• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you believe in vaccinations?

Vaccinations

• Yes

Votes: 80 82.5%
  • No

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • Not sure

Votes: 10 10.3%

• Total voters
imo vaccines should be federally mandated and refusal by anyone who can receive the vaccine to receive punishable by law. or at the very least child neglect, you don't have a right to endanger public health and if you have some religious or anti-intellectual objection to it, i couldn't care less; those two things damage society enough as it is. otherwise a rational parent has every right to knock you out like seriously. it's a shame we tolerate anti-science groups as if their like unstable manifestos have equal value or shouldn't be censored into oblivion.

so grody.

Nope, it's been scientifically proven that immunity gained from recovering from a disease naturally is a lot better and stronger than that from having an injection of a weakened form of that strain. Yes, you suffer a bit more, but I'd rather suffer than have gob knows what kinds of governmental tests or chemicals or what pumped into my body, apparently "curing" the illness. I do agree though that they have helped fight off some really nasty diseases in history, but nowadays, the only vaccines I see being pushed today are flu shots and they're literally noneffective. It's funny too, where I live, anytime there's a massive outbreak of some kind of flu, and clinics and places are pushing shots, the disease actually spreads more and most of the people who got the shots actually end up with a worse strain/more symptoms.

So, wait, let me get this straight. You'd be fine with giving a growing kid or a baby a vaccine that gives them autism just because you don't want to deal with the illness (let's just assume for a moment that all vaccines had a chance at giving autism or mental illness). And you still would? Lmao what the **** is wrong with society these days omg

Some of my friends' younger siblings received excessive vaccines when they were younger and have autism and many mental illnesses. It's not ALL vaccines, but only specific ones that have been proven to have a high chance of giving mental illness, usually the ones that you only take once or twice when you're really young (I forgot which ones), and it's usually only when you're given a whole ton of them. I agree- the autism argument is bull**** but it does have good grounds. The other reason I oppose them though is because of what kind of government testing they use with them. Why the **** would they push common cold shots every bloody year when it barely kills anyone. Sniffles, maybe a chest cold? Bronchitis if you're like me and are prone to it; it's still not something I'm okay with though. But, reading the replies here, I respect the views/opinions on why most of you believe in them.

Fam you need to out more thought into it instead of referring to "scientifically proven" facts. This isn't trivia.

Yes, you suffer a bit more, but I'd rather suffer than have gob knows what kinds of governmental tests or chemicals or what pumped into my body, apparently "curing" the illness.

Wow how self-centered can one be

- - - Post Merge - - -

The one on DID. It died.

That is irrelevant to this conversation.

Well of course I believe in vaccines - they clearly exist. But whether I believe they're helpful or not I chose "not sure".

I think they're great for children since kids are extra exposed to all sorts of crazy things but I think they're questionable for adults. If adults want to get them more power to them but I had a bad experience with the flu shot when I was in college so I will personally never get another vaccination for myself.

Well of course I believe in vaccines - they clearly exist. But whether I believe they're helpful or not I chose "not sure".

I think they're great for children since kids are extra exposed to all sorts of crazy things but I think they're questionable for adults. If adults want to get them more power to them but I had a bad experience with the flu shot when I was in college so I will personally never get another vaccination for myself.

So, one bad experience with one vaccine means you swear off them forever? I hope you never get bitten by an animal. Rabies is a terrible way to die, and less than 10 people in the entire history of mankind have survived after showing symptoms. The disease has an effective 100% mortality rate, while the vaccine has saved countless millions of lives.

Hey guess what turns out I was wrong too and it isn't the shot that makes you sick anyways. If you get sick after getting a flu shot it's because the flu shot generally takes 1-2 weeks to kick in and you happened to catch something during that window.

Anti-vaxxers are the most ignorant bunch of people on earth, next to flat earthers. Except believing the earth is flat doesn't harm other people like not getting your children vaccinated does. :(

Hey guess what turns out I was wrong too and it isn't the shot that makes you sick anyways. If you get sick after getting a flu shot it's because the flu shot generally takes 1-2 weeks to kick in and you happened to catch something during that window.

Yes, that is very true. Also, when developing a yearly flu vaccine, they have to "guess" what strand of the virus will be most apparent-that's the one they need to vaccinate people against-and it is possible that they get it wrong sometimes. It happens. But every couple of years I get a flu vaccine and it helps tremendously.

Yes, that is very true. Also, when developing a yearly flu vaccine, they have to "guess" what strand of the virus will be most apparent-that's the one they need to vaccinate people against-and it is possible that they get it wrong sometimes. It happens. But every couple of years I get a flu vaccine and it helps tremendously.

Doesn't always mean they got it wrong, either. Even if you're protected against the year's most common flu viruses, there's a nearly infinite number of others you could still catch. The point is to protect as many people as possible from the ones that seem most likely to pose a large public health risk in the near future. It's basically impossible to guard against "the flu" as a whole, since so many different strains of virus can cause it.

Absolutely. It's baffling there's people out there who don't believe in keeping their children healthy. Don't have children if you don't want to provide the most basic necessities. Children don't deserve to be get preventable diseases because of their parents' selfishness and ignorance. The sad part is that the parents who refuse to vaccinate their children very likely were vaccinated themselves.

Of course I do.

One thing that's absolutely appalling to me is that people refuse to vaccinate their kids because they think vaccines cause autism. Not only is that totally ridiculous, but those people are saying that a sick or dead child is better than an autistic one. As an autistic person I'm very lucky that my mom isn't one of those people.

Do you have the source for this because I'm genuinely curious. I've only gotten really sick once in my whole life, and I'd been in school and working with money for years before and while I'm not in school anymore I still work with money, and that one time was the same year I got the flu shot. It was a couple years ago so I don't remember how long after the shot that I got so sick.

And to Yaezakura, I appreciate the concern but since I'm not especially adventurous and keep away from wild animals and stay on trails while hiking, I can't say I'm especially concerned and would rather run the low risk of an encounter with something like that than ensure I get even a little. I've talked to a few hikers I trust and none of them get vaccinated so I'll take their word and experience rather than speculation from folks online.

And to Yaezakura, I appreciate the concern but since I'm not especially adventurous and keep away from wild animals and stay on trails while hiking, I can't say I'm especially concerned and would rather run the low risk of an encounter with something like that than ensure I get even a little. I've talked to a few hikers I trust and none of them get vaccinated so I'll take their word and experience rather than speculation from folks online.

Well, rabies is is one of the very few diseases where vaccination after exposure is possible. It has a very long incubation period--usually a couple months. This is why it's standard practice to get a rabies vaccination immediately after an animal bite. The virus can be in your system, but you won't be "properly infected" for several weeks. This gives a window where saving a life is possible. Because, I cannot stress this enough: If you start showing any symptoms of rabies infection in the weeks following an animal bite, you are almost guaranteed to die. There is no cure. There is no surviving once symptoms show. There is only death or prevention.

So, for your own sake, I hope that if you are ever bitten, you can get over this knee-jerk aversion to vaccines. Because one could literally be all that stands between you and the reaper.

Well, rabies is is one of the very few diseases where vaccination after exposure is possible. It has a very long incubation period--usually a couple months. This is why it's standard practice to get a rabies vaccination immediately after an animal bite. The virus can be in your system, but you won't be "properly infected" for several weeks. This gives a window where saving a life is possible. Because, I cannot stress this enough: If you start showing any symptoms of rabies infection in the weeks following an animal bite, you are almost guaranteed to die. There is no cure. There is no surviving once symptoms show. There is only death or prevention.

So, for your own sake, I hope that if you are ever bitten, you can get over this knee-jerk aversion to vaccines. Because one could literally be all that stands between you and the reaper.

I did not know that. Yes, if I ever actually get something I'll take whatever I'm told because once it's here I think trying anything is better than hoping it goes away.

Back