• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Awareness!

nah

I can't help it that you take me questioning the value of a thread that opens up with literally just bullet points (fyi, that doesn't make for a conversational thread topic) as an attack on vets

You can't help it? That I take you what?

It was statistics that are saddening. Don't like em'? Be apart of the solution, not the problem.

To install guilt and remind those. Those who parade in their ignorance and negative opinions about veterans. The great men and women who die and suffer severely to protect you.

that's a post to another related thread at best, not a standalone thread topic

and I'm not sure where you're getting the "everybody hates vets" thing from, especially on this site. I hate the politicians that have forced the vets to senselessly fight in this dumb pointless for-profit war for the good majority of the 21st century, but not the vets themselves. Those people I actually feel far more sorry for

- - - Post Merge - - -

You can't help it? That I take you what?

raskell please

my opinion on you isn't super high, but it's not that low either

To install guilt and remind those. Those who parade in their ignorance and negative opinions about veterans. The great men and women who die and suffer severely to protect you.

To install guilt? I don't think vets would appreciate your tactics here. Pretty sure they fought so people had the right to their own opinions.

what purpose does this thread serve even?

I get that this is kind of a weird thread, but I mean, I feel like there are a lot of other threads on here I see daily and wonder "wtf is the point of this thread". I think OP just genuinely wants to raise awareness about vets, and that seems a valid enough reason to me. And it's obviously creating some discussion

Did somebody on here show negative opinions about veterans though?

My father, two grandfathers, grandmother, and great grandfather don't need you fighting their battles for them, Raskell. Vets are proud people and the last thing they want is some random guy on the internet trying to guilt trip for things they have no part of. My ex-fiance is also a Marine and finds it hilarious when people try to belittle others for not supporting vets when they themselves aren't doing a danged thing either by instigating others.

To install guilt? I don't think vets would appreciate your tactics here. Pretty sure they fought so people had the right to their own opinions.

oh wow, I somehow missed this

and uh.... yeah. guilt tripping is honestly just a scummy tactic. moreso when it involves people that have little to no involvement or influence for the thing(s) in question

And it's obviously creating some discussion

I mean you're not wrong, and I've no actual qualms about how the thread shifted, but just about any thread on this site can garner discussion. so that's honestly a pretty low metric to go by

- - - Post Merge - - -

oh, looks like raskell got banned again

same as it ever was

Last edited:
Those stats in the OP are so disheartening. Hopefully things will change in the US sometime soon so that your vets get the recognition and support (including fully funded services across the board) that they deserve as human beings who put their lives on the line for your country.

I can't relate to the idea of being "proud" of my country in the overwhelmingly patriotic way I see some Americans practice. I am incredibly glad and grateful to live in Australia, and I am an Australian who has contributed a lot to my community in multiple ways, as I will continue to do for the rest of my life. But I am personally at a loss to understand the fervour that sweeps some people away - I've met only a couple of Aussies over the years who have been so nationistic (is that a word?) and I honestly came away feeling very very sorry for them. I'm sure not every passionate patriot is so limited in historical knowledge, life experience, and perspective, but those Aussies were, as have been the couple dozen (lovely!) Americans I've met like that.

I'm thankful for the sacrifices (including of life) that my grandparents, great grandparents, great great grandparents, and their extended families made during both world wars in particular. I'm thankful for the sacrifices (including of life) of the dozens and dozens of service men and women on my partner's side of the family in every conflict as far back as family history goes (every generation but the current one are all police officers, military, or support for one if not both). I'm thankful for the sacrifices of every friend, acquaintance, and stranger who goes into service for Australia - and the world.

I read ANZAC and Rememberance Day books, articles, and poems all year round to children in my personal life and at work when I am there. We talk about the cultural events and traditions, the sacrifices made, and why we commemorate those sacrifices. We attend ceremonies and pay our respects. I donate money regularly, and we fundraise to help keep that history and those memories alive and available for every person to see and learn from.

Our RSLs (returned service leagues) are reasonably well-funded and the services (including pensions) are at a generally acceptable level. Our vets have a powerful platform in politics at all levels of government, so their interests are well represented, thankfully. Whilst there's always room for improvement, my understanding is that we do okay by our vets.

They didn't protect me because I'm not American?

Not everybody on this site is American so it would probably be best if you made threads universal, so you can converse with everyone and except a reasonable response.

Also attacking people and trying to make them feel guilt for something they had no role in is very low. Especially when their unaware of the topic at hand or they don't understand the topic at hand. Most people don't know about this stuff.

Last edited:
This thread was clearly just made to provoke others. I really don't think that veterans would appreciate that.

Last edited:
Back