• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Town Map Planning Opinions Needed

mayorofthealiway

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Hi!

I'm facing a few dilemmas regarding my town map. I'd really appreciate your opinion and advice.

Public Works Projects​

file 1.jpg

I'm trying to decide where to place my cafe. I really like the spot where I've placed Lloid except for how tight the left side would be. Is that a dealbreaker to you? The little corner on the left currently isn't being used for anything, and I don't imagine that I would do anything except for smaller public work projects. Once I unlock the police station, I'm planning on building it next to Re-tail.

Or should I build the cafe and police station on either side of the campsite? I would prefer that all of the main buildings be in a straight line, but it might feel cramped.

file 2.jpg

file 3.jpg

Villager Neighbourhood​

I'll eventually replace all of my current villagers with my dreamies. Would you cluster your villagers in area A, B or C?

Thanks, guys!!! <3 :blush:

I've placed the caf? in one of my towns up by the railway tracks and I like it there. My main aim is to place buildings so that they don't take up space that could be used for other things, so I put buildings close together - the place you are considering for the caf? works for me.
You can still walk around that left corner. I am fairly certain Isabelle will not let you move the caf? one space to the right -the bill board/Train station would be considered too close. She asks for a lot of space around the caf?.

Police station I would put again as you suggest by R-Tail or the town Hall - personally I would put as close as possible to the Town Hall. (pond might be in the way for near to R-Tail).
If you put the caf? & police station by the camp site - I feel you would block the town, (block easy access to trains & R-Tail). It would use up space you could use for landscaping, flowers etc.

No real view on villager location, personally I like them in little groups around the town, not all 10 together, but its how it all flows/works for you.

I like the placement of the cafe, I personally like it being close to the river, a nice wee bench to left to sit and drink your takeaway coffee would be nice. And agree with above poster about police station and villagers. I wish I had put more thought into town map and placement of buildings, was just too excited and wanted to just play, but I've learned to love my wee town, except when Cranston put his house in my back yard :mad:

I really like your map though and the placement of your house :)

I'd say your current placement is fine. You could even consider the one tile of walkable spaces behind it to be a kind of "secret path" to a small secluded garden area. Maybe do stuff like have a picnic blanket out there among all the flowers, to have a secluded spot not far from the cafe for young couples to relax together?

Yes, fun!

I'd put your little villager neighbour hood in area a or area c, I've seen town maps like yours and I've seen towns that have put there villagers in each of those places and they looked really good.

A think your current placement for the caf? is good and I would do something with space you have on the left, maybe a little picnic area or a simple bench with a few trees, bushes and flowers. Maybe even the Bus stop with a little gyroid in it, you could put dead trees around it to make it look rustic and worn out.

Just a few ideas, I don't know what your town aesthetic is, but going out of your comfort zone can be a good thing. c:

Last edited:
It kind of depends how you play. I had my caf? next to my town hall at one point and ended up never using it. Now my caf? is by retail it's one of my favorite daily things to do. Personally I'd hate having it stuck by a corner but you could do a secret garden as others mentioned which would be amazing. I guess in the end but it by the river it would look odd by the campsite.

Villagers I'd say spot B. You could do them in a line from spot b to c if you want too. I have my villagers in a line it's amazing for quickly finding villagers lol.

Put the police station by town hall, I think.

I love your Beach ramp the straight one and your town hall being by your plaza! :)

Having the cafe in a place that cuts off that top left sliver would be a deal breaker for me. I think it would be weird to have a cafe next to a campsite, even though it will not be aligned to anything maybe consider putting the cafe in the spot below the campsite where that single villager is?
I'd put all the villagers in area A.
If the police station doesn't fit next to Retail it would also look nice next to the town hall, that is how I placed it in my town. Our maps are fairly similar, check out Arboleda and see for yourself if you'd like!

Back