• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Do You Ever Buy Third Party Gaming Products?

Do You Ever Buy 3rd Party Gaming Products?

• Yes

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • No

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 18 48.6%

• Total voters

DarkDesertFox

Your Typical Trickster
Orange 🍊
Durian 🌽
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Blue Junimo Easter Egg
Splat Easter Egg
Shooting Star
Tetris Grid
Kirby Easter Egg
Rainbow Feather
Chocolate Cake
Popsicle (TBT Beach Party)
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
Honestly, from my past experiences with them I completely avoid most 3rd party products made for something. Like recently I purchased 2 cheap, but well-rated charger packs with cords for my Xbox One controllers. The charge doesn't last long on them, one of the ends of the cables already broke, and it can only be charged when pushed into the controller at a certain angle. I haven't necessarily had an experience where one was good quality. Do you purchase 3rd party gaming products? Any good or bad experiences?

Last edited:
Rarely. I bought a wireless set of GameCube controllers once and they felt very peculiar. Can't say they didn't work, though.

Styluses and small add-ons like that are a different thing, though. They're cute.

I've bought a couple 3rd party controllers that seemed to work just fine. But if I can help it, I rather get the SONY/XBOX/NINTENDO branded stuff.

I've bought like a charging cable, screen protectors, and the like from third parties.
To be quite honest, Nintendo's prices are a bit much sometimes. Plus third party gear can be more decorated like with protection plates and styli. But if it's hardware then of course I'll go Nintendo ~

I used to own my fair share of weird 3rd party controllers back in the PS2 days, because my brother kept wacking the original ones until some buttons wouldn't work properly... they worked well enough but one of them broke like 2 days after I bought it lol.

Since then I always try to take care of my own original stuff so that I don't have to buy replacements. Have to say it's a lot easier since I no longer have to share a console with my siblings xD

I used to sometime in the past. They make me spend a lot more in the long run because of the poor quality. I remember there was this $3-5 protective case/pouch I bought for my 3DS XL. The rubber part started to wear out after several months even when I was hardly touching it. The Hori brand cases that I bought 6 years ago still looks as if I just bought them off recently from the store.

I've bought a few things a good few years ago now.
Xbox 360 controller that lights up.
For my wii I've bought a controller and some guns.
The guns are pretty crap but everything I've got still works perfectly fine.

Oh yeah, I've also got some cases for my ds and Ps vita as well as a protector thing for my Ps vita too. They've all protected my consoles well.
The downside to my ds one is it's hello kitty but it's pretty cool. It looks like a little rucksack and you can store a load of games in the front pocket.

Last edited:
I used to have a few third party Gamecube controllers and they were pretty bad. It's always the control sticks, they'd either not work at all after a short period of time or their sensitivity was non-existent. I learned my lesson from those days, although I can't really complain since they were bought for me by my parents. Still managed to work with them even though they were practically falling apart in the end. They were only ever used when I had friends over playing, and I never trusted anyone enough to use the official controller. I was sooo protective of that thing when I was little.

I generally try to stay away from third party stuff, especially when it comes to controllers and memory cards.

Controllers, no. I've never used a third party controller that wasn't awful, either because it was uncomfortable or just felt cheap, like you know it would break.

Everything else? Yea, whatever. Something like a stylus or screen protector isn't going to be much different whether or not it has 'Nintendo' written on it. The gamepad dock I got bundled with my Wii U is third party and that's never had any issues, but all it does is charge the gamepad and wiimotes, there's not exactly much room for error.

It's not like I ever buy many products outside of the console and games anyway. I think all the accessories I have came bundled in with the console, and I've never had to replace peripherals.

I have Afterglow wired controllers, just 'cause they were like $20 cheaper and I like how they look and glow. I haven't had any problems with them lately 'cept for when a kid I was babysitting was too rough with one of the joysticks and so now it works a tad funky.

Other than that I generally try to just buy the offical Sony/Xbox/Nintendo/Whatever stuff; unless it's just something simple like a case or whatever

i have never bought any third party made gaming products but i dont really buy a lot of products or side things to consoles so yeah. i would have no problem buying something like a stylus or cover that wasn't official, but with tech stuff i don't want third party devices. i'm the same with my phone chargers lmao

never. off-brand is always cheap and flimsy.

I had one "off brand" controller for 360 that was super neat. It lit up and was super comfy.
Any other controls that are off brand usually find their way into the trash

I bought an off-brand wireless controller once and tested it with Life Is Strange. The camera wouldn't stop moving. ;v;

Imo, 3rd party gaming products usually suck .-. The only one that I can consistently get many times that don't give me problems are the xbox 360 chargers for $20, I don't mind getting them every year. lol.

3rd party products for other technology, on the other hand, i don't really mind - especially with apple >_>

I usually only buy first party gaming items, especially with retro consoles since some of the third party power supplies and stuff can overheat. Hori seems okay and PDP but honestly Im not really sure.

Back