• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Geodes/Fossils General

I have a Perisphinctes ammonite, and it sparked a lot of attention, so I know what you're talking about. I really wonder what the ocean must have been like, with all of the weird, ancient sea creatures.

I'm sure it did! How exactly do you display your collection?
And by the way, where did you get your ammonites from?

Honestly, I think there are still plenty of strange things in there! We have (as humankind) seen very little of it, and occasionally find "living fossils" still hanging around. Very bizarre, but really rad! I love hearing about those. There's no doubt we've lost a great number of fascinating creatures though. :c

I'm sure it did! How exactly do you display your collection?
And by the way, where did you get your ammonites from?

Honestly, I think there are still plenty of strange things in there! We have (as humankind) seen very little of it, and occasionally find "living fossils" still hanging around. Very bizarre, but really rad! I love hearing about those. There's no doubt we've lost a great number of fascinating creatures though. :c

I usually just get them from various online websites that I know are reliable. I have little stands for them so that they aren't just on their side.

The whole concept of "living fossils" to me is very interesting. Take the coelacanth, for example. This fish has remained basically unchanged for millions of years!

Alright, I got some pictures, but much like I feared I have my fossils put away as well as some of my larger stones like my dino-bone chunk, but here are some of the babies I have in my room. =]

gvtBCSi.jpg

this is my rock box, I am going to upgrade to a black chest I got soon, I've just been too lazy to move them(the more fragile things usually aren't in here because I don't trust them not to break but I wanted to get most of the family into the picture)
EgUpALK.jpg

my rock hearts, I used to live by a really neat shop that sold stones and incense and everything good in the world and I used to buy these babies pretty regularly, I have a carnelian, an orange and a black/blue sandstone, labradorite(my fave stone), jade(almost white looking), sodalite, purple tigers eye, and the nearly clear stone is an amethyst.
YaRZedn.jpg

Really neat petrified wood I found in a creek.
Ia5Mm9O.jpg

Volcanic diamonds. We have these everywhere around here and they can be yellow, clear, and purple, the purple being the most rare, I have several at the bottom left.
EK0owve.jpg

a few of my quartz crystals, i have a giant one somewhere as well, and a four inch point that I wear on a necklace.
Ew0XMjz.jpg

Really neat cabochons my grandpa made when he was alive, he used to make them into bolo ties!
N6rZsBT.jpg

a nice little smokey quarts, he lost a few of his points but I still love him
MGvCRA5.jpg

SPACE ROCKS! these are both meteorites, the tiny one is super heavy metal and the larger one is lighter but cold to the touch.
gEt3b4V.jpg

Local mystery rock. I have never found a description to match, the bottom is one in it's raw state and the top two are tumbled. They have bands of black and orange inclusions and they're really really neat!
scvxSK7.jpg

Tiny rocks, I have lots of garnets, diamonds, turquoise, and all sorts of itty bitty stones in this bottle, it's fun to turn it and look for all the different kinds inside.
mVqYm04.jpg

Really cool geode, even though it's artificially dyed it's still neat.
ED5hKT5.jpg

My pretty amethyst geode.
schMZqM.jpg

More amethyst, some I've tumbled, some raw, I have like pounds of raw amethyst I intend to tumble.

Now some babies that pictures can't do justice!
tumblr_opb7cuVurz1r2ps52o3_400.gif

My selenite, I hope to grind it into a wand someday because they make amazing wands.
tumblr_opb7cuVurz1r2ps52o4_400.gif

Bismuth, or as I like to call it, rainbow stairs! It used to be a much larger chunk but I broke up during a move a while back. =[
tumblr_opb7cuVurz1r2ps52o1_400.gif

Gorgeous boulder opals from my grandpa, when my mom gave me the cabochons and I told her there was opal in them she wanted them back, but no Indian giving! =D
tumblr_opb7cuVurz1r2ps52o2_400.gif

My big labradorite palm stone, it's so beautiful and has such bright blue flash. I love it so much.

Alright, I got some pictures, but much like I feared I have my fossils put away as well as some of my larger stones like my dino-bone chunk, but here are some of the babies I have in my room. =]

gvtBCSi.jpg

this is my rock box, I am going to upgrade to a black chest I got soon, I've just been too lazy to move them(the more fragile things usually aren't in here because I don't trust them not to break but I wanted to get most of the family into the picture)
EgUpALK.jpg

my rock hearts, I used to live by a really neat shop that sold stones and incense and everything good in the world and I used to buy these babies pretty regularly, I have a carnelian, an orange and a black/blue sandstone, labradorite(my fave stone), jade(almost white looking), sodalite, purple tigers eye, and the nearly clear stone is an amethyst.
YaRZedn.jpg

Ia5Mm9O.jpg

Volcanic diamonds. We have these everywhere around here and they can be yellow, clear, and purple, the purple being the most rare, I have several at the bottom left.
EK0owve.jpg

a few of my quartz crystals, i have a giant one somewhere as well, and a four inch point that I wear on a necklace.
Ew0XMjz.jpg

Really neat cabochons my grandpa made when he was alive, he used to make them into bolo ties!
N6rZsBT.jpg

MGvCRA5.jpg

SPACE ROCKS! these are both meteorites, the tiny one is super heavy metal and the larger one is lighter but cold to the touch.
gEt3b4V.jpg

Local mystery rock. I have never found a description to match, the bottom is one in it's raw state and the top two are tumbled. They have bands of black and orange inclusions and they're really really neat!
scvxSK7.jpg

Tiny rocks, I have lots of garnets, diamonds, turquoise, and all sorts of itty bitty stones in this bottle, it's fun to turn it and look for all the different kinds inside.
mVqYm04.jpg

ED5hKT5.jpg

schMZqM.jpg

More amethyst, some I've tumbled, some raw, I have like pounds of raw amethyst I intend to tumble.

My selenite, I hope to grind it into a wand someday because they make amazing wands.

Bismuth, or as I like to call it, rainbow stairs! It used to be a much larger chunk but I broke up during a move a while back. =[

Gorgeous boulder opals from my grandpa, when my mom gave me the cabochons and I told her there was opal in them she wanted them back, but no Indian giving! =D

My big labradorite palm stone, it's so beautiful and has such bright blue flash. I love it so much.

Those... Are... AMAZING! That selenite is very pretty! It's so cool what the Earth can produce! I wish to have a mighty collection like yours, someday...

Those... Are... AMAZING! That selenite is very pretty! It's so cool what the Earth can produce! I wish to have a mighty collection like yours, someday...

Thanks love, it's years of collecting! I've been obsessed with rocks and minerals since I was a kid. I rockhound a few times each year usually and buy nice specimins online. I haven't gotten many recently cause I know I don't really have the space, but someday when I have some nice display areas for them nothing will stop me!

I usually just get them from various online websites that I know are reliable. I have little stands for them so that they aren't just on their side.

The whole concept of "living fossils" to me is very interesting. Take the coelacanth, for example. This fish has remained basically unchanged for millions of years!

Ah. What websites would you recommend? I really have no idea how to go about finding a good, reputable site for fossil purchases. I see you trying to get advice from others, but I know even less! Haha. :)

Yeah, I didn't know until recently that those were even living fossils. But it's pretty amazing how resilient their genetic makeup is.

gvtBCSi.jpg

EgUpALK.jpg

YaRZedn.jpg

Ia5Mm9O.jpg

EK0owve.jpg

Ew0XMjz.jpg

N6rZsBT.jpg

MGvCRA5.jpg

gEt3b4V.jpg

scvxSK7.jpg

mVqYm04.jpg

ED5hKT5.jpg

schMZqM.jpg

Those are all so beautiful! o0o;

Ah. What websites would you recommend? I really have no idea how to go about finding a good, reputable site for fossil purchases. I see you trying to get advice from others, but I know even less! Haha. :)

Yeah, I didn't know until recently that those were even living fossils. But it's pretty amazing how resilient their genetic makeup is.

I mainly use fossilera.com, which seems to be legit. I'm still searching for others, though. Not only do they sell fossils, but they sell quite a variety of crystals, too!

I love crystals. I never cracked geodes open myself (my bfs sister has though, smoky quartz to be exact), but I love admiring my crystals. The shop in town where I bought mine YEARS ago closed down, but I buy mine off ebay and make sure they're being shipped from Arkansas. All of my gemstones are authentic. I just got a new crystal quartz cluster that's worth about 80 dollars and its gorgeous.

As far as fossils go, I love them-- but I'm not educated about them. I used to have a fossilized horse tooth (t'was pretty cool lol) and I have been wanting a trilobite for a long time, but I don't want to get a fake one. I used to hunt for fossils and I have so many from plants, shells, and a few insect fossils. I used to sit in my back yard for HOURS and dig through all the stones to find hidden "gems".

I have no advice for you, sadly. But I do share everyone's love of rocks, minerals, and fossils. When I was a kid I had a tiny amminite fossil, that I lost for being a bad child! And now I just pick up the occasional rock or mineral. There's a nearby river that is just covered in obsidian, which is technically glass, but still very lovely. I have some rose quarts (previously tumbled) some cut clear quarts, I recently bought a bloodstone ring, and I have a tumbled piece of white quarts with red and green calcium clouds in it. Very lovely. And an additional piece of bloodstone, tumbled. I would like more crystals, but I prefer to get mine for free! I've only bought 2 of my stones.

I have no advice for you, sadly. But I do share everyone's love of rocks, minerals, and fossils. When I was a kid I had a tiny amminite fossil, that I lost for being a bad child! And now I just pick up the occasional rock or mineral. There's a nearby river that is just covered in obsidian, which is technically glass, but still very lovely. I have some rose quarts (previously tumbled) some cut clear quarts, I recently bought a bloodstone ring, and I have a tumbled piece of white quarts with red and green calcium clouds in it. Very lovely. And an additional piece of bloodstone, tumbled. I would like more crystals, but I prefer to get mine for free! I've only bought 2 of my stones.

Is it black obsidian or snowflake obsidian? Either way, it must be very pretty! You could make jewelry out of it or tumble it into smooth, black pebbles!

We have loads of obsidian too, ranging from black to red. I have a huge rainbow obsidian I got from a lock lady but I don't know if it was found locally. It's a huge price but I need a nice stone saw so I can chop it down into more usable pieces to tumble. That's one of the great parts about living in a volcanic region, even though our volcano is dormant we have tons and tons of awesome rocks like the diamonds and the obsidian.

We have loads of obsidian too, ranging from black to red. I have a huge rainbow obsidian I got from a lock lady but I don't know if it was found locally. It's a huge price but I need a nice stone saw so I can chop it down into more usable pieces to tumble. That's one of the great parts about living in a volcanic region, even though our volcano is dormant we have tons and tons of awesome rocks like the diamonds and the obsidian.

As I live smack-dab in the middle of the U.S., there aren't any volcanoes around here, but there are plenty of rivers, which means that there's a lot of cool rocks. There's also a lot of sedimentary rock, which means a lot of fossils, as well!

Thinking of purchasing some pink halite and maybe some cactus quartz. What do you guys think?

Thinking of purchasing some pink halite and maybe some cactus quartz. What do you guys think?

Both of those stones are really neat, I especially like halite because of the unique crystal pattern. I love crystals that form in strange ways (like bismuth), they make really neat specimens. Make sure you share pictures when/if you get them!

Both of those stones are really neat, I especially like halite because of the unique crystal pattern. I love crystals that form in strange ways (like bismuth), they make really neat specimens. Make sure you share pictures when/if you get them!

I definitely will! I might also receive a GIANT section of beautiful, dark purple amethyst from one of my relatives since they are moving, and they are trying to get rid of things.

A new baby for my growing collection! Lovely Labradorite on a silver band. 20170505_153740.jpg

So pretty~! Where did you get it?

An antique shop in a nearby town! They had lots of others, but this was my fave, and one of the few that fit me... i wanna go back some time and get this pretty piece of raw flourite.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I have only ever seen and found black where i live. :(

An antique shop in a nearby town! They had lots of others, but this was my fave, and one of the few that fit me... i wanna go back some time and get this pretty piece of raw flourite.

If you do end up getting the fluorite, send us pictures! :D

Back