• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Are you straight?

:o

• Yah.

Votes: 112 45.2%
  • Nah.

Votes: 116 46.8%
  • Undecided.

Votes: 20 8.1%

• Total voters
The funny part about religion is no religion actually has a rule against gay people, they just have passages that were horribly mistranslated and misinterpreted.
The bible for example, most passages that are "against same-sex relationships" are actually against rape, adultery, idol worship, and pedophilia. Namely Leviticus 18:22 ("Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination") that homophobes love to refer to, which is also the same law that forbids you to eat shellfish and wear clothing with mixed fabrics.

Actually there are two lines from St-Paul that are against gays in the new testament, but St-Paul was an opportunist and never met Jesus so... Jesus said nothing against gays, so in doubt, just follow Jesus.

The funny part about religion is no religion actually has a rule against gay people, they just have passages that were horribly mistranslated and misinterpreted.
The bible for example, most passages that are "against same-sex relationships" are actually against rape, adultery, idol worship, and pedophilia. Namely Leviticus 18:22 ("Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination") that homophobes love to refer to, which is also the same law that forbids you to eat shellfish and wear clothing with mixed fabrics.

Sadly , people love to be ignorant and prefer thinking their religion said something bad about homosexual people *cough* Christians *cough*
and im also christian and its kinda stupid to see people like that.

Last edited:
Sadly , people love to be ignorant and prefer thinking their religion said something bad about homosexual people *cough* Christians *cough*

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that I feel like a vast majority of Christians haven't actually read the bible. It seems like they claim they have and just go with what others have said about it without actually reading it themselves.

Even if the religion had said something bad 1400 or 2000 years ago, we must not forget that the religion was the politic of that era, and they surely had their reason then that have nothing to do with us. 2000 years ago, romans were maybe partying way too much for some religious. Divorce and second marriage was not permitted either but we understand it was for a good reason then.

Last edited:
Actually there are two lines from St-Paul that are against gays in the new testament, but St-Paul was an opportunist and never met Jesus so... Jesus said nothing against gays, so in doubt, just follow Jesus.

Do you mean this?

"Their women exchanged natural intercourse for unnatural, and in the same way also the men, giving up natural intercourse with women, were consumed with passion for one another. Men committed shameless acts with men and received in their own persons the due penalty for their error."

This one is about idolatry, lust, and prostitution. Not any old same-sex relationships.

Or this one which is more often used against us?

"Fornicators, idolaters, adulterers, male prostitutes, sodomites, thieves, the greedy, drunkards, revilers, robbers  -  none of these will inherit the kingdom of God."

Once again, a mistranslated passage that was originally about adultery, sex crimes, and lust in general.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that I feel like a vast majority of Christians haven't actually read the bible. It seems like they claim they have and just go with what others have said about it without actually reading it themselves.

Not only have they not read it but they haven't looked into it or studied it at all.

Do you mean this?

"Their women exchanged natural intercourse for unnatural, and in the same way also the men, giving up natural intercourse with women, were consumed with passion for one another. Men committed shameless acts with men and received in their own persons the due penalty for their error."

This one is about idolatry, lust, and prostitution. Not any old same-sex relationships.

Or this one which is more often used against us?

"Fornicators, idolaters, adulterers, male prostitutes, sodomites, thieves, the greedy, drunkards, revilers, robbers  -  none of these will inherit the kingdom of God."

Once again, a mistranslated passage that was originally about adultery, sex crimes, and lust in general.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Not only have they not read it but they haven't looked into it or studied it at all.

I don't remember the parts, I read them a while back in French (maybe it was in Romans?) but it's not why I'm saying that, I read a study from a bunch scholars who were gay friendly and really wanted to demystify the whole thing, but even them, with the translation couldn't say Paul was just referring to prostitution or lust because of some words he used, he seemed really refers to homosexuality itself. We must also take into consideration the time and mores. Historians and scholars are still debating on this, but he might very well meant it. Now is it that important? His boss said nothing, other apostles said nothing and Paul used to persecuted first Christians and didn't know Jesus...if it were me I wouldn't trust that guy...even other apostles didn't like him that much.;) but the most important is that according to the same book, you shouldn't judge other people or harm them...

If you read the bible, you will see plenty of things that don't make sense, we don't have the whole thing, just a tiny part of what was written centuries ago by different people and translated a few times. I don't know why people give it such importance.

But anyway, let's not spam that thread anymore.
Was Jesus straight? No idea...

I don't remember the parts, I read them a while back in French (maybe it was in Romans?) but it's not why I'm saying that, I read a study from a bunch scholars who were gay friendly and really wanted to demystify the whole thing, but even them, with the translation couldn't say Paul was just referring to prostitution or lust because of some words he used, he seemed really refers to homosexuality itself. We must also take into consideration the time and mores. Historians and scholars are still debating on this, but he might very well meant it. Now is it that important? His boss said nothing, other apostles said nothing and Paul used to persecuted first Christians and didn't know Jesus...if it were me I wouldn't trust that guy...even other apostles didn't like him that much.;) but the most important is that according to the same book, you shouldn't judge other people or harm them...

If you read the bible, you will see plenty of things that don't make sense, we don't have the whole thing, just a tiny part of what was written centuries ago by different people and translated a few times. I don't know why people give it such importance.

But anyway, let's not spam that thread anymore.
Was Jesus straight? No idea...

We're not spamming, we're having a discussion. It might be a bit off topic but it still refers to sexuality so I don't see the problem.

Anyways, if you or anyone want to interpret the verses as homophobic that's completely your choice, however Paul also thought men having long hair was unnatural so I don't see how anyone could take his word for anything anyways.

yes i'm straight but i love the lgbt community to death. the majority of my best friends are gay

and just to put it out there, i don't think you can legitimately 100% interpret the bible the way it was to be interpreted. i've read a lot of it, because i have a bible study class at my school, and half the time i don't know what the heck is going on. it's very hard at least for some people to interpret and everyone always gets a different answer so i've never trusted the "god hates gays" idea that people seem to pull from nowhere

I'm gonna avoid the argument and say I am straight.

K bye!

We're not spamming, we're having a discussion. It might be a bit off topic but it still refers to sexuality so I don't see the problem.

Anyways, if you or anyone want to interpret the verses as homophobic that's completely your choice, however Paul also thought men having long hair was unnatural so I don't see how anyone could take his word for anything anyways.

Usually when we are off topic the mods call that spamming and beat us with a little spoon.

I personally don't want to interpret anything, especially not old scriptures. I don't have the degrees for that, if I had I could make my own opinion on that subject, along we all those scholars who can't agree about what he said and why. He did say something however that made people think that way, and other controversial things. Maybe he thought romans were too depraved and indulging themselves way too much with slaves and prostitutes, maybe he was referring to something else, who knows?
I would think religions forbidding homosexuality did it for politic reasons then.

if you're attracted to the opposite gender exclusively, you're straight. if you're so unsure of that then you should've just chose no. it's not rocket science.

lol but not everyone knows how 2 identify so it's stupid to laugh at them 4 choosing that alternative

Back