• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Any landscaping tips?

gudetamae

cheese gimbap
Bells
Switch
7432-6982-3216
New Horizons Token
Hey there! So, after such a long time of putting it off, I'm finally going to start landscaping my town. I've been putting it off for a long time because it just seems too heavy for me to handle but after seeing all of your dream addresses I feel motivated to try it!

I'm trying to go for a relaxing-looking town with maybe some cobblestone or pink paths. I know that sounds kind of vague but I don't really know how to describe it. So, do you guys have any tips for a beginner on landscaping? Any tip from hybrids, bush starts, PATHS, to general landscaping will help a lot!

image.jpg

Here's my town layout if it helps. And also,

image.jpg

this irks me so much :( I have a pond and a rock that's near my train station.

Any advice/tips will help a great deal :)

One thing I will say is that paths tend to take up a LOT of qr space. Unless you use a single square path with no borders, corners, or edges, you'll need space on more than one character, so it gets to be a pain switching between them to work on it, but it comes together in the end.
I also find lining paths with trees, bushes, flowers, and pwps looks nice as well. Personally I try to stick with one type of flower in an area so it looks neater, and I also tend to use one bush style instead of using all of them. Since the bushes all have different leaves and different blooming times, it just looks more put together when they match.
Clovers also make really good decorating items, I like to use them in areas where I just can't seem to put anything else in, like small corners and such. I've attempted to use them as paths instead of QRs, but it was insanely time consuming and expensive.

Landscaping is going to take a lot of time and experimentation, so definitely be patient! My town is not yet complete, but here's some things that I do in my town/some suggestions:

-I try to hide rocks by planting a tree in front of it and maybe even to the side(s) of it.

-I like to mix bushes up sometimes; I think holly starts look great when paired with hydrangea or sweet olive starts. In front of my mayor house I have a fountain PWP with bushes all around the fountain, with one entrance on each side. The bushes go hydrangea holly hydrangea holly - you get the idea. But having bush starts surround a pwp like that looks really fancy!

-Paths made out of clovers look pretty cool, and natural dirt paths are also cool (but seem hard to obtain)

-I prefer to have mostly non-fruit trees, I don't know why, I think I just dislike having the additional color on fruit trees everywhere. I plan on having them all in one area. Idk, just something to consider!

-Play around with hybrid type and color combinations. There's so many combinations that can work, but don't make it the same thing over the entire town (like having just white carnations and pink roses everywhere and no other type/color of flower). Keep it interesting and switch it up! And definitely keep the colors of villager houses/pwps in mind when planting flowers around them.

-Plant some bamboo and cut them down 1, 2 or 3 days after letting it grow; that can make for some interesting landscape decoration IMO. Also, bamboo and sweet olive starts + yellow, white (or black), + orange flowers look amazing in the fall season

-Planting mushrooms next to a few trees (especially pine trees) looks nice and forest-y IMO. Could also look cool next to ponds

-Use a variety of qr code paths. Have your main qr code path (complete with borders, edges, corners, etc. if that's what you want) and have a few other path designs that match/compliment the main one, to keep it from getting too repetitive

-Have fun

Last edited:
One thing I will say is that paths tend to take up a LOT of qr space. Unless you use a single square path with no borders, corners, or edges, you'll need space on more than one character, so it gets to be a pain switching between them to work on it, but it comes together in the end.
I also find lining paths with trees, bushes, flowers, and pwps looks nice as well. Personally I try to stick with one type of flower in an area so it looks neater, and I also tend to use one bush style instead of using all of them. Since the bushes all have different leaves and different blooming times, it just looks more put together when they match.
Clovers also make really good decorating items, I like to use them in areas where I just can't seem to put anything else in, like small corners and such. I've attempted to use them as paths instead of QRs, but it was insanely time consuming and expensive.

Ooooh nice. You said that you line paths with trees, bushes and flowers. What arrangement do you do when lining them up? Eg. bush-bush-bush-bush, bush-flower-bush-flower etc.? And after lining up the paths, what do you do with the space behind the linings?

____ Bush - path path - bush - ____
____ bush - path path - bush - ____

what do you put in the space before that?

Last edited:
You can do bushes directly in front of trees. In between trees. A space or two in front of trees. It's up to you.
Bamboo flower bamboo can look nice.

I think it's important to think of "layering​" around paths. Like closest to the path is the foreground, them there is a mid ground and maybe trees or bamboo for example as a background depending. It's helped me experiment with some areas I am stuck with in my town.

That rock is annoying. I have one like that by my retail and my RV park entrance. I'd put a line of trees and bushes in between in front of it probably​ a space or two away.

You've got a pretty interesting map because every thing is lined up.
I'd totally line your straight ramp down from town tree with trees up to the town tree.

If you mean relaxing like stone paths lined with benches and street lamps and trees would be charming​. You could have more forested area nearby and thinner areas with elaborate flower gardens and fountains. Although might not be what you are going for.

Just to me, not most people here probably, but it helps me a lot if I know what theme I mainly want to use. Modern,fairytale or zen.
I find zen the most relaxing and natural and quaint and historical.
Modern is the most clean and can feel like a town that's under control and sleek and hah hah modern.
Fairytale can be very cute and pretty or very storybook, or seem more like a castle vibe very bright. It can be relaxing too but probably​ less than the other two.

All that's just in my opinion! Everyone can view things differently of course.
Good luck landscaping!

You can do bushes directly in front of trees. In between trees. A space or two in front of trees. It's up to you.
Bamboo flower bamboo can look nice.

I think it's important to think of "layering​" around paths. Like closest to the path is the foreground, them there is a mid ground and maybe trees or bamboo for example as a background depending. It's helped me experiment with some areas I am stuck with in my town.

That rock is annoying. I have one like that by my retail and my RV park entrance. I'd put a line of trees and bushes in between in front of it probably​ a space or two away.

You've got a pretty interesting map because every thing is lined up.
I'd totally line your straight ramp down from town tree with trees up to the town tree.

If you mean relaxing like stone paths lined with benches and street lamps and trees would be charming​. You could have more forested area nearby and thinner areas with elaborate flower gardens and fountains. Although might not be what you are going for.

Just to me, not most people here probably, but it helps me a lot if I know what theme I mainly want to use. Modern,fairytale or zen.
I find zen the most relaxing and natural and quaint and historical.
Modern is the most clean and can feel like a town that's under control and sleek and hah hah modern.
Fairytale can be very cute and pretty or very storybook, or seem more like a castle vibe very bright. It can be relaxing too but probably​ less than the other two.

All that's just in my opinion! Everyone can view things differently of course.
Good luck landscaping!

Yes! That's exactly what I meant. I was thinking of doing cobblestone paths maybe? I'm juggling between zen and modern at the moment. From your experience, which do you prefer from those? :)

- - - Post Merge - - -

Landscaping is going to take a lot of time and experimentation, so definitely be patient! My town is not yet complete, but here's some things that I do in my town/some suggestions:

-I try to hide rocks by planting a tree in front of it and maybe even to the side(s) of it.

-I like to mix bushes up sometimes; I think holly starts look great when paired with hydrangea or sweet olive starts. In front of my mayor house I have a fountain PWP with bushes all around the fountain, with one entrance on each side. The bushes go hydrangea holly hydrangea holly - you get the idea. But having bush starts surround a pwp like that looks really fancy!

-Paths made out of clovers look pretty cool, and natural dirt paths are also cool (but seem hard to obtain)

-I prefer to have mostly non-fruit trees, I don't know why, I think I just dislike having the additional color on fruit trees everywhere. I plan on having them all in one area. Idk, just something to consider!

-Play around with hybrid type and color combinations. There's so many combinations that can work, but don't make it the same thing over the entire town (like having just white carnations and pink roses everywhere and no other type/color of flower). Keep it interesting and switch it up! And definitely keep the colors of villager houses/pwps in mind when planting flowers around them.

-Plant some bamboo and cut them down 1, 2 or 3 days after letting it grow; that can make for some interesting landscape decoration IMO. Also, bamboo and sweet olive starts + yellow, white (or black), + orange flowers look amazing in the fall season

-Planting mushrooms next to a few trees (especially pine trees) looks nice and forest-y IMO. Could also look cool next to ponds

-Use a variety of qr code paths. Have your main qr code path (complete with borders, edges, corners, etc. if that's what you want) and have a few other path designs that match/compliment the main one, to keep it from getting too repetitive

-Have fun

Oh! Those are really great ideas. I especially like the one regarding bamboos! I'll definitely be using that for my town. Since you did mention QR paths, what do you think would fit best in a relaxing/modern town?

The best thing I recommend to do is to check out dream addresses of a town design or theme you like, and see what you like the most. Also, try looking up the landscaping ideas of real life gardens - I got inspiration for my tile patterns by seeing photos of other garden pavements I liked.

Also, I like to think about how my landscaping would effect your own gameplay experience. For instance, I like to landscape so can guide myself to homes and places with minimal effort, with many simple, straight paths. But some people like to move everywhere freely with minimal obstacles, and others like going through an aesthetic labyrinth. Try landscaping your town to fit how you'd like to play in your town.

Perhaps another little tip: For benches and stumps, Villagers will more likely be seen sitting on them if they are built near the areas they tend to walk by.

The best thing I recommend to do is to check out dream addresses of a town design or theme you like, and see what you like the most. Also, try looking up the landscaping ideas of real life gardens - I got inspiration for my tile patterns by seeing photos of other garden pavements I liked.

Also, I like to think about how my landscaping would effect your own gameplay experience. For instance, I like to landscape so can guide myself to homes and places with minimal effort, with many simple, straight paths. But some people like to move everywhere freely with minimal obstacles, and others like going through an aesthetic labyrinth. Try landscaping your town to fit how you'd like to play in your town.

Perhaps another little tip: For benches and stumps, Villagers will more likely be seen sitting on them if they are built near the areas they tend to walk by.

Thanks! And yes, I've seen some towns that I prefer so I atleast have an idea of what I'm doing. :) Oh and thanks for the tip! I've seen people asking if the villagers actually sit there but now I'll be sure to place it near where they're usually at :)

I prefer zen because I did a forest town it's more forest like. Modern can work! Like kinda a Victorian vibe. I'd do cobblestone it's adorable.
Modern can be relaxing in a more upbeat way than zen.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I can think of an image I saw on Tumblr or something that's exactly what I think you are talking about but I spent ten minutes looking can't find it hah hah.
I'm also adding put things to sit a look at I guess? Like I have a zen gard with cedar stumps, benches with clocks and trees behind them, stumps by the river, by my geysers, by the fire pit. It's...silly. But it's relaxing to walk around town after getting a coffee and decide what spot to sit by. Or to wander around and watch the fire for a minute. Or the pond or whatever.
That's me though.
(Thinking on that I need to add a ocean area stump actually...)

- - - Post Merge - - -

Also adding villagers tend to stay by homes. Not all the time. Not you know, as a rule but in general. All my homes are south in my town. It's rare I see them north of town or east away from the homes. Of course I see it. Just less often. Keep that in mind. I have two benches by the homes they get used allllllll the time. My log bench north of town? I've seen one or two uses in a month. My other benches it's many times a day.

Back