• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Is DID (Dissociative Identity Disorder/Multiple Personality) True or False?

DID, True or False?

• Total voters
I know someone with multiple personalities. It's... hard. I can't shake this feeling that I'm just being messed with when it occurs. It's horrible to say but that's just how it feels.

True, but I feel like most people who say they have it on Tumblr/online are faking it imo. Those people just use it as an excuse to abuse and manipulate people.

This, or to get all the pity and attention.

As for real life and people actually have it in some way.. Why not. As long as they are honest with it and don't act like *****es and make other people/themselves being some kind of victim and don't care one bit to try and get help/support if they need.

This, or to get all the pity and attention.

As for real life and people actually have it in some way.. Why not. As long as they are honest with it and don't act like *****es and make other people/themselves being some kind of victim and don't care one bit to try and get help/support if they need.

What do you mean exactly?

Only one here who voted "It's true, I have it myself" RIP
It's not severe but it does follow with my current atmosphere.

I've been told that I have MPD (Multiple personality Disorder) as it is now called DID (Dissoactive Identity Disorder) I've learned to recognize it to a certain extent. But Mostly all I know is that sometimes when I'm happy I get over the top happy, other times if I'm angry I start shouting & ranting and throwing things around in my room. Other times I get confused for a moment about what I'm doing or become hesitant until i remember what it was I was saying or doing. That usually lasts for a few seconds.

Of course its true. Do people really pretend to have DID irl..? I didn't know that was a thing wow

This disorder is really interesting. I've taking quite a few psychology classes for my general education (like 3 despite the fact that I'm a computer science/Pure Mathetican major).

One of my psychology textbooks states that it's mostly developed by women who were abused as children. Interestingly, it goes a bit further restating that people with this disorder commonly try to believe or pretend that the abusing is cuasing to someone else as a way to cope. In fact, they call it a "trancelike state" where they seperate their mental stae from their physical body similar to Philosophy's common argument about Dualism. So, basically, different identies develop to deal with different traumas.

However, this disorder is commonly rejected in the fact that many poeple use it as a way to avoid getting punishments for crimes. But, I believe in it because there research that shown that people with DID have differently personaities with different handwritings. It could lead to another different ideas or theories. I think what's most interesting is how nature-nurture plays a role in this.

Last edited:
I don't want to pry, but can you elaborate? That is really interesting tbh.

Well it always has something to do with what I like- usually things that aren't really as shining such as the monkeys from acnl and Pansear especially. Some of the times, I would cry over how underrated it is, the next thing you know- I'm using it as an advantage on being unique. Then I treat it as a philosophical extent, then a reflection! It changes a lot about how I feel or even look at myself.

A very weird thing that occurs uncommonly to me is when I get really mad, and instantly feel sad. I have these feelings of wanting to befriend people because I'm lonely, and being alone because I don't need friends, and having hedgehog's dilemma knowing that I might hurt people I get in touch personally.

One time, I'm a very serious and mature person who does orderly things, then the next thing, I easily fawn over cats and childishly pet them and point and scream at them. Spoiled child, then a talkative person who debates everything!

I always interpret my "habits" through art. I would draw multiple versions of myself and based them on the personalities I'm in.
My likes and dislikes always remain the same when I undergo the changes, but how I feel about them is dependent.

I don't know. I'm confused. I'm not sure how do I say it really much. All I can do is stay happy and live life normally as if I don't have this disorder.

Well it always has something to do with what I like- usually things that aren't really as shining such as the monkeys from acnl and Pansear especially. Some of the times, I would cry over how underrated it is, the next thing you know- I'm using it as an advantage on being unique. Then I treat it as a philosophical extent, then a reflection! It changes a lot about how I feel or even look at myself.

A very weird thing that occurs uncommonly to me is when I get really mad, and instantly feel sad. I have these feelings of wanting to befriend people because I'm lonely, and being alone because I don't need friends, and having hedgehog's dilemma knowing that I might hurt people I get in touch personally.

One time, I'm a very serious and mature person who does orderly things, then the next thing, I easily fawn over cats and childishly pet them and point and scream at them. Spoiled child, then a talkative person who debates everything!

I always interpret my "habits" through art. I would draw multiple versions of myself and based them on the personalities I'm in.
My likes and dislikes always remain the same when I undergo the changes, but how I feel about them is dependent.

I don't know. I'm confused. I'm not sure how do I say it really much. All I can do is stay happy and live life normally as if I don't have this disorder.

So you remember it all? I study mental illness in my own time but this disorder confuses me so much. I read somewhere that people with DID don't remember their alters? (I'm not saying you don't have it; I'm just inquisitive).

So you remember it all? I study mental illness in my own time but this disorder confuses me so much. I read somewhere that people with DID don't remember their alters? (I'm not saying you don't have it; I'm just inquisitive).

Maybe I don't have DID? I mean I could have bipolar issues instead.
Or maybe I do have it, but my main conscience remains awake. Like as if it's a suspect of everything, but can't do anything about it.

Maybe I don't have DID? I mean I could have bipolar issues instead.
Or maybe I do have it, but my main conscience remains awake. Like as if it's a suspect of everything, but can't do anything about it.

It sounds more like rapid bipolar. I suffer from schizoaffective (bipolar+schizophrenia) and trust me, I'm the exact same when I'm not medicated. I daresay that it's more bipolar than DID.

I think it could be true, right now I'm watching a new show called Chance which is about a psychiatrist and a patient with that disorder, it's a very interesting show.

As an MD, it's true, case closed.
Why is this even a thread?
It's like asking, is global warming true?
Is the flu real?
Is water wet?

can't say whether i think it's true or false cause I don't know a lot about it, I can say that I find it incredibly interesting and now im gonna be researching all weekend haha

It sounds more like rapid bipolar. I suffer from schizoaffective (bipolar+schizophrenia) and trust me, I'm the exact same when I'm not medicated. I daresay that it's more bipolar than DID.

Yeah its probably bipolar (and the schizos). Twas a bad idea to be different from anybody else regarding fictional monkeys.

Back