• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

How the heck do you go about making 20k tbt? And why are collectibles so expensive???

xSuperMario64x

Canadian at heart 💜🇨🇦
Peach 🍑
Coconut 🥥
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
8558-0128-9692
Island
He/him
Green Bunny Balloon
Cyan Bunny Balloon
Snow Bunny
Fresh Feather
Cool Feather
Okay, so I noticed that some of the collectibles on here are like crazy expensive which is also crazy ridiculous and I was wondering how someone goes about making enough tbt to even get them??

I mean, it can't possibly be selling stuff unless they sell them for OUTRAGEOUS prices. Or maybe they just spend every waking hour selling stuff for TBT in ACNL.

And why are collectibles so EXPENSIVE? I mean, come on, 19,000 TBT for a POKEBALL??? Are you kidding me???

Is there no one else out there as baffled as I am??

The richest people I've met here got their TBT Bells from selling graphics, though that isn't really popular anymore. Artists still have a good shot at it, though.

I have so much just because I hardly ever buy anything.

Okay, so I noticed that some of the collectibles on here are like crazy expensive which is also crazy ridiculous and I was wondering how someone goes about making enough tbt to even get them??

I mean, it can't possibly be selling stuff unless they sell them for OUTRAGEOUS prices. Or maybe they just spend every waking hour selling stuff for TBT in ACNL.

And why are collectibles so EXPENSIVE? I mean, come on, 19,000 TBT for a POKEBALL??? Are you kidding me???

Is there no one else out there as baffled as I am??

Just as baffled as you are that people would waste so much on a jpeg of a feather instead of getting something useful like shiny pokemon.

Just as baffled as you are that people would waste so much on a jpeg of a feather instead of getting something useful like shiny pokemon.

In fairness, you could argue that either one would be completely useless. A shiny Pok?mon is just a 3D model in a video game.

In fairness, you could argue that either one would be completely useless. A shiny Pok?mon is just a 3D model in a video game.

But it in a sense is still more useful than a 20x20 JEPG image below your avatar.

Well, yeah, but in comparison at least a shiny Pokemon does something in a game and has more interactivity. I mean hey, if the shiny is competitive you could win a tournament and get something out of it. But hey thats just me. Who knows someone may value tiny jpegs unlike me or something.

Last edited:
Well, yeah, but in comparison at least a shiny Pokemon does something in a game and has more interactivity. I mean hey, if the shiny is competitive you could win a tournament and get something out of it. But hey thats just me. Who knows someone may value tiny jpegs unlike me or something.

Certain collectibles mean a lot to me. My trophy collectible is like a big slap in the face to all the folks here who got salty at me for pounding them in Smash Bros. as Bayonetta, the Valentine's Roses that show up on Valentine's Day remind me of all my closest friends, and I have a bunch that were randomly gifted to me by generous folks here.

For me it's more about the personal connection than the visuality.

Certain collectibles mean a lot to me. My trophy collectible is like a big slap in the face to all the folks here who got salty at me for pounding them in Smash Bros. as Bayonetta, the Valentine's Roses that show up on Valentine's Day remind me of all my closest friends, and I have a bunch that were randomly gifted to me by generous folks here.

I see. I guess I just never really had a personal connection to any of them, but I can see that. I dunno though I just dont get working towards 8000 just for an egg with a galaxy pattern if you just wanted one and had no personal connection.then again people collect everything, including me with stuff like Pokemon cards so who am I to talk?

I could see something like that being worth a lot of money. But an egg?

I could see something like that being worth a lot of money. But an egg?

Well yeah buying an egg isn't worth the 8000 when you could get something more useful on a game like pokemon or a.c. but earning something without buying it for a better reason can warrant personal connections. Such as my full art lele you've heard so much about. I would not spend hours getting one on fhe ptcgo, I already hate that program but pulling it made it priceless somewhat

I was interested in the methods people employ to earn an incredible number of tbt, but the discussion on collectibles is interesting. I do wonder why people are so tied to collectibles but I think people who've been here for a long amount of time are more likely to find value in them. I just think they're neat and are another method of personalization, but I am more likely to spend them on something I can use in other games (igb, pokemon, etc)

I don't think reductionism is really important when discussing a currency developed for a niche forum.

But I'm just the person who wasted all their money on pears, hahah ~

I was interested in the methods people employ to earn an incredible number of tbt, but the discussion on collectibles is interesting. I do wonder why people are so tied to collectibles but I think people who've been here for a long amount of time are more likely to find value in them. I just think they're neat and are another method of personalization, but I am more likely to spend them on something I can use in other games (igb, pokemon, etc)

I don't think reductionism is really important when discussing a currency developed for a niche forum.

Oh hey I did that too once. And then instantly regretted it realizing I could have gotten a decent amount of shinies with it lol

Yeah, I guess so.

I still can't grasp how someone thinks an egg could be worth 3,250 tbt. Or how a feather can be worth 23,000 tbt. It just doesn't make any sense.

I suppose the pricing is very troublesome. If that's what you were referring to I unfortunately missed it.

You're right about the feathers and eggs. I don't judge people for getting them, but their willingness to fork over that amount of tbt is interesting. Usually prices are determined by supply and demand, but I'm not entirely sure if economic theory is so predictable on an online forum. I can imagine some people go to great lengths do get the rarer collectibles and their value will steadily increase over time. It feels like collectibles themselves are their own currency, but also back tbt, haha.

I'm still unsure how people come up with the tbt/igb conversion, but apparently there's a rate people can just find somewhere. But I don't think anything that can be used outside the forum has any real influence on tbt or collectible worth. I imagine it's sort of like different countries trying to find ways to discern the value of things between different games, but collectibles aren't concerned at all, only with social standing or personal economic priorities. It would be neat to see what happened with the eggs if there were very few won and compare to a scenario where many people got them. Or if the eggs weren't particularly well-designed...

but again, I don't put much weight on these ramblings.

It's actually a supply and demand problem. I know that 20,000 TBT seems pretty excessive, but the price is high for a reason. The collectible is highly rare, either because most users owning some have left or refuse to sell theirs (like the Pokeball), or because the staff didn't stock many (like the black feather). Another reason why is because the currency is high supply. If the combined wealth of the entire site was like in the lower 6-digit numbers (including the TBT shop), Pokeballs would've been as cheap as 2,000 TBT, which is excessively high by those standards.

You should also remember that the TBT Marketplace doesn't work like the shop, at least in pricing. At all conditions, you'll need as many as 20,000 TBT to buy one Pokeball from another member. When they were in stock back in 2013, they were 74 TBT each (yes, the price was that low).

It's true that a lot of the richer members on the site actually sold art and graphics, but there's an increasing trend that they'll ask for real money to draw anything you ask for, which is the only real-money transaction the site will allow. I think they're charging real money because of how TBT Bells got worthless (and because college has become very expensive while it has become an expectation rather than a bonus). So basically, the even richer members got their TBT bells from selling collectibles.

Last edited:
you've been here far longer than me, why are you of all people questioning this skewed economy

It just seems farfetched that something that once costed less than 100 tbt (which is already a lot of money on here) now costs 19,000 tbt. I just can't seem to grasp that concept. It's like buying a candy bar at the store for $1.00 and when the store stops selling it, it's value goes up to $190.00. It just doesn't seem right.

And it's too bad that there isn't a really good way to make tbt anymore, besides selling your collectibles. Makes it hard for the rest of us, who didn't have the opportunity to make a lot of tbt, to get the collectibles we want.

Honestly that scenario is giving me serious deja vu...

It is pretty annoying. I make my tbt by posting on the forum, sometimes selling AC patterns, or selling collectibles. My advice is to buy event collectibles if you can even if you don't want them because then you can sell them later. I don't know how users have thousands of tbt though. I currently have 854, and that is a lot for me.

As a lover of collectibles, I agree that prices are insane. The most TBT I've had at one time is about 4,000, and that's only because my extremely generous friend was leaving this forum and said I could have all of his TBT. Even when I had that much, I gave some away to my close friends. The TBT quickly drained away when I bought only a couple of collectibles I wanted, like a Peach and a Pink House. Some of my collectibles I wouldn't even have, like my birthstones, my Popsicle, and my Blue Balloon if members here hadn't given them to me out of the kindness of their hearts. So I'm forced to just stare in jealousy whenever I see someone with rarities like the glow wands and the feathers, because I know I'll never be able to afford them.

A normally-valued galaxy egg for about 8,000 TBT would be 1,600,000,000 IGB. (200k IGB = 1 TBT) THAT IS INSANE!

Back