• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

How do you pronounce 'Mario'?

How do you pronounce Mario?

• Total voters
Mah-rio, hell even the games says it this way. :p

Mah-rio, hell even the games says it this way. :p

You know what though, my uncle who is my dad's brother, he is a big SMB fan (grew up playing the NES and SNES in the late 80's early 90's) and he always pronounces it wrong. Idk if it's for laughs or if he's serious but jesus does it bother me xDD

The way how he pronounces it. Who would even pronounce it as May-rio or Mair-io?

You're all wrong. It's pronounced...

moreo-cookies.jpg

I'm voting Mah-rio, but I usually pronounce it with more of a prominent R, like Mars. Mar-e-o.

i say may-rio when im joking. but i normally say mah-rio. dont think ive heard it any other way really.

I normally pronounce it as "Mar-ee-oh" or similar. However, I usually hear adults, from my parents to teachers at school, pronounce it as "Mare-ee-oh". I always try to correct them, but usually they'll just keep pronouncing it as "Mare-ee-oh".

All pronounciations listed above are wrong. It is May-ro :)

Mah-rio but my parents say May-rio lol

sometimes i say mario with a hard 'a' sound (mah-ree-oh)
sometimes i say maria with a soft 'a' sound (mau/maaar-ree-oh)

either way it's still 'mah-rio'.

- - - Post Merge - - -

well, a mix between 'mah-rio' and other.

may-rio doesn't work with a british accent. i can only imagine someone from new york saying it like that.

Last edited:
It's very rare that I hear someone say "May-rio", but every single time I've heard it, I've felt extremely uncomfortable.

It's like when someone says "Jif" instead of "gif".

The G stands for Graphic, not Jraffic.

mah-rio or whatever phonetically..

- - - Post Merge - - -

It's very rare that I hear someone say "May-rio", but every single time I've heard it, I've felt extremely uncomfortable.

It's like when someone says "Jif" instead of "gif".

The G stands for Graphic, not Jraffic.

Lol I actually say "jiff" or "schiff" because I'm used to G in those cases being more of a J/sch sound lol :/

Back