• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Mafia The Witch Hunts | Bayonetta Mafia | Umbra Witches Win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowie

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Gold Trophy (First Place)
Bronze Trophy (Third Place)
8pmJGUi.png

First time hosting a game (with the guidance of Tom to encourage me if nothing else).

This game is based on what was originally going to be a role-play until I realised how similar it was to a simple game of Mafia (hence why there are two two cancelled sign-ups referring to this as a non-Mafia game). If it is a success, I will most likely host more Mafia games, some of which may continue the story of this one!

I'm classing this as an "experimental" Mafia game, as this is my first time hosting. This game assumes you have a basic understanding of how Mafia works.

With that, let's dance, boys!

Warning: While this game contains minor spoilers for the Bayonetta video game series, knowledge of the characters, locations, and events is not necessary.

Welcome to the Witch Hunts, an event that took place nearly 503 years ago. It was a horrific battle between two European clans: one of darkness, and one of light. The clan of darkness consisted of a group commonly described as “modern witches”, known formally as the Umbra Witches. The clan of light consisted of Lumen Sages, mystical prophets dedicated to their heavenly guardians. In other words, they are yin and yang.

When the world was created, both clans were assigned two “eyes” of the world: the Left Eye of darkness, and the Right Eye of light. The Left Eye belonged to the Umbra Witches, and the Right Eye belonged to the Lumen Sages.

To keep the world at peace and preserve balance, the two clans had to negotiate with each other and live together in harmony. However, a Witch and a Sage fell in love and conceived a child, which resulted in the initial war between the two clans.

The powers of the Umbra Witches, gifted to them by contracts with vicious demons, proved too strong for the Sages, and so they won the fight. However, the surviving Sages began to fear the Witches, and it was proposed that they were all executed, a proposal which launched the Witch Hunts.

The last surviving Witch or Sage will receive 500 TBT Bells as a reward, a victory signature, and a place on the list of winners for any future instalments of this game. Should there be more than one player left, the reward amount will be split between players and the signature will be available to use for all winners.

There is no reward for participation. Only death.

Welcome to the ancient European city of Vigrid, 503 years ago, slap bang in the middle of the Witch Hunts.

Mafia is a game of the uninformed majority versus the informed minority. To elaborate, the game is typically divided into two teams: the Town and the Mafia. Mafia know who each other are, and can coordinate their actions privately. Town players on the other hand don't know anything other than their own role. To compensate, there are many more Town than Mafia. The objective of the game is for Town to eliminate by killing or lynching all the Mafia before it is too late.

At the beginning of the game, you are PM'd your role. The game is divided into repeating phases of Day and Night. Day will generally last 24 hours and revolve around voting for a player to be lynched. Each player (including Mafia) get one vote, and players must figure out who the Mafia are, and convince others that they are correct. At the end of the day, the person with the most votes is lynched, and their alignment and role are revealed.

Night is typically 24 hours long and is reserved for Mafia kills and other players with special abilities. Usually, players discuss the results of the lynch at night, as well as their new suspicions, and make plans for the next day. When night ends, everyone will be informed of who died during the night. The new day will begin, and discussions for the lynch begin anew.

Be warned - Mafia requires a time commitment. This generally depends on the player, but at minimum 30 minutes a day of solid effort is required. As part of the time commitment, Mafia requires a great deal of reading. Most people are actually quite poor at reading comprehension and playing Mafia is a great way to improve your reading ability, as well as your writing and ability to think and argue logically.

A minimum of four players (and a maximum of 8 players) is required to play.

To play, you will need an understanding of the few different roles you can be assigned. There are three roles in total, one of which is exclusive to the host (which will be me, obviously).

At the start of the game, the majority of players will be assigned as Umbra Witches and the minority will be assigned as Lumen Sages (both via private message) which they aren't allowed to disclose to other players (except between those they are on the same team as and obviously in private).

First role is Umbra Witch, second role is Lumen Sage, and the third role is Umbran Elder (which is just a name for the host).

During night phases (referred to as round ends), Sages can talk privately (via whatever method they prefer to use) and pick the Witch they want to kill, sending their decision to the Umbran Elder (via private message) as a "sacrifice". Rounds will not begin again until a decision has been made.

During day phases, the Witches will vote for those they think are Sages, and the person with the highest votes against them will be executed.

Day and night periods will both run on a 12-hour cycle and be accompanied by a timer for clarity.

Significant events such as deaths and surprise elements may be introduced and trigger the end of a round (as announced by the Umbran Elder). The end of a round is a period for players to generally discuss the game as well as talk of potential Sages. Unlike usual Mafia games, round ends will take place in this same thread. A voting thread for all rounds respectively will take place in a separate thread. This is just to avoid clutter. Instructions on how to vote is included in that thread.

The game will end once there are either no Lumen Sages left or no Umbra Witches left (or Sages outnumber the Witches).

Have at least one paragraph in each of your posts.

Don't ask questions during the round (day). Feel free to ask at end round (night) periods, though.

Good grammar, punctuation, and spelling is a necessity, but I'm not super strict about it. As long as people can understand you, you're good.

Don't use emoticons in your posts.

Don't go against the rules of the game. If you die, you are dead and can't come back to life. Deaths of the previous round are officially announced at the start of each round.

Rules are subject to change because this is a dictatorship.

If you are interested in participating, simply post here and say so. Once we have a minimum of four players (and sign-ups have closed), the Umbran Elder will issue the players with their details and will begin the game with a special "round commencement" post.

Sign-ups close on the 1st of May (bonus points if you can guess why it's closing on the 1st of May). If we reach 8 players before then, we'll obviously just go ahead and start the game.

Don't mess with a Witch!

Last edited:
So it's basically another Werewolf clone.
Oh, boy. Well, if it survives, might as well play.

The game has been reformatted from role-play to Mafia! Sign-ups are open again under different circumstances.

Last edited:
wow, out of everyone who could make a game I didn't expect it to be you bowie

If this is a quick game i'll go ahead and play, but I have testing next week. Probably won't be on too much.

wow, out of everyone who could make a game I didn't expect it to be you bowie

If this is a quick game i'll go ahead and play, but I have testing next week. Probably won't be on too much.

To be honest, I didn't expect it either!

I imagine it will be relatively quick, yes. I'll add you to the list.

not sure if people care enough about tbt bells to play

serious players, that is

I'm very interested, this looks fascinating! Before I sign up I just have some questions please :

From "How to Play" section :

The end of a round is a period for players to generally discuss the game as well as talk of potential Sages. Unlike usual Mafia games, round ends will take place in this same thread.

- I'm not quite sure what that last part means? The mafia games I've played and read have all kept posts from the "day" and "night" phases within the same thread. I'm probably just missing something obvious, sorry.

From the "Rules" section :

Don't ask questions during the round (day). Feel free to ask at end round (night) periods, though

- does this refer to asking questions of the host, or *all* questions even towards other players?

When asking questions of the host, will there be a specific colour used like in other mafia games here (players using one colour to ask, that is only used for that purpose)?

Is the usual rule against players editing posts during the game going to be in effect? I'm just wondering.

Finally, I'm assuming that the cute little gyroids would count as breaking the rules regarding emoticons, but I just wanted to check : we can't use those either, can we?

(Normally I'd add a smiley gyroid here but I'll refrain this time lol.)

I'm very interested, this looks fascinating! Before I sign up I just have some questions please :

From "How to Play" section :

- I'm not quite sure what that last part means? The mafia games I've played and read have all kept posts from the "day" and "night" phases within the same thread. I'm probably just missing something obvious, sorry.

From the "Rules" section :

- does this refer to asking questions of the host, or *all* questions even towards other players?

When asking questions of the host, will there be a specific colour used like in other mafia games here (players using one colour to ask, that is only used for that purpose)?

Is the usual rule against players editing posts during the game going to be in effect? I'm just wondering.

Finally, I'm assuming that the cute little gyroids would count as breaking the rules regarding emoticons, but I just wanted to check : we can't use those either, can we?

(Normally I'd add a smiley gyroid here but I'll refrain this time lol.)

Hi!

The day and night phases are represented by "round begin" and "round end" phases, which are to be posted in this thread. Voting takes place in a seperate thread which obviously hasn't been made yet. So, in other words, day and night cycles take place here!

Just the host. I should've mentioned that you can ask questions to me privately, though. The night period just seems like a more appropriate time, especially since there's not a lot to talk about otherwise.

No colours are necessary. Just ask for my name and I'll pop up. It's not gonna be as formal as that!

I don't mind edited posts. But it's on your own head if someone is suspicious of you because of it!

Yep. All emoticons are banned!

Hi!

The day and night phases are represented by "round begin" and "round end" phases, which are to be posted in this thread. Voting takes place in a seperate thread which obviously hasn't been made yet. So, in other words, day and night cycles take place here!

Just the host. I should've mentioned that you can ask questions to me privately, though. The night period just seems like a more appropriate time, especially since there's not a lot to talk about otherwise.

No colours are necessary. Just ask for my name and I'll pop up. It's not gonna be as formal as that!

I don't mind edited posts. But it's on your own head if someone is suspicious of you because of it!

Yep. All emoticons are banned!

Thanks!

I'm /in please!

Yes yes yes!

Bowie, yes!

Despite me not playing a single Bayonetta game, I adore the character and I would love to join!

♪ Let's dance boys! ♪

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back