• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Cartoons that you should never let your kids watch

Alolan_Apples

Apple Imperialist
Bells
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Red Balloon
Banana
Green Cotton Candy
Yule Log
Pumpkin Glow Wand
Bee Plush
Frost Easter Egg
Purple Candy
White Tulip
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
Before we even begin discussion, let's forget about shows like South Park, Family Guy, Simpsons, or whatever. We all know that they are adult shows as you should never let your kids watch them. What this discussion is about are kids' cartoons that are actually bad for children anyway.

All cartoons are bad in general if you watch them excessively, but some are worse for kids than others even in moderation. The reason, some of the content or subject matter may actually be a negative influence on children. Some shows like Tom & Jerry and Looney Tunes are full of violence, which is bad for children to watch anyway. But there are also some shows that may not be centered on violence and action, but are bad for children to watch because they are making them stupider.

In your opinion, what are the top cartoons that you should never let your kids watch, based on how much influence it may have over them (like if it's violent, stupid, or has other themes that are bad for kids in general)? Keep in mind that this thread is for kids' shows only. Not adult shows like you see on Comedy Central or Adult Swim. Not animated movies since this is a discussion for tv shows. It's for kids' shows that you would not recommend letting your kids watch.

---

In my opinion, I would say that Total Drama is definitely not for kids to watch. I'll explain later, but if your kids want to watch TV, Total Drama is a big no. Other shows bad for them include Johnny Test, Teen Titans Go, Winx Club, or any other show like that.

Teen Titans Go

Caillou. He whines to get his way which is a bad example for kids. His sister is worse with the whining.

isn't the winx club about magical girls or something, why would that be bad at all? lol

While it may seem safe since there's no violence or comic mischief that is still too mature for kids, it's one of those shows that's making kids stupider each time they watch. Whatever you think is making kids stupider or is teaching kids the wrong lesson is what you think kids shouldn't watch at all.

While it may seem safe since there's no violence or comic mischief that is still too mature for kids, it's one of those shows that's making kids stupider each time they watch. Whatever you think is making kids stupider or is teaching kids the wrong lesson is what you think kids shouldn't watch at all.

In that case - spongebob (though I do kinda love that show)

I could give you loads of examples of shows I used to watch when I was younger, but I'm afraid it may upset some folks over on Discord if I do.

I would, however, like to just say that, if the kids are interested, they will head for it regardless of what you do. You should be more concerned for them being able to handle it than simply not wanting them to see it. Prepare them for it. Warn them of it.

i see what you mean now
in that case, anything monster high related lmao

**** nickelodeon cartoons. After 2014 , Nickelodeon has been from bad to **** , and obviously it will not get any better.

I'd say any TV can be bad for kids if you nitpick at it for long enough, so it isn't the show's problem for making kids dumb, it's the irresponsible parent that use the TV as a free babysitter. TV and electronic usage should be regulated until kids can develop good time-managing and decision-making habits. Shows I just find bad, in general, is anything on Nickelodeon (after 2005), a lot of Cartoon Network's stuff like Total Drama, Johnny Test, Teen Titans Go, and so on, although I do think shows like Chowder, Forster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, Steven Universe, Adventure Time, and to an extent, Amazing World of Gumball and Regular Show. Anything on Disney Channel is just blatant trash.

Last edited:

I'll show my kids Spongebob. I love that show and watched it growing up. I turned out just fine! Though now I can basically make a Spongebob reference for everything.

Season 6-8 Spongebob, Breadwinners, TTG, PPG reboot, mostly cartoons that are modern up to date with memes. And toilet humor/blood gore/stupidity/suicide, etc jokes.

Season 6-8 Spongebob, Breadwinners, TTG, PPG reboot, mostly cartoons that are modern up to date with memes. And toilet humor/blood gore/stupidity/suicide, etc jokes.

What's wrong with 6-8 SpongeBob? I know it's not as good as the early ones but why can't kids watch it? I get that there are some episode that parents might jot want their kids to see, such as One Coarse Meal and Are You Happy Now?, but for the most part, it isn't really inappropriate. In my opinion, Greasy Buffoons should be a must watch in every household.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I'd say the Simpsons and Family Guy, obviously. And I remember a show called Little Bill. That should be banned because of Cosby.

Last edited:
I don't plan on ever having kids but I'd let em watch just about anything as long as they get some kind of lesson/enlightenment from it. If these hypothetical kids were anything like me they'd be watching TV-14 stuff before they could write so mindless kiddy cartoons are the least of my worries

However I would ban Kenny The Shark just because I have a petty distaste for it

What's wrong with 6-8 SpongeBob? I know it's not as good as the early ones but why can't kids watch it? I get that there are some episode that parents might jot want their kids to see, such as One Coarse Meal and Are You Happy Now?, but for the most part, it isn't really inappropriate. In my opinion, Greasy Buffoons should be a must watch in every household.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I'd say the Simpsons and Family Guy, obviously. And I remember a show called Little Bill. That should be banned because of Cosby.

I know how bad One Coarse Meal is, but what's wrong Are you Happy Now? Granted, I haven't seen any Spongebob episode after The Krabby Chronicle, but I read how bad the suicide episode was. I never heard of the other one though.

@BluePikachu47: You think shows like Chowder and Steven Universe are safe? Sorry if I'm asking, but your post sounds like a fragment.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I'd okay episodes like Ripped Pants and Pressure because even if some of the content is childish, they do teach kids good lessons in some way (Ripped Pants explained how jokes can no longer be funny if overdone or taken too far). But yes, Spongebob episodes after 2004 but before 2016 are pretty mindless.

wow y'all sound like you are/will be strict parents lol

I wouldn't want my kids watching some religious crap like Veggie Tales. I would prefer if they didn't watch the Disney channel, but only because I personally hate everything on the Disney channel.

Other than that, I don't know, I grew up watching a lot of 90's cartoons/shows, even stuff on Adult Swim. Shows like Invader Zim, Ren & Stimpy, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Powerpuff Girls, Spongebob, Ed Edd N Eddy, Dexters Laboratory, CatDog, Johnny Bravo, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Teen Titans, Degrassi, Pokemon Indigo League.. tons more.. and a lot of those shows had violence in them, or were pretty scary, had sexual innuendo slipped in, or weren't even intended for children to watch. And I think I turned out pretty fine. And I would be fine if they watched those shows, too.

Last edited:
I'm not sure. I think it would be a case by case basis. The child's cartoon I'm aware of that I might consider restricting is Ren and Stimpy or Invader Zim because I remember some of the imagery scared me as a kid. Kids can get scared of ridiculous things

wow y'all sound like you are/will be strict parents lol

I wouldn't want my kids watching some religious crap like Veggie Tales. I would prefer if they didn't watch the Disney channel, but only because I personally hate everything on the Disney channel.

I wouldn't become a strict parent. But that's because I don't even want to have children.

Anyway, I promised to explain why you shouldn't let kids watch Total Drama. Like most shows of that matter, it has comic mischief and violence that can give your kids a bad influence. Not like other kids' shows, it has subject matter that is corrupting children. What I'm referring to is what happened in the episodes "Oceans Eight or Nine" and "Haute Campture". One of the contestants lost the game in the first season and didn't qualify for the next season, so she sued the host to get herself into the contest. Other contestants used or threaten lawsuits. This is teaching both kids and teenagers watching the show to sue if something doesn't go their way. That is a very bad thing to do. Not to mention, but those are frivilous lawsuits.

Another major problem with Total Drama is that the fanbase is highly divided. Fans of the show fight online over characters and relationships, and often get triggered if you claim that a character they like is their least favorite or characters they hate is your favorite. With the online fanbase so divisive and aggressive, and the implied lessons of each episode corrupting children and teens (plus the violence, language, and comic mischief), I say this show is definitely a no-no. At least I wouldn't be stupid enough to repeat stuff like this on TV, but even Total Drama corrupted me when I was a teenager. But I have gotten out of it.

I don't see a lot of issue with today's cartoons.
If I had a child I would like for them to watch more educational television, or shows with deeper concepts. But I grew up watching all kinds of cartoons (and admittedly still do). I think I turned out to be well-adjusted, and I watched all kinds of "garbage" tv shows.

But I also think kids recognize better quality than we expect them to. I don't think many kids would prefer Go over the original series if they were both on tv. But even so, they're kids and they'll get a kick out of the mindless humor. I don't think they're in danger of watching what adults would consider poor quality. And I can understand the concern, I just think the argument is a bit misguided and ill-founded.

Back