• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Tornadoes

Alolan_Apples

Apple Imperialist
Bells
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Red Balloon
Banana
Green Cotton Candy
Yule Log
Pumpkin Glow Wand
Bee Plush
Frost Easter Egg
Purple Candy
White Tulip
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
After recent reports about tornadoes hitting the South and Midwest (and since the month where tornadoes are the most common in is about to begin), I decided to make a thread about these inorganic monsters formed by two extreme weather fronts.

What are your thoughts on tornadoes? How scared are you? Are there any interesting tornado stories you would like to share? You can also give tips on where people should be when a tornado is happening.

---

I used to be scared of tornadoes a lot when I was little, but I'm not that afraid anymore. What you're supposed to do when a tornado comes, you must find a room where no window or glass can be found. Of course, an F5 tornado can pass through your city while ignoring the neighborhood your house is in. But it can be devastating if a tornado goes through your city anyway.

Keep in mind that tornadoes can go anywhere. However, the areas where tornadoes are at the highest risk are the areas with the most tornado-resistant buildings (quality and quantity). The United States gets a lot of tornadoes (especially in the Midwest and South Central states), but if tornadoes hit anywhere but the United States, it would be a much bigger deal, even if the damage was just about the same.

I lived in Oklahoma for a while so I remember a few tornadoes. I surprisingly can't recall actually seeing any, but I've been close enough where there was a real threat.
They don't scare me much. I find that with adequate warning there's not much threat to your person, as you can get away. But the devastation is incredibly real, and wouldn't want to be caught in one even though I know exactly what to do in the case of one.

I live in Georgia now and I'm very surprised at the number of tornadoes we've had in recent years. Here in Atlanta, we had a serious tornado watch I think in February. They've also been pretty devastating. Just goes to show how much we've done to change the environment.

I've lived in the Midwest my entire life so I'm familiar with them.. you'd think I'd be used to storms by now but I still freak out whenever a bad ones passing through. fortunately a tornado hasn't struck close to us (closest has been 40 mins away)

tip: if at all possible, go underground because that's where you'll be safest. if you have a basement or there's a building nearby that has one, definitely go there. if you can't get underground, the smallest room in your house (a closet) is the next best place

Last edited:
i live in michigan and i havent been close to one. i hate them with every inch of my being, they terrify me. even just storms scare me because im so afraid of them :(

Meh, where I live they are not uncommon to have them. More so in the smaller towns. After a while they don't really scare me. Two years ago a wedding photographer got a newly wed couple with a tornado touching in the background - it was beautiful.

That would definitely make for an interesting photo....
Especially since it's not that pretty outside when there is one.

I've never dealt with a tornado but I have family in Illinois so we always freak out every time we see something on the news, but they've thankfully survived all the ones that came close to them with little to no damage to their property.

For them it's common enough they don't really freak out, they just go to their basement which is like a fully stocked emergency mini-home and wait it out. I guess it's similar to how earthquakes are so second nature here I just kind of learned to ignore them.

Last edited:
Never was scared of them, in fact I want to experience one
I only pretended to be scared of them and hate them when I was young so my parents wouldn't buy a vacation home in certain states that I didn't like 🙄

I have been telling my mom for the last 6 years that I'm gonna travel to the OK and go chase some tornadoes:lemon:

OK is Oklahoma if you didn't know

I live in the UK, so I've never even come close to dealing with one, but I find such natural events to be both amazing and frankly terrifying. Of course, I get worried for those dealing with them when I hear about them and it's really humbling and saddening to see the damage they can do to everything people have, but as features of nature I have to admit I'd be amazed to be able to see one in real life.

Y'know the low temperatures we get here in Ireland are a small price to pay for the lack of natural disasters! I've no idea how I'd react in the case of a tornado. Cry, probably?

I live in an area where we don't tend to get tornadoes, maybe a small one every once in a while. We did actually get one that made some significant damage last summer. I was actually outside when that tornado happened but the actual funnel was a while away from me. It was downpouring and very windy but at the time I had no clue there was even a tornado until they confirmed it an hour later and I was like "hey I was outside for that" lol

I have mixed feelings on them, because I haven't experienced many, if any. When we do get tornado watches/warnings because of thunderstorms I do get a little nervous just in the case that one will happen. But at the same time thunderstorms fascinate me!

I love tornadoes. I live on the east coast, so we don't get many but we had one pass through my town a few years ago. They're really not that scary lol you just have to be prepared.

Well I guess it was kind of scary because when it did hit our town it was like 1am after the bad storm had passed & everyone was sleeping & there was no warning lol. I slept through it and woke up to find our school gone so I mean hey.

I used to think tornadoes were super awesome as a kid and always got excited when there were tornado warnings. I guess I was hoping it would take out my school

But now I am terrified of them. They are cool to look at but to be in them.. just sounds scary

I have bad dreams about tornados a LOT, no idea why because I live in the UK so we never see anything like that here. The closest "encounter" (if you can call it that) I've had with one was when I was in Canada, we were driving from Winnipeg to Calgary, and at one point the sky became severely leaden and it started pouring with winds picking up. We turned on the radio and there were some tornado warnings in our area, I forget exactly where it was, maybe Regina, not sure. It was quite scary for me though, I've never seen such extreme weather like that come down in a matter of seconds, and many cars around us were pulling off to the side of the road. It was pretty bizarre.

We don't really get tornadoes here so I'm not scared of any actually coming around but I do have a lot of tornado nightmares for some reason and those are terrifying. They're always really big probably-impossible ones too.

Tornadoes are terrifying. I want to move somewhere that either doesn't get them at all or gets them less. Every Spring is such a scary time, knowing you might lose your house, belongings, family, life. Yet people where I live actually like them and are fascinated by them. Just another reason I know I don't belong where I live.

Back