• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What do you think of/do you use Uber/Lyft, Americans? (or other countries)

Brookie

💎 We don't talk about Bruno-no-no-no 💎
Bells
Switch
1118-4461-2529
White Pansy
White Cosmos
December Birthstone (Turquoise)
Purple Violet
April Birthstone (Diamond)
Purple Violet
White Lily
ど
Winter Mittens
Winter Mittens
title says it all :)

I used to have to take Uber to my college 3 times a week for 4 months (it was only 15 minutes away, so it didn't cost much), because I was on my depression medication and my doctor advised me to stay away from driving for 3 -4 months (it makes u a little drowsy and disoriented).

It was quite fun meeting all those different people. Not once, have I met a rude Uber driver.

Last edited:
I don't live anywhere near large enough to be able to use these services.

I think it's absolutely wonderful. Really wonderful.

I'm seriously considering it, once I'm old enough and stuff. I'm looking forward to learning to drive myself, but I may try it just for a laugh.

I think it's absolutely wonderful. Really wonderful.

I'm seriously considering it, once I'm old enough and stuff. I'm looking forward to learning to drive myself, but I may try it just for a laugh.

You mean consider having your own job as one, or riding one?

dont use it but i dont take taxis either tbh i'd rather walk for four hours than take a cab or something like that bc of anxiety

If it's cheaper than a taxi, I'd say use it. Seriously, screw taxis and their expensive prices. I'd rather walk.

Not my thing. I'm not a fan of entrusting my life to entirely unregulated people without proper licenses and training for the job they're supposedly doing. I'm much happier being a regular client of a cab company who's drivers I've come to know and trust.

Used Lyft once since I was on vacation and without a vehicle, it was pretty pleasant. Had a nice long chat with the driver while we were stuck in convention traffic.

I've used Uber when I was on vacation and it was awesome. Much cheaper than a cab service.

I wish my city was large enough to have Uber. Our cab companies are unreliable and expensive, the city transit only runs every 30 minutes in my area, to a point where it's easier to drive. Even if I am out drinking during the evening I call a friend or family to come pick me up if I am to impaired.

I've used uber and lyft a few times. I don't have a car and everything I need is easily acessable by walking, so usually I don't have a need for it. Everyone who's driven me has been very nice, and I had a great conversation with two of my drivers. One was a mother of three and the other was a retired lawyer. Usually I don't talk much with the people driving me besides small talk but those two drivers gave me a lot of great advice. One was a lyft driver so I have him a pretty nice tip and both got good reviews from me.

I think the whole uber/lift idea is great but I'm always a little wary of getting in a strangers car. In my experience it's cheaper than a taxi in my city and usually they're better about picking me up faster. Finding your uber in a busy place can be a little frustrating sometimes, one of mine drove around for a few minutes before we found each other and I'm sure it was annoying for her. :(

Uber is just convenient to have... my car got towed for bs reasons one time, didn't realize till I had to be at work, so i called an uber.

The only time I used Lyft, my friend called it for us and almost threw up in the car (it was his 21st bday) I had to hold a trash bag up to his face... the driver was very understandable and we didn't get a drop in his car, so it was fine. The same guy drove us the next day and we had a good laugh about it. I just don't use it because I'm more familiar with uber and have had no complaints.

Scratch that, I had one uber driver call and say she was going to pick us up and take us to jail. The app freaked out and put my pick up location on the next street over. I tried calling her three times, no response, so like clearly i was trying to call her. One time I got her and it was bad connection, then she freaked out on me, charged me even though I hadn't been picked up, and then drove off. I got another uber shortly after and she said she would report the person lol

I've never used one before but I can see how neat it is, a lot of people prefer them to taxi's and being out in the middle of nowhere we don't have many taxi or Uber's but a few people have started Uber-ing so that's neat. I am more excited about the Uber food thing cause I need to to try that, I hate having to drive 30mins to Chinese food, bring it to me boiis. Also I have a Lyft mustache for my car but I just have it up in my room cause it would get stolen.

I've used Uber a fair bit, since I don't own a vehicle of my own. I'm learning to drive now though, got a car of mine so I don't think I'll need a Uber anymore.

It's not as a big thing in Australia, I was going to try Uber but someone I know said they didn't think it was very safe? Lol

Well, it's not really un-safe here in America. I'm generally wary of strangers in general, so I never just fall asleep in the car XD I will listen to music sometimes though, but tell them beforehand so they don't try to chat up a storm lol

I haven't used it before but where I live there's a huge controversy about how it's taking money from taxi drivers and ick it' just annoying that people say that like... it's a business, uber seems so much more convenient and generally cheaper than taxis anyway so obviously people will use them. I honestly have not had a single pleasant taxi ride in my life, the driver has either been sketchy, had a smelly car, or slow as hell, so I'd much prefer taking an uber, but I don't have much use for one, since I drive.

Last edited:
I haven't used it before but where I live there's a huge controversy about how it's taking money from taxi drivers and ick it' just annoying that people say that like... it's a business, uber seems so much more convenient and generally cheaper than taxis anyway so obviously people will use them. I honestly have not had a single pleasant taxi ride in my life, the driver has either been sketchy, had a smelly car, or slow as hell, so I'd much prefer taking an uber, but I don't have much use for one, since I drive.

I agree with this. Taxi drivers seem to usually be on the sketchy side (not ALL), but they kind of just rub me the wrong way. I much rather prefer taking Uber/Lyft and even gained some useful knowledge about moving forward in life from some of them.

Alright, this kind of needs to be said... do you know why real taxis cost more than an Uber driver? Because taxis actually have to follow things like safety laws. Their drivers have to have special licenses, their cars have to be rigorously maintained, and they also have to make enough per fare to cover downtown between jobs.

Uber bypasses all of this by having random people with no experience or credentials drive you. There's no telling how well maintained their car is, how good a driver they are, nothing. Uber drivers are just literally whoever signs up on their website. They go through less vetting than your local pizza delivery driver. The costs are low because all car maintenance comes out of the pocket of the individual drivers, so long-term, they get shafted while Uber itself skims money off the top for basically providing nothing but a matchmaking service.

And all of this lack of oversight or regulation has lead to more than a few Uber horror stories.

Back