• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Time capsules!

Bubblebeam

Liquor is quicker.
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Mailbox
Tasty Cake
For the longest time, I didn't really understand what time capsules in AC actually were, and I wasn't too bothered to understand. But lately, I guess it 'clicked' for me what they are and why people make them. I now find it incredibly interesting. Youtube provides some inspiring videos of people opening their (or other peoples) TCs after anything from 10 years to 90 years, from what I've found so far.

It got me inspired to do the same thing, only I can't as we are renting with no real yard to speak of, and we plan to move far away from here in the next few years. Some people seem to just tuck them away at home rather than actually burying them, but for me the mystery would come in burying them out of sight until long in the future.

So, am I the only one interested by this? Has anyone else been tempted to do the same thing due to AC? Actually I have a tonne of questions on this, so I'll list them instead.

How long of a limit would you set yourself before finding it again?
Where would you likely bury it? Somewhere you'd remember forever or somewhere random with only a hand drawn map to find it again? One guy did this on Youtube which I thought was pretty cool.
What would you put inside?
What would you use for the time capsule itself? Going by Youtube videos, plastic pails seem to preserve things really well while ziplock bags and even metal deteriorate badly.
Would you rather make a time capsule for yourself or for your children to find? Both?

I sent a letter to my future self, if that counts. Can't remember what it said but it was in firework paper.

I think it's a cool idea, but I literally remember everything so I feel it wouldn't be worth doing it as I'd remember what I put in it lmao. If I did one though I'd probably fill it with garlic bread, I'll never stop loving garlic bread.

Last edited:
Sounds like a cool idea buuuut I'm not that patient heh.

I'd probably put a little uplifting note in it and well I live in an apartment so I don't have a year. I'd most likely put it in a box and hope I forgot about it and randomly find it one day.~

if i made one i'd like to do it the day i graduate HS and open it the day i graduate college. i'd probably put it like, somewhere in my storage or closet. inside it i'd put stuff i like, maybe video game memorabilia, or pictures and such. since i'm not putting anything outside i'd probably put it in like, a shoebox. and for myself, i dont plan on having kids, but if on the off chance i do i think it'd be neat to do one for when theyre growing up, take things they used to like and grow out of and then give the capsule maybe when they turn 18 or graduate? :)

I've done a few things with my high school doing that. When we entered grade 9 we wrote a letter to ourselves and at graduation of grade 12 we got to read them. All I thought was I ever stupid. My whole friend circle changed, I was a totally different person.

Then at the end of grade 12 each home room did a time capsule. I put in my Lincoln building tour pass (I think.) In grade 12 I did the class trip to New York. We will open this at our 10 year reunion.

How long of a limit would you set yourself before finding it again?

50 years-ish

Where would you likely bury it? Somewhere you'd remember forever or somewhere random with only a hand drawn map to find it again? One guy did this on Youtube which I thought was pretty cool.

if i planned to live in one place for a lot of years, in the corner of the garden, if not, then in a wood and take the co-ordinates of the location

What would you put inside?

a long letter, a photograph of me at the moment i buried it, technology i used frequently at the time, money in case that changes, important things to me like photos of friends, a garment i wore a lot, a book and a diary

What would you use for the time capsule itself? Going by Youtube videos, plastic pails seem to preserve things really well while ziplock bags and even metal deteriorate badly.

a cooler box

Would you rather make a time capsule for yourself or for your children to find? Both?

if i planned to have children, which currently i do not, then i'd make one for my kids to dig up through instructions that'd be found after i died in my house and have trash they probs forgot about that was a big part of their lives.

and also me cause y not

I don't have a time capsule, but rather a memento box I keep. Anything that has any memorable value to it, perhaps one of those stick-on bracelets for events, I put inside the box.

Would just like to point out I don't recommend anybody burying them. Chances are nobody in your family is going to be unearthing random parts of the garden at any point, unless they're big into gardening or they are dumping a body. Come to think of it, it'd be pretty funny if somebody killed me and then found my time capsule in the spot they're gonna bury me in.

On a serious note, I'm an artist, so every now and then I actually hide words and numbers in my work that can be deciphered to form a message. It won't be finished until I'm very old, probably, but I'm working on it.

Last edited:
i'd prob be too anxious to dig it up again, and i'd dig it up because of that. i'd give it to one of my friends to bury it but i'm almost sure they'd chuck it in a lake or something

When I was in elementary school our class did a time capsule. I cant remember when we were supposed to open it but I'm 29 now and have never heard anything about it. I think everybody including the teacher just forgot.

I'd make a time capsule, probably put letters to myself in it. When I was in my early 20's and worked nights I used to keep little notepads like journals. About what I was into, people around me, what I was thinking about, sort of a way to relieve tension during a tough time. And I've gone back years later and read some of them and its really interesting to see what my state of mind was like back then, what I was focused on what I cared about. Lots of things have changed. I think probably journals would be the best to put in a capsule.

I will make one for my kids one day, if and when I have them.

Definitely bury it. Thats half the fun. Probably use ziplocs inside plastic ammo cans, you can get them in different sizes and they're pretty sturdy and water tight.

I've tried so many times but I've never managed to find something meaningful to write/put in it.

Would just like to point out I don't recommend anybody burying them. Chances are nobody in your family is going to be unearthing random parts of the garden at any point, unless they're big into gardening or they are dumping a body. Come to think of it, it'd be pretty funny if somebody killed me and then found my time capsule in the spot they're gonna bury me in.

On a serious note, I'm an artist, so every now and then I actually hide words and numbers in my work that can be deciphered to form a message. It won't be finished until I'm very old, probably, but I'm working on it.

As far as I've seen on the subject, you generally set out to bury a time capsule while letting yourself/whoever know about it long in advance. Obviously there'd be little chance of finding it in the ground at random.

When I was a kid I used this website to write myself an email 5 years later, the result was very boring.

To me time capsules are more interesting to capture the time period, not myself or any person. I'd put in magazines, technology and clothing, I think that'd be interesting. I still have like hundreds of CD from my older sister and listening to it is always so fascinating.

If I ever made a time capsule I'd probably put in some things that would remind me of what was happening at the time I buried it; like some pictures, maybe a few written notes, some money, and a few knick-knacks that would just remind me of the type of person I was when I buried the time capsule.

I'd probably open it up after 10 or so years, just so that I'd have enough time to change and kind of forget what I put in the box. I'd also probably bury it somewhere special to me, like under my favorite tree in my backyard or whatever, and leave a note for myself just in case I forget. No idea what I'd actually use to make the time capsule, but I'm sure I could find something cool at some point.

It'd be a fun thing to make for my children (if I ever have any lmao) and if I was making one for my kids I'd try and make it super special! With tons of pictures, handwritten stories, and just notes in general in case something ever happened to me.

Back