Oarfish?!

KLWunicorns

Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
I have had my most recent copy of Animal Crossing: New Leaf since December 2015 and somehow I still haven't caught the oarfish. I still have some fish I haven't caught yet, but recently I have been trying to catch the rare fish but have not succeeded. Is there any tips or ticks to help it spawn in? Can you catch the oarfish only at your town, or on the island also? Please help!:eek:

The oarfish can be caught Dec-May all day in the ocean. It is rare though. The shadow size says huge, but a pic someone provided says it's the same size as a seasbass, but skinnier. I don't think they spawn on the island because it's too warm there.

I believe I have discovered a trick that is effective when fishing. While walking up and down the beach, when you are in front of the smaller fish that you know you don't want, press the B button briefly while moving a little. It scares the fish and they swim away (more like disappear!). This causes spawning of more fish. It seems to work and I get the big fish I am trying for sooner.

It was my initiative today and I just got one after first catching a ton of sea bass. The things I do for MEOW coupons... ;)

The throwing beans from Harvey will help get rid of smaller fish. It's skinny and longer than the sea bass.
You can catch them in your town or another players town only.

Oarfish have the same shadow size as Ceolacanth--longer, but skinner than a sea bass shadow. They are very rare, though, so it can take a while.

The best tip I'd say is to walk along the longest stretch of beach you have, scaring off any wrong fish as you go. Once you reach one end, Save and Continue to force bug/fish spawns to reset, then scan again. It can take a while, but this is probably your best best for eventually finding one.

It might be my imagination, but I find that the oarfish and tuna appear more readily when I have them as a daily challenge.

I just caught a couple last night (while trying for a Coelacanth for my initiative!).

I agree with stitchmaker above, I like using the throwing beans to scare away shadows that I know are not it. Another trick you can use is the Save and Continue to refresh the bugs and fish that are currently spawned in game.

And yes, keep and eye out for longer and thinner shadows that the sea bass. The nose of the shadow is a bit pointier, and sometimes (in my vision) the shadow almost looks like it has two layers, with one being slightly smaller. The shape of the shadow is somewhat like a shark, but without a fin sticking above the surface.

Back