Nintendo Announces New 2DS XL

Honestly, this is a fantastic option for a second New 3DS. Even a first! I don't use the 3D feature often, and I really like the buttons being colored like that. Plus, the microSD is way more accessible.

If and when my purple 3ds dies, I will probably pick this up. I honestly never use the 3d feature. If the 2ds wasn't how it is I would've picked it up, but now there's the xl!

i like the design, it's a lot more sleek than the 3DSxl i have right now. i don't think i'll be buying it, but if i didn't have a 3DS or my current one broke i'd definitely go for the white one.

Really it kinda just looks like a flimsier new 3DS XL with a Pokemon Black2/White2 color scheme, lol.
I really do like the way it looks in terms of color, but I'm not a huge fan about how the hinges look, where the volume is and how it's more rectangular than squared. I feel like these are going to break a lot easier, but that might just be me, who knows, maybe the hinges are made of an indestructible force, but I really don't like the look of them. I can see this being a lot more appealing than the old 2DS(What were they thinking with how that was built I'll never no) with the HINGED SCREEN AND ALL. Major improvement over the old 2DS but I'll stick with my regular N3DS XL until it busts.

I may get one though, if I can get a capture easily modded onto it.

Last edited:
Wait so if the 2DS also folds now.... what's the difference between a 2DS and a 3DS?

I'm hope this means they're not discontinuing the DS line. I much prefer the handheld over the Switch.

The...3d feature?

tad pointless, but i'm digging that orange/white style! though honestly, it works out to be the exact same price as what i paid for my n3ds back on launch haha

I think it's a great idea, and I like how it looks, as well as the convenient price of it, but why did they go with the clamshell design again? I thought the point of the 2DS, besides having no 3D features and being cheaper, was to not have a hinge, and being sturdier than the 3DS, so that way people(especially kids) were less likely to break it.

I probably won't be buying this, I'm fine with my regular 2DS.

I think it's a great idea, and I like how it looks, as well as the convenient price of it, but why did they go with the clamshell design again? I thought the point of the 2DS, besides having no 3D features and being cheaper, was to not have a hinge, and being sturdier than the 3DS, so that way people(especially kids) were less likely to break it.

I probably won't be buying this, I'm fine with my regular 2DS.

I believe they may keep the solid body 2DS for sale - this will be a lightweight foldable N3DS equivalent.

They are reaching a certain demographic - users who never use the 3D - like most users who play Animal Crossing perhaps as I've seen all the polls - no one on here uses the 3D for AC except maybe once in awhile ;)

Well... this is a little disappointing. I've had the old 3DS since it came out until just a month or two ago. It started to act like it was going to die, so I looked into getting a New one. I wanted an XL, but they were far to expensive, even for a used one ($200+), so I just paid $100 for a used New 3DS (not an XL) with dents and stuff in it because it was the best price I could find. I would have very happily paid $50 more for this 2DS XL instead... it's very nice.

OMG!!! O^O" so.. Nintendo is making an New 2ds XL, plus its only 149.99$.... wow!! it looks like a New 3ds XL but round ends. Cool!! :D i'm thinking of getting it! XD

*Sigh* What a shock! Who didn't see this coming? -_-

They've clearly ran out of ideas. Maybe one day they'll come out with some different and decent again.

*Sigh* What a shock! Who didn't see this coming? -_-

They've clearly ran out of ideas. Maybe one day they'll come out with some different and decent again.

I think they just did that about two months ago.

That's pretty interesting. I like the design. Does it play the new 3ds games or not? I want to play Fire Emblem Warriors, but I'm not really a fan of the Switch. Why can't they just make a regular size new 3ds? I don't like the larger ones.

That's pretty interesting. I like the design. Does it play the new 3ds games or not? I want to play Fire Emblem Warriors, but I'm not really a fan of the Switch. Why can't they just make a regular size new 3ds? I don't like the larger ones.

Yes it will play new 3DS games (basically just Xenoblade). Not sure if you're saying it because you think the Warriors title runs poorly on regular 3DS, but FE Warriors isn't a new 3DS exclusive.
There also is a regular sized new 3DS.

I really like the design to it, and personally wish the New 3DS XL had the same design, but I won't consider buying it since its $200 here in Australia and for $1 more ($47 if a game Bundle) I could get a 3DS...

- - - Post Merge - - -

well.. assuming you mean the switch, while the switch is different I don't personally think its decent... way to expensive here and didn't live up to my expectations, way to cheap and flimsy, only reason it sold was because of BOTW imo

If you're talking about the switch then no, they didn't. Its the same as everything else they've brought out over the years but just built differently. Because of this it's not decent either.

This is just my opinion but I'm sure other people out there will agree.

If you're talking about the switch then no, they didn't. Its the same as everything else they've brought out over the years but just built differently. Because of this it's not decent either.

This is just my opinion but I'm sure other people out there will agree.

What would you like to see from them that you would consider to be different or new? I find the hybrid concept and detachable controllers to be the most unique thing Nintendo has put out since the Wii a decade ago.

Back