• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Women Proposing to Men?

Millysaurusrexjr

Got 2 Be Real
Bells
Island
Melursus
Red Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
Red Hyacinth
Yellow Hyacinth
Flimsy Watering Can
White Hyacinth
Red Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
Red Hyacinth
Bee Plush
Finally thought of an interesting question to ask here that I don't think has been asked before.. What do you think of women proposing marriage to men instead of the other way around?

(assuming you're a woman in to guys) Would you ever do it? Have you done it?

Men who are in to women - how would you feel if the woman you were dating proposed to you?

There's nothing wrong with a woman proposing to a man. If a man's ego can easily be hurt by that, I think he may need to rethink a few things about himself, and maybe he isn't ready for a mature relationship. If a man and a woman love each other, then who cares which gender proposes first? As long as they are both on the same page in their relationship, then it doesn't matter. I know lots of people make fun of men who get proposed to, or make fun of women who propose to their men, but that's ridiculous. Why are certain actions gender based?? Lol. It doesn't make a man any less of a man, or make a woman undesirable. This is a social construct that needs to disappear please!

Last edited:
With my engagement the proposal wasn't a huge surprise, and it shouldn't be really. Me and my now husband talked about marriage for two years, and when we were ready we even looked at rings together - so he knew what I liked.

The day he proposed was a surprise, but I knew I was eventually getting that ring.

I don't really see it any difference from a woman proposing to a man versus a man proposing to a woman. At the end of the day, it's the marriage and commitment that is what's important. Not who asked who.

I don't see a difference, though I think my boyfriend would like to be the one to do it to be just because he hates how much I already spoil him. I think that if a guy is offended that a woman proposed to him rather than the other way around though, that he isn't worth giving the ring to. If you both want to get married, it shouldn't matter who does what.

I think I may have to do it because my boyfriend is taking forever. I don't have any fear about it because I know for a fact he wouldn't reject me after 6 years and having a kid together, but I would definitely prefer it if he did it.

I don't even want to get married anytime soon, I just want to be officially engaged. I wouldn't care if he gave me a plastic ring, I'm just so sick of having to use the word boyfriend when we have it kid.

i don't think i'd do it unless i truly loved the man and was tired of waiting. i always think it should be the men to propose lol

one (ex)girlfriend told me she'd buy me a car if I would marry her. sometimes I kinda wish I woulda taken her up on that, lol...

I don't think these days it matters who proposes, I imagine most people today have talked seriously about getting married anyhow before they do get engaged...

I think I may have to do it because my boyfriend is taking forever. I don't have any fear about it because I know for a fact he wouldn't reject me after 6 years and having a kid together, but I would definitely prefer it if he did it.

I don't even want to get married anytime soon, I just want to be officially engaged. I wouldn't care if he gave me a plastic ring, I'm just so sick of having to use the word boyfriend when we have it kid.

Honest question; if you want him to propose, why not tell him how you feel and ask him to do it? :) I'm sure he would understand, especially since it's been 6 years and you have a kid together!

- - - Post Merge - - -

I'm guessing this thread will somehow turn into an argument...

Oh I hope not, that's definitely not my intention with this thread. I'm just curious as I am a woman planning on proposing to my man. He knows it's coming, we're practically already unofficially engaged, I just wanna make it official. But my family is gonna think it's weird.

It doesn't matter especially if we've been in a relationship for a long time though I still prefer being that person who's gonna propose. I mean, in general I guess we're both comfortable enough not make it a big deal lol.

Being a guy, I would probably prefer to propose, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with a female proposing to a male. Besides, if either one is planning to propose, that would likely mean the two have been together for a long while and both feel comfortable. :)

I would feel more comfortable if I was the one proposing. It's not really a gender thing more so of a traditional perspective. Although, if I had a girlfriend I loved incredibly and she did unexpectedly propose to me I would by all means be happy with it.

I find the idea of proposal in general to be a little outdated. I'd prefer to just make the decision mutually with a partner. In fact if a guy proposed to me I'd probably be a little turned off by it.

I don't see a difference, though I think my boyfriend would like to be the one to do it to be just because he hates how much I already spoil him. I think that if a guy is offended that a woman proposed to him rather than the other way around though, that he isn't worth giving the ring to. If you both want to get married, it shouldn't matter who does what.

ME! I also kind of want my boyfriend to propose to me, I don't know why but I've always dreamed about the silly/awkward or really neat proposals. I used to have a dream about a boy proposing to me with a ring-pop under a bridge. I wouldn't be adverse to proposing to him though, in fact I've given it much thought and even looked at rings, I already got us promise rings after our second anniversary, really pretty koa wood rings, but they were more so to have "proof" of our togetherness and they're just really pretty. I wouldn't mind proposing to him and I just might eventually but who knows!

I think it sounds sweet! People are always getting creative with proposals. Obviously if someone doesn't want to be proposed to or feels insulted just because of fragile egos, then it's a sign they're not ready for a commitment. It also shows insecurity and allowing themselves to be confined by gender norms. Is that someone you'd want to spend the rest of your life with anyway?

You should absolutely talk to him. It's perfectly reasonable to have that discussion and especially because you have a child together. Tell him how you feel. Make it clear to him that this is important and that you should both come up with a compromise and timeline.

I personally think it's fine either way.

Marriage to me is a celebration of the simple love between two people, and I myself plan to just have a little non-legal ceremony someday and that's it. Hell, a nice picnic somewhere is the only kind of wedding I need. Who proposes is of little relevance to me.

Why not? I would probably be the one doing it if I had any intention of getting married, but I'm not planning getting married in this life.

I'd totally be down to proposing to my boyfriend! I actually got so into planning that I decided to ask my bf if he would mind if I proposed instead. He said he wanted to and already had ideas so I'll let him have it. XP

Last edited:
I've done it, lol. Idk why does the guy have to be the one anymore, it's century XXI already.

Back