Have you ever encountered a computer virus?

Have you encountered a computer virus?

• I don't have a computer.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mythicalhoopa

despacease your actions
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Red Tulip
Cherry (Fruit)
Mint
Leif
Kirby Easter Egg
Flea
Lobo
Yellow Candy
Pear (Fruit)
Winter Mittens
I've encountered many pop-up scareware ads. Scareware is a pop-up that randomly appears, telling you that your computer has dangerous viruses and that you need to call some phone number to get them removed. Upon calling, you are asked to pay to download fake anti-virus software, witch actually injects your computer with a virus that steals your information and/or destroys your computer.
I just encountered a pop-up scareware yesterday. I was browsing the Animal Crossing wiki and it redirected me to some weird site called "safesecure.xyz" or something like that. A very loud police siren began blaring, and a soft woman's voice began reading something like " YOUR COMPUTER HAS BEEN BLOCKED Windows has detected dangerous viruses on your computer Please call xxx-xxxx-xxxx to get them removed" on an endless loop. I attempted to close the tab but it froze and wouldn't let me. My keyboard and mouse were completely cut off and were useless. I resorted to hard-shutting down my computer, and when it rebooted, the pop-up was gone.
So, I've been wondering; Has anyone here ecountered a computer virus, and if so, how has it affected you?

Killed my very first laptop (which I still have)! I don't think it was even a virus, though. It was a weird page with Mudkips floating around and "“I Herd U Liek Mudkips" written in huge letters. Forced it to shut down, but it wouldn't start back up.

A shame. Probably for the best, though. It was old, and didn't function very well to begin with.

Countless times. %80 of the time I had to format my computer, got really sick of it didn't even need internet just stuck to my desktop and wouldn't let me do anything, so I got adblocker and comodo security and haven't had a problem since. (over one year) one time when I was younger my mum forced me to call because 'but its says its microsoft' as soon as I said I'm broke and can't pay they hung up.

I've had malware/viruses on computers when I was much younger but usually got rid of them with help or on my own. Only one destroyed my laptop which was my previous one. I took it to a computer shop but because everything happened so fast, nothing could save it. I believe it had something to do with the motherboard and refusing to charge. I've bought at least 5 chargers before all the issues began and hardly had it for 2 years. Never again will I go back to HP. D:

The one I'm currently using is older but I hardly keep anything on this aside from art and acnl stuff.

on my own laptop, a few times yeah, but now i use webroot and i'm generally pretty safe / don't click on anything odd, immediately close tabs if necessary :p

my brother on the other hand got some pretty weird virus a few years back (i think it was a windows toolkit virus? or something like that, can't remember the exact name) but i remember how much it basically ruined his laptop ._. had to download combofix and wiped it clean

Yep! It turned my screen blue and I couldn't do anything after it loaded my desktop. I had to reset my computer back to its last save point while it was starting up. That fixed it.

Yes, and it was stupid. Back in like 2011 someone on tumblr posted this big list of Whose Line is it Anyway episodes and I was like omg yes! So I clicked the link and it was some shady site, but I stupidly trusted that random tumblr person and proceeded anyway. Clicked on the video and it instantly crashed my browser and then when I tried to reopen it, or open any other program, a pop up came up saying it was "unsafe" to open any programs on the computer. So this horrible virus prevented me from opening any program or doing anything at all on that computer. Got it fixed by resetting the whole thing, but god that was stupid and I learned my lesson that day.

I did like a week ago. But all I had to do was shut it down, turn it back on, and everything's fine...

But the question is, how?

when i was younger i was into emulators, and managed to mainly find the sites with viruses. for the most part i managed to stay clear of them but one time i got a bad one that deleted all my files. thankfully young me really didnt have anything of importance saved. just bad art and the emulators lol. but i've had the laptop i'm on now for like 3-4 years and never gotten a virus, fingers crossed. all i have to worry about with this one is that its starting to get old and slow so eventually i will need a new one :/

When I was younger I got a virus on my first laptop. I don't remember how I got it, but it lasted for several weeks until I think I had someone fix it for me. I haven't had a virus since, but I don't really use computers anymore.

Last edited:
Nah. Adware, sure, but that's about it.

I just encountered a pop-up scareware yesterday. I was browsing the Animal Crossing wiki and it redirected me to some weird site called "safesecure.xyz" or something like that. A very loud police siren began blaring, and a soft woman's voice began reading something like " YOUR COMPUTER HAS BEEN BLOCKED Windows has detected dangerous viruses on your computer Please call xxx-xxxx-xxxx to get them removed" on an endless loop. I attempted to close the tab but it froze and wouldn't let me. My keyboard and mouse were completely cut off and were useless. I resorted to hard-shutting down my computer, and when it rebooted, the pop-up was gone.

Do you have Adobe Flash enabled by any chance? JavaScript can no longer prevent shortcut keys (unless you travel back to the '90s) and escape can be used to free the mouse cursor. Odds are you got redirected by a malcious advert. People use AdBlock for a reason, you know - Wikia's a bit dodgy at the least.

My first ever laptop was so slow because of a virus. Can't really remember what the virus did as I was 10 at the time but it really messed up my computer. It was a crappy computer so I'm glad I got rid of it.

Yea i did, it was really hard to remove, couldn't even remove it in Save mode.

ive never gotten a computer virus. phone virus though yes, somehow :s

Back