• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Cartoons that you should never let your kids watch

@Alolan_Apples Chowder is quite a stretch, yes, but Steven Universe isn't really as bad as a lot of people think. The reason people think it's so bad is because it introduces more adult-oriented themes, like death, homosexuality, etc., but it introduces them in a child-friendly fashion. It's just my opinion, as well. What I might consider safe could be considered terrible to others. As long as a kid can realize that cartoons aren't actually how people talk and act, it doesn't really matter what they watch, unless, obviously, if they have blood, sex, murder, etc. in them.

@Alolan_Apples Chowder is quite a stretch, yes, but Steven Universe isn't really as bad as a lot of people think. The reason people think it's so bad is because it introduces more adult-oriented themes, like death, homosexuality, etc., but it introduces them in a child-friendly fashion. It's just my opinion, as well. What I might consider safe could be considered terrible to others. As long as a kid can realize that cartoons aren't actually how people talk and act, it doesn't really matter what they watch, unless, obviously, it has murder, blood, sex, etc. in it.

@Alolan_Apples Chowder is quite a stretch, yes, but Steven Universe isn't really as bad as a lot of people think. The reason people think it's so bad is because it introduces more adult-oriented themes, like death, homosexuality, etc., but it introduces them in a child-friendly fashion. It's just my opinion, as well. What I might consider safe could be considered terrible to others. As long as a kid can realize that cartoons aren't actually how people talk and act, it doesn't really matter what they watch, unless, obviously, if they have blood, sex, murder, etc. in them.

Adult content like what you mentioned in the last sentence is definitely not for kids, but at least kids don't get to see that in shows more tame than South Park (which by the way is more inappropriate than ever before). It's okay to learn a little bit about homosexuality at a young age, but not lawsuits like seen in Total Drama.

I know how bad One Coarse Meal is, but what's wrong Are you Happy Now? Granted, I haven't seen any Spongebob episode after The Krabby Chronicle, but I read how bad the suicide episode was. I never heard of the other one though.

@BluePikachu47: You think shows like Chowder and Steven Universe are safe? Sorry if I'm asking, but your post sounds like a fragment.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I'd okay episodes like Ripped Pants and Pressure because even if some of the content is childish, they do teach kids good lessons in some way (Ripped Pants explained how jokes can no longer be funny if overdone or taken too far). But yes, Spongebob episodes after 2004 but before 2016 are pretty mindless.

Demolition Doofus, Spy Buddies(which was actually good), and Ghost Host(also good) might impact parents letting their kid watch SpongeBob if those just so happen to be the first episode they see

Adult content like what you mentioned in the last sentence is definitely not for kids, but at least kids don't get to see that in shows more tame than South Park (which by the way is more inappropriate than ever before). It's okay to learn a little bit about homosexuality at a young age, but not lawsuits like seen in Total Drama.

I don't really get how anyone could like that show. It's basically just Housewives and Survivor without all the swearing.

I don't really get how anyone could like that show. It's basically just Housewives and Survivor without all the swearing.

Actually, game shows are pretty entertaining to watch, but once they mix it with childish content (like reading someone's diary out loud) or serious subjects (like lawsuits), that's when it starts to get ruined. And yes, it seems like a mix of Survivor, Desperate Housewives, and some early 2000's kids' cartoons like Ed, Edd, and Eddy.

i know not to include things that were probably shown on adult swim, but man... when i was younger i watched a lot of shin chan, and that show was hilarious, lol, but it's definitely not something for younger children

otherwise i guess ren and stimpy was pretty bizarre at times, i also watched peewee's playhouse but if you know of all the controversy involving paul reubens, well, i wonder if you'd still want a child to watch it :eek:

Looney tunes and shows like Tom & Jerry actually aren't bad for kids to watch because they can actually differentiate fantasy from reality and develop an idea of what's bad and what's good

- - - Post Merge - - -

Anyway, kids shouldn't be allowed to watch Steven universe

I personally think Steven Universe is a great show for kids.
It doesn't attempt make a lesson about things, but it normalizes many things that people are afraid to talk about. And it does it with great takeaway. It shows great ways to handle anxiety, the various types of interpersonal interactions, and is altogether a very positive show. And it does this just by following the experiences of an adolescent.

And concerning Shinchan, I thought it was funny when I was younger. Adults would balk at seeing a show where a child is running around naked, but when you're a kid, you aren't always socialized to think nudity's wrong for any reason other than it's impolite. Kids have a very interesting worldview where nothing is explicitly wrong or unnatural. The people behind Coraline, for instance, were pretty surprised to find that adults were more scared of the movie's content than children were. Because where adults recognize things that are wrong and terrifying, kids only see what may or may not be possible. It's a very funny distinction actually ~

I'm also curious about this argument about children not being subjected to things like lawsuits. One episode I saw of Teen Titans Go, Robin sang a song about equity and owning property and I was laughing the whole time because of the absurdity of it all. It doesn't do much besides educate children about getting bank loans, but the idea of it a song about it was really funny.

Last edited:
How could I forget Dora the Explorer?

She is annoying, but I don't see how it could be a bad influence on kids.

Funny thing is, before Dora the Explorer, there was Blues Clues, just like how Rugrats was the big Nickelodeon show before Spongebob. Those two former shows were not as annoying as the current ones, but at least Spongebob was worth watching, as I would okay letting kids watch it. Well at least the Spongebob episodes I watched when I was little.

She is annoying, but I don't see how it could be a bad influence on kids.

Funny thing is, before Dora the Explorer, there was Blues Clues, just like how Rugrats was the big Nickelodeon show before Spongebob. Those two former shows were not as annoying as the current ones, but at least Spongebob was worth watching, as I would okay letting kids watch it. Well at least the Spongebob episodes I watched when I was little.

There were a lot of false claims about the former Blue's Clues host.

Any Disney show these days with live actors. Same unrealistic situations the characters get into, the way they have them act is lame, and the overall quality sucks. Every time I'm at a hotel and flip on Disney I feel my brain cells dying watching one episode of something. There really is nothing good on cable anymore.

Last edited:
Ren and Stimpy. It creeped me out so much as a kid. I ended up changing the channel anytime it was on. Even as an adult, it still disturbs me. How it ended up on the air in the first place was beyond me.

Anyway, you shouldn't have to rely on television to educate children. As with anything in life, things should be done in moderation.

lol relax let kids watch what they want as long as it isnt super inappropriate. all kid cartoons suck anyways

- - - Post Merge - - -

Any Disney show these days with live actors. Same unrealistic situations the characters get into, the way they have them act is lame, and the overall quality sucks. Every time I'm at a hotel and flip on Disney I feel my brain cells dying watching one episode of something. There really is nothing good on cable anymore.

how are live action things cartoons

I'm not too picky on what cartoons are 'appropriate' for kids, as every child is different and it's good for them to explore what they can handle versus what can scar them for life. It's why I'm such a big horror fan nowadays, but when I was a kid I had constant nightmares after watching 'Rose Red' for the first time when I was only 10-12 years old (now I praise that movie it's one of my top faves and it got me to watch even more horror).

Just because some kids can't watch it doesn't mean it's 'bad' for all kids, and just because it has more mature/serious themes does not mean kids won't 'get it' (a big example is Steven Universe). Seriously, parents nowadays are way too picky and think 90% of stuff out there will harm their 'pwecious wittle snowfwake' of a child. Stop using the TV and internet as a free babysitter, actually talk to them and maybe one day they'll thank you for it. Without fear or sadness, kids will never question anything and will start to believe the world revolves around them thus turning them into stupid adults.

BUT!

If I were to pick one cartoon not suitable for kids...I'd probably choose 'Spongebob Squarepants' and 'Teen Titans Go'.

Spongebob has turned into a world full of hate and stupidity, where those who are kind and smart are the ones who get the most in trouble while those who do wrong get rewarded. Plus there's the videos that TheMysteriousMrEnter made showing the STP and PAP stuff (if you've seen their videos you know what I'm talking about). Only just recently did the original creator come back to the show, as they wanted to end it after the 1st movie. And now Spongebob dominates on Nickelodeon, I believe it should've ended after the movie. I believe they even did a test on kids who watch Spongebob, showing that they get more violent after watching just one episode.

Teen Titans Go isn't even a watered-down version of the original, it's a sell-out that takes the image of something great and uses it to give kids basically the equivalent of junk food. And it's not even good junk food, it's the kind you get at the $1 stores where it's been in the back for months and they only just put it out because they don't want to throw it out. And the creators know they're doing this, and actually trash the original's fanbase saying they're basically like 'whiny little babies' and hating on critics for valid criticism on the show. Another one would be the new PPG series, it's just as bad (if not worse).

how are live action things cartoons

Oops, I guess I was thinking of shows in general. I wish OP backed up their claims with citing some facts. To me, Looney Tunes and Tom & Jerry are just harmless cartoon animations. A lot of people grew up with them, myself included, without it having a bad influence on their lives. I do agree that Total Drama Island was too much. The new Spongebob episodes seem really gross to me. I wouldn't want my children watching that kind of thing. I can list the splinter episode right off the bat.

Cartoon network brainwashes children. I didn't realize this until recently while watching it and thinking "what the **** is this?"

i'm sorry, this thread is really funny. saying cartoons corrupt children has about zero scientific credibility. only children actually at risk have much more serious mental health issues to worry about. like wow, today's cartoons who're more progressive than ever are dangerous??

you'd have more to be concerned about with something like johnny bravo than something like steven universe if we're gonna pretend cartoons are that relevant to children's development. i think i'd rather have a warning on new cartoons that says: Caution, may induce tantrums in older millennials.

only cartoons i'd ban are things that promote socially conservative nonsense and religion, otherwise my kids could watch whatever because it's whatever and they'll grow out of most cartoons anyway

Back