Is DID (Dissociative Identity Disorder/Multiple Personality) True or False?

DID, True or False?

• Total voters
Most likely real. Sure, there are posers who say they have it when in actual reality they don't. I study mental illness and cases regarding such things; I've studied DID, and from what I've heard and seen, it's real. Some people might not even know they have it.

Is this factual, scientifically documented thing true or false? What a question. I've heard similar ones like it in recent politics, though with different subject matter.

Last edited:
I always thought of it as a real disorder, but what I didn't know was that people fake it? that's pretty nasty if there are a bunch of edgy kids going around faking a mental illness because they think it's cool :(

I think some people with DID have a hard time dealing with it, while others have learned/managed to find a way to deal with their other identities/alters without them disrupting their everyday life (this made more sense in my head).

It's only real in the sense that people who "have it" are genuinely mentally ill, but they actually have histrionic personality disorder and such. It's a big fabrication that they have convinced even themselves of. Notice that it basically doesn't exist outside of like the US, Canada, UK, Australia, and New Zealand, and you'll realize there is a reason for that.

Last edited:
DID is definitely a real thing, but due to lots of misinformation about it in our society, it's hard to accurately be diagnosed, I think. Movies like Split aren't exactly helping. From what I can tell, people with DID tend to have many alters, and usually aren't aware of most of them, or sometimes they're not aware of any. It's unusual to have an "evil" alter either, and the alters can't talk to each other in their head. But that's as far as I know. I could definitely be wrong.

And there's definitely going to be kids who say they have DID just to be edgy. I was one of those kids, and honestly I don't remember why.
But as a disorder, DID is 100% real.

the last time i took an abnormal psych class was yearss ago so my memory on the subject matter isn't amazing, but i remember my professor stating he had some skepticism around DID and his reasoning made sense at the time (he's a clinician btw), so i guess i carried that skepticism with me. but recently i heard about a case where people with DID experience fluctuations in their immune system functioning where they actually started getting psoriasis when switching between their identities. so idk having a biological component like that makes it seem pretty legit, but my prof did say as an aside that these fluctuations in immune functioning at least show that the brain is capable of some pretty intense stuff.

I did some researching on it, and while I do believe it i'm still dumbfounded onto how I would be able to diagnose this D:

just because you haven't seen/met someone that has the condition in real life doesn't make it false? seeing may be believing, but i know some people who actually struggle with the disorder, and if you try to look it up people actually write about their cases to educate people?

It definitely is real and people should take it seriously, though. not invalidate it.

Last edited:
I didn't say it was false D: I said I don't know how I'd be able to diagnose it because I might accidentally see it as something else. It definitely is real and people should take it seriously, though. not invalidate it.

wasn't talking to you, it was directed at the op mostly.

True, but I feel like most people who say they have it on Tumblr/online are faking it imo. Those people just use it as an excuse to abuse and manipulate people.

I knew someone who had it so I def 100% know it's true. And people who have it aren't these mean horrible people because of the disorder or anything, like it doesn't make you a bad person.

I feel like asking if it's real or not is kind of like asking if the sky is real or something. Srry if that sounds rude it's not meant to

Last edited:
This thread is honestly so interesting. It provokes my interest just to read about all of these opinions.

Dunno, it's one of those things you hear about but have never seen yourself (at least I haven't). Hollywood often overdramatises things for money.

Dunno, it's one of those things you hear about but have never seen yourself (at least I haven't). Hollywood often overdramatises things for money.

Yeah, I'm not sure why all the movies now have to be so dramatic and over the top.

People who actually think it's a fad come across as really uneducated on mental illness and only as being people who think all mentally ill people are faking it tbh.

Back