• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Nintendo Announces New 2DS XL

Jake

BACK OF!
Retired Staff
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
5027-8795-7985
Timmy Christmas Doll
Togepi Easter Egg
The Bell Tree Fair 2013 Patch
Rainbow Feather
Gold Trophy (First Place)
New Year's Party Popper
Pokéball
Bell Bag Badge
Easter Bunny
Snow Globe
Nintendo has just announced the new 2DS XL, set to release in the US on July 28th for the price of $149.99

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/857771492297252868

Personally I love it. I probably won't be picking it up, but I always was a fan of the 2DS despite almost everyone hating on it. This is just a much more improved design, which I really like.

Crap, you beat me to it. Lol.

I'm quite excited for this news! As I am not a switch fan at all, this could mean a longer lifespan for the 3DS. Not confirmed but it's certainly pointing it in the right direction. The design is really nice and if I didn't already have a 3DS, I'd consider this handheld. I like how it finally folds and can protect the screen better than the regular 2DS.

I'm quite excited for this news! As I am not a switch fan at all, this could mean a longer lifespan for the 3DS. Not confirmed but it's certainly pointing it in the right direction. The design is really nice and if I didn't already have a 3DS, I'd consider this handheld. I like how it finally folds and can protect the screen better than the regular 2DS.

That's what I thought too, but then I remembered they did the same with the DS when releasing the DSi XL lol.

But I totally get you on the other front, if I didn't have a 3DS I would totally snap one up in an instant. I actually really love the design. The circle pad on my current 3DS is in the middle of breaking, so I am actually looking for another 3DS to use, so I may actually end up buying one of these.

This looks pretty good and the price is great too. If my 3DS ever breaks (hope not), this seems like the best bet.

That's what I thought too, but then I remembered they did the same with the DS when releasing the DSi XL lol.

But I totally get you on the other front, if I didn't have a 3DS I would totally snap one up in an instant. I actually really love the design. The circle pad on my current 3DS is in the middle of breaking, so I am actually looking for another 3DS to use, so I may actually end up buying one of these.

Oh crap, you're right. Welp, there goes hoping. It'll be interesting to see how much longer the 3DS has. Maybe they'll release some new games for it? The extra circle pad didn't really get many games to use it so now is a good time to make it actually useful?

You definitely should pick one up, especially if you don't care about the 3D (though, who does?) I can't believe the price difference for just 3D vs no 3D.

This is great, honestly. It's basically the N3DSXL without the 3D gimmick, and at a far better price as a result. I personally never use the 3D feature so to me it feels like wasted money, had this been around sooner I would've definitely picked this up over the N3DSXL. It looks much slimmer too, that design is sleek and I'm really enjoying that blue/black colour scheme.

It's hard to say where they're going next with the 3/2DS but I'm actually surprised they're still releasing revised editions of the consoles, I really thought the N3DS would be the last of them. Sometimes I feel it's more rewarding to wait with Nintendo's consoles because of this, they release so many iterations of the same device, and I always end up kicking myself for buying earlier models just to play the games sooner. Granted the 3DS has had a fantastic library of games since launch and a long lifespan so it's not really much of a loss, but either way, this new model is definitely my favourite of the lot.

I don't need it - my 3ds XL of 2 and half years is still working great - but I waaaaaaaant it. ;-; I have the card reader and everything, but I envy that Amiibo functionality on the screen like with the new 3ds. And smaller versions of things is always more fun.

I think they're cute! I'd buy one if I didn't already have a 3DS.

I almost thought this had to be a topic that was bumped from April Fool's Day. "New 2DS XL". Lol. It's so contrived, it's like a parody of itself.

I'm sure it's a nice system and all, but my 3DS from 2011 is doing just fine.

Looks like a fine idea for people who like to pick up systems late.

If you look at the front of the New 2DS XL, you'll notice a suspiciously tiny and long cover flap, next to the headphone jack. In there, you could probably fit one game card in it, but there's still quite a lot of room for something else...

...I have a great feeling it could be the new microSD card slot location. Every New 3DS model had you remove the back cover with a specific screwdriver, just to access to that tiny card.

I'm honestly surprised, it looks great!
Seems great it's the same as the New 3DS XL, only that the 3D slider is removed and is at a lower price.

Oh crap, you're right. Welp, there goes hoping. It'll be interesting to see how much longer the 3DS has. Maybe they'll release some new games for it? The extra circle pad didn't really get many games to use it so now is a good time to make it actually useful?

You definitely should pick one up, especially if you don't care about the 3D (though, who does?) I can't believe the price difference for just 3D vs no 3D.

The 3DS still has Fire Emblem Warriors coming to it (which is also available on the Switch, too). There's also the near inevitable chance we'll get the localized version of Monster Hunter Double Cross, which makes use of the second circle pad.

Also, Nintendo of Australia just released a PR, we get it June 15th for $199.95. Pretty good price since a new 3DS XL is $249.95 and this is basically that minus the 3D. Probably will end up picking that sleek blue and black combo!

I like it. I have an​ original 2DS as I don't like 3D (I get motion sickness easily) and this new one looks great!

If I didn't have a N3DSXL I would definitely be tempted by this.

The timing of it is rather interesting, being post-Switch and all.

It's taken on a more "interesting" shape to say the least, either way I wont be getting one. I already have a N3ds(XL)

It looks really cool but I already have a new 3ds which I like more because of the cover plates.

Wow that looks so cool! I really hate that stylus placement, though.

I saw another version of this new console that looks even cooler, so I'll be looking into this in a little while. Maybe I need a new 2DS XL!

Is the white/orange variant only available in certain areas? NA only has the black/blue in their video & on their website, which is disappointing.

Back