• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Hybrids wont grow! Help?

MorphiGalaxi

Apple 🍎
Coconut 🥥
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
0564-1162-9430
Bee Plush
Dino Plush
Clownfish Plush
Chocolate Cake
Sheep Plush
Hot Feather
Cool Feather
Pink Hybrid Cosmos
February Birthstone (Amethyst)
Cake
Hello!

I just want to let everyone know I use Time Travel (backwards and forwards) and dont know if this is preventing my hybrids from growing.

I have flowers (carnations and pansies) on the beach in the weird cris cross pattern, gold shovel using fertilizer in the middle plus beautiful town setting.

More carnations grew, no new pansies, none hybrids.
Also watered them all...and other hybrids I got previously planted together, watered, no more new plants (except one white rose).

Help me?

Last edited:
i don't believe time traveling would affect them but i'm not for certain, however if you're trying to grow a specific flower i'd recommend only watering that type! so like the carnations and pansies only, for best results (if you're not doing that already) - i always heard that just watering the ones you want to create hybrids with and not any other flowers will increase the chances of a hybrid spawning the next day

I'm having the exact same problem in both of my towns. I never had trouble growing flowers until the update. Someone said the update didn't effect how hybrids grow, but ever since then they have been close to impossible for me. I only manage to grow regular flowers. I have no idea what is going on or how to fix it, but I just wanted to say this is all of a sudden a very common problem

Usually, when I try to grow hybrids I plant them in an open space in my town (not on the beach) and I water them in the diamond pattern with a golden watering can. I typically get a few hybrids a day that way. I don't water any other flowers but the ones I want to make hybrids with :) Oh and fertilized helps a ton (most of the time..)

How did you place your pansies? White pansies only breed with white pansies and yellow pansies shouldn't be touching yellow or white. Here's a pattern suggestion that really works: plant a big "X" of red pansies and outline the "X" with yellow pansies. I got many orange pansies this way. This pattern works great with other flower types, too.

And again, the update has no influence on hybrid growth. It depends on your town ordinance, flower placements and which flowers you water.

Did you get those hybrids yourself or from someone else? I read hacked hybrids will never breed.

Here's some things you could do that may help:

- Plenty of users here on TBT want to get rid of some extra hybrids they have lying around. You could always buy a couple of the hybrids you need, water them with a golden can, plant fertilizer and hope for the best. It may take some time but remember that up to 6 hybrids can be grown each day.
- Or you can just try and follow some guides like this one Here! to see what combination of common flowers will work best to try and get you the hybrid you want

I wouldn't trust the Thonky guide, since a few of the flower combinations don't actually work.

True story: I quit playing New Leaf because the hybrids weren't growing because I believed the printed guidebook.

They were wrong!!

I came back to playing and found some combinations do not work!
Now I have all hybrids and I am happy but it took a lot of work :)

If you want the challenge - keep breeding. Otherwise order 2 hybrids that you want and nurture those and they will multiply!

EhingenGuy has a hybrid shop I'm sure he can help you!

Last edited:
True story: I quit playing New Leaf because the hybrids weren't growing because I believed the printed guidebook.

They were wrong!!

I came back to playing and found some combinations do not work!
Now I have all hybrids and I am happy but it took a lot of work :)

If you want the challenge - keep breeding. Otherwise order 2 hybrids that you want and nurture those and they will multiply!

EhingenGuy has a hybrid shop I'm sure he can help you!

It's not a hybrid shop, per se, it's a hybreeding training facility. I teach people to breed hybrids the right way.

Last edited:
Which of Thonky's flower combinations don't work? I arranged my beach hybridizers according to his guide so I would like to get rid of the combos that don't work.

Which of Thonky's flower combinations don't work? I arranged my beach hybridizers according to his guide so I would like to get rid of the combos that don't work.

Discard the following combinations:
-White and yellow flowers
-Yellow and yellow flowers
-White and red pansies
-White cosmos and white cosmos

I don't know if this helps, but here are some tips:
~ put fertilizer where it "touches" the most flowers
~ temporarily increase ur feng shui for the time being (it could just be in one of your rooms)

Thank you so much everyone!

The hybrids I have are all from my town mostly, except a few which I know werent hacked.
I got the carnations myself...

I had white pansies only with white pansies, fertilizer in middle, no new flowers
The carnations grew some new red ones, but no white :(

I tried just watering them I think...

Last edited:
The carnations can breed any color, regardless of the combination. Just be patient.

As for the white pansies, if you have a big garden, I'd break it into smaller ones. Sometimes, less is more.

i heard planting jacob's ladders nearby can help spawn hybrids!

When you time travel backwards trees, bushes, and bamboo will not grow, and flowers will not breed. I read that in a guide about TT'ing. So mostly go forwards and then maybe you'll see improvement? Also I find that watering only the flowers I really need to get and ignoring the other hybrids raises my chances.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Okay, Ill keep trying with those carnations then! They must just be hard to get.

Ah, I see! Ive only watered the main flowers I want today, hopefully thatll help :)

I TT a whole month ahead then back, so possbily it is acting like Im going back though its forward? (Yet flowers still grow forward, just no hybrids yet). Ill just have to keep trying. Thanks everyone!

Back