• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Ex boyfriends problems

First of all you need to get over the idea of being with him forever. You are going to have many relationships in your future. Get past this "one and only" idea. I know its not what you want to hear, I thought I'd marry my high school gf.

Second. Leave him alone, stop texting him stop calling, if you want him back thats the only way to do it.

Besides, if he doesnt want to be with you, than you will never be in a happy relationship with him. Sometimes you can guilt people into sticking around for a while, it only breeds resentment. If somebody's not happy in a relationship it wont work and its not good for either party. As you get older you'll realize this. Sure its sad, sure you'll be miserable for a while, thats life and its unavoidable. Eventually you'll get to look back and have bittersweet memories of breakups. They'll make you who you are, so dont stress too much about losing this one. Cry it out and move on.

From the way I see it, this guy isn't even that into you, let alone wants to marry you. Sometimes breaks can be helpful, they make you realize your problems and if you miss the other person it shows you genuinely want the relationship - but this doesn't seem like the case. If you're trying to fight this guy just to get him to try in school and to hang out with you that means in some way you know he doesn't really want to do either. Harassing and spamming him is only going to push him away, if he broke up with you or wanted a break that means he wanted space, and if you want to be an adult and marry him that means you need to be an adult and respect his boundaries too.

I get wanting to stay with someone you've been with for a really long time, but like others have posted you're going to have SO many other relationships. And I'm sure a lot of guys in high school mean it when they say they want to marry you, but they might not realize what they're saying when they say they're ready for that commitment. A marriage or engagement is so much work, and honestly I'm willing to bet a teenager isn't ready to put in the work it takes to make those things last.

Girl, focus on your education.

You are more than some destined wife to get hitched off at 19.

Don't focus your energy entirely on men or dating. Focus on school and your future.

Couples who marry from highschool are rare, although it happens, right now we clearly see he was making all that bull**** up.

Don't let yourself get used for sex if a guy 2 weeks in tells you he wants to marry you. He only wants your body, lets be honest.

Let go. He's some nerd. He's a dweeb. You're probably like a freshman. Your friends are tired of you obsessing over a dude in highschool.

I had the same problem, although it was more about wanting to get closure than being friends again. But the fact is, you wont always get closure or a happy ending.

Let go. Move on with your life. Your future and school is what important, not love or stupid relationships with boys.

Date casual once you get into college, or if you date in highschool do not throw your future away for a stupid teenage boy.

Also, don't date older men out of highschool right now please. They're lying too if they say they want to marry you.

Girl, focus on your education.

You are more than some destined wife to get hitched off at 19.

Don't focus your energy entirely on men or dating. Focus on school and your future.

Couples who marry from highschool are rare, although it happens, right now we clearly see he was making all that bull**** up.

Don't let yourself get used for sex if a guy 2 weeks in tells you he wants to marry you. He only wants your body, lets be honest.

Let go. He's some nerd. He's a dweeb. You're probably like a freshman. Your friends are tired of you obsessing over a dude in highschool.

I had the same problem, although it was more about wanting to get closure than being friends again. But the fact is, you wont always get closure or a happy ending.

Let go. Move on with your life. Your future and school is what important, not love or stupid relationships with boys.

Date casual once you get into college, or if you date in highschool do not throw your future away for a stupid teenage boy.

Also, don't date older men out of highschool right now please. They're lying too if they say they want to marry you.

Harsh but there is definitely truth here. OP, even if your ex meant what he said at the time, his actions speak louder than words and you'd be wise to remember that.

My boyfriends have always said they wanted to marry me to. But when someone says they want to marry you or have kids with you but put no effort into making that future possible - either because they go off and cheat or they refuse to go to school or get a job to ensure your future is brighter, they aren't worth your time. Love can overcome a lot of things, but no one can blame you for putting love aside to take care of your basic needs, especially since love can come from many places and you can definitely find someone to love who also wants to make sure you have a roof over your head and food on the table and the security of knowing you won't be betrayed.

Best of luck OP. I hope you're taking everyone's advice to heart.

Last edited:
Yeah I'd say drop this guy, not to be rude, but he's trying to be nice to you. It sounds like he wants nothing to do with you. I'd suggest just being by yourself for a while. Don't talk so much about him, let is be a nice memory, but you need to move on. Don't text him, don't call him, don't spam him with anything. Just leave him alone. By continuing to annoy him, he will only hate you. It sounds like you were too clingy and that's why he wanted a break. So just, give him a break. Don't start dating anyone new immediately either, be happy on your own, you can't depend on other people for dealing with your 'problems' you have to deal with those yourself. To have a healthy relationship you can't 'need' the other person, know what I mean?

Back