex... We don't have Uber in the country I live in now but we have Kakao Taxi. I don't know enough Korean to use it though, I'm afraid. The taxis are fairly cheap here and they're easy to catch in Seoul but harder to find in some other cities.

I've never taken an Uber or Lyft although I'm no opposed to it. I prefer to drive myself though since I have a car. And I know a lot of people who drive for those companies but I'm not really interested in doing it myself.

my friends use it but nowhere i go is that far away so i just walk or take the train as its cheaper+quicker

I used the real Uber (not the shady pop version) once when I had to go to my bf's place because they cut off that whole underground line and the driver was cool so yeah as long you don't get creeps it's cool.

I think it is a super cool idea, but I am not a very trusting person, and honestly, people kinda scare me. I'm somewhat of an anxious person, and being socially awkward makes it worse, so I would never tske an uber. Maybe if I was in a group of people, bur mever alone or by choice. I know they have rating systems and all, but what if my driver is secretly a psycho?

- - - Post Merge - - -

Curse my tiny keyboard

When I used to live in downtown, I used Lyft all the time. I liked their shared rides since they were just $5 and I don't mind other people riding along. Uber, I heard more unsettling stories, so it made me feel really nervous especially as a woman.

I'm not particularly chatty, but I've met really nice people. The one that stands out was a business man, who goes on work trips to Japan frequently. He was telling me how beautiful their hanami festival (cherry blossom) is and I should really see it for myself.

i havent had to take an uber, but i had to call someone an uber yesterday.

- - - Post Merge - - -

but personally, i don't like it. at least in a taxi, i know that they are legally allowed to drive it, whereas in an uber they might not have real credentials. i think they do ask for a private hire license and an eligible vehicles to become an uber driver though

i got super unlucky the first few times, and i gave up.

first time: i was excited to use it, i was like yeah awesome and i was going to the airport, and the guy was nice at first, but he had TERRIBLE road rage, like he beeped his horn, drove in front of the person who passed him, and flipped a finger. and he parked at the wrong place while i was getting off the car even though i told him which terminal i was supposed to go to, and parked where buses were going in, which resulted in a lot of people yelling at me while he drove away. 1 star.

second time: he had a bad phone and thick accent, and i was getting out of the airport. there's only one way out, so i was confused when he said where, and he even went to the drop off. with the noise outside the airport, and the clear instructions he just wasn't getting, i decided to call another uber.

third time: it was from the airport, after the first guy failed, he was quiet, and he got me home, which is the best uber experience i had so far.

i had to use lyft in taiwan before it got banned i think, this is where i went during my trip to the airport, and literally a guy with flame stickers on his car, he looked like a street racing guy, was a lot more polite than the americans i tried to uber with. i deleted the app after i got home and promised to learn how to drive, which i am doing right now.

I've used Uber before. It's very convenient when traveling to get picked up/dropped off at the airport/etc. I've never used it in the area I live though since I own a car and never have had the need for someone to drive me somewhere local

I'll only use one with a male friend of mine. Will not use with just girls. I don't think it's safe.

I took a Lyft once with a friend. We were leaving a candy store, which I had received a freebie chocolate bar from after purchasing some chocolate strawberries. Our driver was friendly, though had told us she had been having a bad day. I felt bad for her, so I ended up giving her the free chocolate bar. It really made her day and it made me glad that it cheered her up.

I would never personally take Lyft or Uber by myself. However, after that experience, I don't think I'm 100% against them. I just feel like they need to be regulated for safety.

Last edited:
Back