• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

What is it with villagers asking for stuff you haven't donated to the museum yet?

HappyTails

On Indefinite Hiatus
Orange 🍊
Coconut 🥥
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Seriously I just caught a scallop and Pascal first appeared and I told him to scram. Then I was pinged by Static who also wanted the scallop I had to also tell him no.This is one of the deep sea creatures I haven't donated yet. I don't like saying no to my villagers or other NPC when they ask me for something but I am NOT a fan of diving in this game and it took me two days to get this scallop. I had like 5 sea anemone and 3 pearl oysters and a clam in my inventory, but of course they ask for the one thing I have not yet donated. This is not the first time this has happened either

Last edited:
i've noticed that before too, it irks me, lol i always wondered if it was a random occurrence, but i'm not so sure

it's like seriously, out of all the things i could be carrying in my pockets, my villagers choose to pick the newest thing that i'd like to donate! i always tell them no when it happens :p

I'm pretty sure it's random rather than on purpose. It's just that you notice it more when they're asking for stuff you don't want to give so it seems as though it happens all the time when in fact it's only a small amount of time.. If that makes sense.

I have a hard time saying no to the villagers. Got a request for a fish and it took over an hour to catch. While walking to the house a villager asked for that fish. I gave it up and went fishing for replacement. It was a long night.

When I caught the tarantula in my main town I ran very fast to the museum and avoided any villagers. No way was I giving that one up.

Amelia used to always do that to me, whenever I had a new museum item, even a fossil one time. I didn't particularly like her, as soon as I got some amiibo cards she was the first to go. :)

Its a test to see if you will do for the better of the village as a whole or will take preference in one individual. Your villagers are plotting to usurp you. Arm yourself and barricade yourself in city hall.

When I had the coelacanth in my inventory and around 10 other fish, like 4 villager pinged me for the coelacanth. But you have to say (or maybe learn) no. I think it's imporant. Of course it's just a game but maybe you have to set priorities and when they want a scallop they should go to the island, buy a wet suit and diving.

Maybe it's new to them too so they want it.
I usually say no unless it's common. I usually think in my head "NO THIS BELONGS IN A MUSEUM!" In a Indiana Jones voice. Like go away this is for donating so everyone can have it.

Last edited:
I think it's random, but with how coincidental it seems I can see why you'd think like that, haha. If villagers ask for stuff that i'm planning on donating to the museum, I straight up reject their request. Even if the item that i'm donating is common, i'll still say no. I like my villagers, but I have no mercy when it comes to them asking for stuff haha.

Back