Rotating Fool's Egg
Togepi Easter Egg
Isabelle
Perfect Cherry
Mango
Sweet Bunny Balloon
Festival Lantern
Plum Blossom
This thread is for people who appreciate fossils, geodes, etc. I've always been a fan of geodes, and loved to crack them open, but I'm fairly new to fossils. I have a few ammonites, a trilobite (I think it's an elrathia kingii that I bought at a coin expo, of all places) and a crinoid fossil. None of these are anywhere close to museum specimens. The most expensive one I've bought was ~$35. As you can probably guess, they aren't very big or very high quality. I do have a fairly good amethyst specimen. I'm interested as to what you guys have found, bought, wanted, sold, any good/bad encounters, anything like that! Also, anyone have any good, reliable places they buy from? Could be websites or actual locations. I'd love to know!

Here's a crappy picture of my amethyst geode.
20170430_094510.jpg

Last edited:
I've gone panning for fossils and shark's teeth before at Peace River, in Central florida, but tbh i can't remember the types of stuff i found. Some dudes from local fossil clubs would say ya found like, cuspid teeth and ear bones from creatures from the wooly mammoth era and such, but i forgot all of their names. it is pretty cool tho finding sharks teeth in a stream hours fron the ocean, like the whole state musta been underwater once upon a time....

I love fossils, gemstones, minerals, crystals, geodes, and meteorites. I collect all of these things. I have a few ammonites, some small meteorites, and several local fossils, I think I have a leaf imprint fossil and some small creature as well, I'd have to dig it out to check. I also have a big hunk of dino bone. I have endless crystals and gemstones, a lot of gemstone rough that I plan to tumble or grind. I also have several big geodes, even though some have been dyed they're really pretty. I used to have a water geode, which is like a geode with water trapped in it, it was carved down thin enough to see the bubbles in the water(which is how geodes are formed, mineral rich water trapped in a stone building up crystals on the walls then eventually drying out) but it ended up breaking and the water leaked out, so I ended up tumbling some of it's pieces. I've always loved rocks and minerals I don't know why but it's really neat to see all the cool things our planet makes. =D

OH, and my latest conquest was a huge chunk of selenite, it's really beautiful and the flash in it is just magical. I plan on turning it into a wand eventually.

Last edited:
I've inherited a large Amethyst geode from my mother in law (she didn't want to move it around any more lol) but I've yet to buy any myself. I want to though. Actually my dream is to eventually be in a forever house and turn a room or the basement into a literal gaming cave full of geodes and crystals. I would like to save up to get a tall crystal to turn into some sort of lamp. I'm guessing it will be a couple thousand dollars to do that so it's definitely something I'll have to do waaaay in the future if it's still something I want when I reach the point to do that.

Sorry I don't have any resources for you.

I love fossils, gemstones, minerals, crystals, geodes, and meteorites. I collect all of these things. I have a few ammonites, some small meteorites, and several local fossils, I think I have a leaf imprint fossil and some small creature as well, I'd have to dig it out to check. I also have a big hunk of dino bone. I have endless crystals and gemstones, a lot of gemstone rough that I plan to tumble or grind. I also have several big geodes, even though some have been dyed they're really pretty. I used to have a water geode, which is like a geode with water trapped in it, it was carved down thin enough to see the bubbles in the water(which is how geodes are formed, mineral rich water trapped in a stone building up crystals on the walls then eventually drying out) but it ended up breaking and the water leaked out, so I ended up tumbling some of it's pieces. I've always loved rocks and minerals I don't know why but it's really neat to see all the cool things our planet makes. =D

OH, and my latest conquest was a huge chunk of selenite, it's really beautiful and the flash in it is just magical. I plan on turning it into a wand eventually.

I'd love to see a picture of the selenite! It must be very pretty! 0w0

Bump. I'd love to know any of your guys' tips for hunting fossils like tools, places to look, what to look for etc. since I'd like to start fossil hunting soon.

when i was a kid i used to visit the seaside a lot. sometimes i'd find fossils on the beach

Yeeessssssssss I am here for this!
I love fossils, I used to be obsessed with them when I was younger. I have a small set of fossils I got for Christmas once. It has little things in it like small shark teeth, an ammonite etc. but what I'm most proud of is a small fragment of wooly mammoth tusk a coworker of my dad's gave me. :)

Yeeessssssssss I am here for this!
I love fossils, I used to be obsessed with them when I was younger. I have a small set of fossils I got for Christmas once. It has little things in it like small shark teeth, an ammonite etc. but what I'm most proud of is a small fragment of wooly mammoth tusk a coworker of my dad's gave me. :)

That's so cool! Have you ever gone fossil hunting? If so, and success finding them?

thanks! and no, I've never bee able to go. It sounds super fun though and I'd love to someday. :)

So would I, but I have no idea where to, though. Also, I'm not sure if the law is on my side or not, so I'll need to do some research first.

I got this cheap trilobite from a little science shop while on honeymoon. It was really cute, and like a child, I decided I wouldn't leave the shop without one. I can't say they were cute when they were alive though. But even knowing that, I still like my little guy. :'3

What exactly intrigues you most about fossils? Do you delve into their history or biology, or is it more like a fancy collection that makes you feel nice and giddy inside? :p

I got this cheap trilobite from a little science shop while on honeymoon. It was really cute, and like a child, I decided I wouldn't leave the shop without one. I can't say they were cute when they were alive though. But even knowing that, I still like my little guy. :'3

What exactly intrigues you most about fossils? Do you delve into their history or biology, or is it more like a fancy collection that makes you feel nice and giddy inside? :p

Both, actually. I'm a huge history nerd, especially with prehistoric stuff. All of the ancient fauna and flora must have made Earth look like an entirely different planet! I also love the way they look, like the segmented "stems" of crinoids, or the hypnotic swirls of ammonites. They make me feel like a museum currator or an old, eccentric paleontologist or something. The uniqueness of each fossil is so cool and it really gives us some insight as to what humans evolved from.

What are some of your guys' favorite fossils! Ammonites are my most favorite, crinoids are second, and trilobites are third. hbu?

I've always been extremely interested in mineralogy/gemology. I could go on for days about this topic, but for now I'll just post a photo of my most recently purchased specimen. It's an okenite geode and I was so happy to find it as I've been on the hunt for a pristine specimen for YEARS.

zCf8uSF.jpg

I've always been extremely interested in mineralogy/gemology. I could go on for days about this topic, but for now I'll just post a photo of my most recently purchased specimen. It's an okenite geode and I was so happy to find it as I've been on the hunt for a pristine specimen for YEARS.

zCf8uSF.jpg

That is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! I'd love to know where you got it! Also, what other specimens do you have?

Bump. I'd love to know any of your guys' tips for hunting fossils like tools, places to look, what to look for etc. since I'd like to start fossil hunting soon.

I'll have to get some pictures of my rock children tomorrow.

When I go rock-hounding I find some fossils. The best tool when you're out rock-hounding is honestly a guide book with all the types of rocks and fossils so you can better identify them, although I often find stones I can't identify and that just makes me more excited to collect them.

I usually rock-hound in the Spring and Summer when the creeks and riverbeds are dry. I bring a large squirt bottle so I can spritz and clean off rocks and stuff while I'm out there because a lot of times they'll be dusty and dirty and you can't tell how pretty they are. On top of fossils and minerals I find a lot of historical stuff too, like old coins, nails, bullets, I found a super old cast iron pan one time too. It's good to bring like a small trowel, or even a shovel depending on if you're willing to really dig, I usually just sift through the rocks on the surface 'cause I don't like to get all muddy.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I've inherited a large Amethyst geode from my mother in law (she didn't want to move it around any more lol) but I've yet to buy any myself. I want to though. Actually my dream is to eventually be in a forever house and turn a room or the basement into a literal gaming cave full of geodes and crystals. I would like to save up to get a tall crystal to turn into some sort of lamp. I'm guessing it will be a couple thousand dollars to do that so it's definitely something I'll have to do waaaay in the future if it's still something I want when I reach the point to do that.

Sorry I don't have any resources for you.

That would probably be a rad lamp, kind of like a salt on, but with a gemstone instead? I've seen the like cut geode lamps before that look really pretty.
9f21a9d2c33ec77394e5c2cf98b49f49.jpg

If I had money to burn I would buy one of those gemstone tubs. I feel like soaking in a giant rock would just be magical. (As long as it's not selenite because it's poisonous when wet.)

What crystals/geodes do you recommend me getting? I think smoky quartz would be cool to get, but idk.

Both, actually. I'm a huge history nerd, especially with prehistoric stuff. All of the ancient fauna and flora must have made Earth look like an entirely different planet! I also love the way they look, like the segmented "stems" of crinoids, or the hypnotic swirls of ammonites. They make me feel like a museum currator or an old, eccentric paleontologist or something. The uniqueness of each fossil is so cool and it really gives us some insight as to what humans evolved from.

Aha. :) The world must have looked magnificent. It's nice to fantasize about. I think it's really neat to know facts about your fossils. They'll make great conversation pieces too, if you have them on display. I'd like to have an ammonite one day perhaps. They look really cool.

Aha. :) The world must have looked magnificent. It's nice to fantasize about. I think it's really neat to know facts about your fossils. They'll make great conversation pieces too, if you have them on display. I'd like to have an ammonite one day perhaps. They look really cool.

I have a Perisphinctes ammonite, and it sparked a lot of attention, so I know what you're talking about. I really wonder what the ocean must have been like, with all of the weird, ancient sea creatures.

Back