Is DID (Dissociative Identity Disorder/Multiple Personality) True or False?

DID, True or False?

• Total voters
As an MD, it's true, case closed.
Why is this even a thread?
It's like asking, is global warming true?
Is the flu real?
Is water wet?

I do like this response, haha.

Hundreds of thousands of scientific investigations have shown that yes, mental disorders such as D.I.D. show that this exists.

There is a large stigmatization in the United States on mental illness. Surveys show that many show less concern over the diagnosis of a mental disorder compared to other medical diagnoses. Which is unfortunate, because some mental disorders have high mortality rates (such as anorexia).

As an MD, it's true, case closed.
Why is this even a thread?
It's like asking, is global warming true?
Is the flu real?
Is water wet?

technically water isnt wet, as the feeling of being 'wet' is made by the human brain

but yes, i approve this message

wait what do u mean, why should the stigma around it be there? it's not something that should be taken lightly but the stigma and all that shouldnt exist because it hurts people w did

No I mean like, stigmatized in the sense that it shouldn't be taken less seriously to the point of where people are actually questioning whether or not it exists. Probably worded that last comment weirdly since it was like, 4am when I wrote it.

I believe it should be destigmatized in the sense of folks should stop assuming that everyone with DID is some sort of murderer who needs to be locked up and such. Enough with movies like "Split" where having DID or something is used as a selling point for a horror genre making more folks with DID have to deal with being painted in a negative light since that's the way it's been stigmatized.

If that all makes sense.

Last edited:
As far as I know, I may know one friend with a case similar. But, it is more of psychosis than DID. However, I feel it can be very possible and true, as for one, only that person will know, in the very fact, if they are having personalities like that. Also, movies are one thing, and can just.... Destroy the actual reality of Dissociative Identity Disorder.

i've seen many a documentary and it's just a coping mechanism with stress they seemed to "find out"

It gets SUPER misrepresented in media, but so do a lot of mental illnesses. I honestly don't know enough about it to have a truly formed opinion on it but I'm pretty sure it's a real thing.

Huh, didn't expect this to come back.

I'm still standing by what I said.

DID is a real thing. It's a shame that some people don't take the mental condition seriously, some even think its a joke and make fun of people who actually have it. That is ignorance at its peak.

DID is a real, true disorder.
it stems from severe childhood trauma and is often very distressing to the people who have it. it's hard for people w it to get treatment because
1. doctors may not believe them,
2. the media paints ppl with this disorder as dangerous, crazy, evil, weird, etc.,
3. it is not easily understood/a lack of proper knowledge
people who boast about it are more often than not faking it for attention. people who actually have it would be more self-conscious about it, if they're even aware of having multiple personalities. there are cases when the host may not even know they're suffering from such a thing - they might experience blackouts for extended periods of time when they switch alters and don't know what happened in that time they blanked out.
the disorder is a defense mechanism for the trauma they experienced as a child, so it's likely the host may not even be aware of the other alters.
a lack of understanding and proper knowledge is what may lead to more people claiming they have it when they don't, simply because they might not understand the severity of it and probably don't understand what it means to have "multiple personalities."

a lot of times people with DID are depicted in the media as monsters, scary, dangerous, or weird. split literally depicted a person with DID doing... whatever illegal nonsense was going on in that movie, and then turning into a literal monster. sorry, but that's bad rep. it really puts a stigma on DID. while its true that people can be unstable or have alters with violent impulses, that doesn't make them monsters.

there aren't many positive or accurate fictional representations of DID. there's sybil, the book/movie based on a true story of a woman with DID, but there's mixed sources on if its actually true or not. i never finished watching that movie (i really should get around to it tbh) though.
the best rep i've seen so far of DID was actually in ace attorney: spirit of justice. i won't go too into it to not spoil anything, but the character was confirmed to have DID, with the actual name of the disorder referenced in-game and playing a part in the case. i thought they were gonna make this character the murderer under the guise that a "hidden" fourth personality committed the murder, but was pleasantly surprised when this wasn't the case. ofc i can't speak for ppl w/ DID but it was one of the most respectful representations i'd heard of without it being the main thing of the story.

i probably shouldn't go on for too long :rolleyes: tl;dr yes it's a real thing 100%

Last edited:
I mean, it's not really how movies and TV shows make it out to be, although I did like Kill Me, Heal Me's representation of it, inaccuracies aside

To be honest, I don't know why this is even debatable? Like, yeah, it's a thing. End of story.

Back