• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Pet Rat Help! (Warning~ It's a little gross)

Soot Sprite

~dirty~
Peach 🍑
Lychee 🍇
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Winter Mittens
Mailbox
My fiance and I got a pet rat about a month ago and recently we've noticed a few red patches on our skin that we're almost positive is ringworm. I got some ringworm creme to put on it but right now I'm more concerned about my rat. I checked him all over and I didn't see any patches or red marks but if I did get it from him I want to make sure it's totally cleared up, (I have a patch on my chest and the side of my neck, those are the two places he likes to sit on me the most) it's itching and sore and driving us both crazy, I don't really want him dealing with it too:(

Another issue is we let him run all over our couch when he's out of his cage and I know ringworm is contagious, but I can't remove the cushions and they don't have covers I can take off and wash (they're fabric but it's all one piece) I was thinking of using really watered down bleach but I don't want to accidently bleach the fabric a lighter color. Are there any fabric cleaners I could use strong enough to kill the bacteria but it won't damage the fabric?

I've cleaned his cage really well and disinfected everything in it. I've called a local vet but she really just brushed me off and told me she doesn't work with rats and wouldn't know much about them. I looked up some shampoos for it but most of what I've seen say to leave it on for at least ten minutes and I know my rat would try to lick it off, he can't stand soap and I know he wouldn't tolerate it. I've been looking at a few vets offices farther away but it's after hours so I can't call them and see how much a checkup and antibiotics if they're needed would cost. Does anyone know of any good home remedies or have any advice. I'd appreciate any help I can get, I just want to get my little guy better:(

http://www.ratforum.com/ would be a better place for this. i just got 2 mice. was planning on getting rats and lurked over there a bit. they are really passionate about their rats and definitely could help better.

but first i'd say just stop putting him on the couch? there are other places he can go right? you could just put a clean towel on a table or counter for when you let him out of the cage. i don't know of anything besides bleach that would kill ringworm. for now i think you should probably keep your interaction with him to a minimum. at least until you can talk to a vet tomorrow.

you should probably double check with a doctor to make sure you do have ringworm too. i find it odd that you'd have it but your rat isn't showing any symptoms. even weirder that your fiance has it too. that kinda makes me think either you or him got it first from something else. but it's possible you got it from within his cage. i'd use bleach to clean his cage and toys if you didn't already. just soap might not work.

also rats live longer and are healthier when they have other rats to interact with. i'd recommend getting another male when this ordeal is over. though males need to be introduced slowly. but rat forum can help with all that.

hope all goes well.

http://www.ratforum.com/ would be a better place for this. i just got 2 mice. was planning on getting rats and lurked over there a bit. they are really passionate about their rats and definitely could help better.

but first i'd say just stop putting him on the couch? there are other places he can go right? you could just put a clean towel on a table or counter for when you let him out of the cage. i don't know of anything besides bleach that would kill ringworm. for now i think you should probably keep your interaction with him to a minimum. at least until you can talk to a vet tomorrow.

you should probably double check with a doctor to make sure you do have ringworm too. i find it odd that you'd have it but your rat isn't showing any symptoms. even weirder that your fiance has it too. that kinda makes me think either you or him got it first from something else. but it's possible you got it from within his cage. i'd use bleach to clean his cage and toys if you didn't already. just soap might not work.

also rats live longer and are healthier when they have other rats to interact with. i'd recommend getting another male when this ordeal is over. though males need to be introduced slowly. but rat forum can help with all that.

hope all goes well.
I'm planning on getting another rat but he was the only one in the store when I got him, and I don't want to put another rat in the cage with him in case he does have ringworm.

And yeah I'm really just assuming it's my rat, but considering its only where he likes to sit on my fiance and I and this wasn't an issue until we got him. And the couch was the best place to put him, he's really calm and as long as we're close by he won't try to hop off or anything. We also didn't think something like this was going to be an issue when we let him run around the couch:\ we both have doctors appointments but I can't think of any other place I would have gotten it from

I would definitely try to find an exotics vet and call tomorrow when they're open and see if they have any advice, usually they'll consult you if there is any over the counter stuff you wouldn't have to take him in for so you should definitely try. I would keep your rat confined to his cage until you guys all see a doctor, as for his toys and stuff I would take them out for now until you get everything figured out and soak all the stuff in bleach and sanitize it all basically put him on "quarantine" for now. I wouldn't trust any home remedies for ringworm so definitely just stick it out until you guys can see doctors and get some real advice.

Also I've had rats before and I definitely also think you should get another rat once you get this figured out because they really need to be kept in at least pairs. When I had my male pair and one of them passed away my rat got super sad and would cry all the time until I re-homed him somewhere he could have company.

I hope everything works out and they you're all ok!

Are the marks constantly there or only happen when you guys handle your rat? I know for me, when I handle mine, I get red spots and hives. This is because I am allergic to their pee. Male rats have a tendency to pee a bit because it's their way of leaving a " scent trail" to get back places. Usually if I clean the area that is breaking out and leave it alone, the hives and red spots go away maybe in 20 minutes?

Are the marks constantly there or only happen when you guys handle your rat? I know for me, when I handle mine, I get red spots and hives. This is because I am allergic to their pee. Male rats have a tendency to pee a bit because it's their way of leaving a " scent trail" to get back places. Usually if I clean the area that is breaking out and leave it alone, the hives and red spots go away maybe in 20 minutes?
They're there all the time. I noticed the spot on my chest four or five days ago because I kept scratching at it, and it's gotten bigger from then. I've been putting creme on it and got some anti fungal wash for me and my rat but it seems like it's only irritating my skin more.

They're there all the time. I noticed the spot on my chest four or five days ago because I kept scratching at it, and it's gotten bigger from then. I've been putting creme on it and got some anti fungal wash for me and my rat but it seems like it's only irritating my skin more.

i think you should go to a doctor at this point.

Yeah if topicals aren't working then you might need an oral anti fungal from a doctor. I'd call other vets for your rat, I'm sure there's someone out there who would know about how to treat them if the cream isn't working for him.

Thanks everyone, your advice has really helped:) I went to the doctor and they told me that as long as I've been treating it for over 48 hours it won't be contagious anymore, which is a HUGE relief. I have a vet appointment for my rat and after I either clear up his infection or find out he's okay I'm going to be taking a male rat from a friend so he has some company. I was going to get him right before all this went on but I think it's better to wait until I know for sure.

Thanks everyone, your advice has really helped:) I went to the doctor and they told me that as long as I've been treating it for over 48 hours it won't be contagious anymore, which is a HUGE relief. I have a vet appointment for my rat and after I either clear up his infection or find out he's okay I'm going to be taking a male rat from a friend so he has some company. I was going to get him right before all this went on but I think it's better to wait until I know for sure.

great to hear :D good luck!

i have ringworm rn and the contagious part goes away after 48 hours of being treated. i say cover your ringworm part at all times and if you haven't reached that 48 hour mark i suggest you cover it up and try not to play with your rat for awhile.

i have ringworm rn and the contagious part goes away after 48 hours of being treated. i say cover your ringworm part at all times and if you haven't reached that 48 hour mark i suggest you cover it up and try not to play with your rat for awhile.

Yeah I've been treating it since last Thursday and I've been keeping it covered, I just feel bad for my rat. He's used to being out pretty much whenever I'm home and now he's in his cage:\

Back