• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

I wish you could make rooms smaller

UglyMonsterFace

Arize from Azulon
Apple 🍎
Durian 🌽
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Pearl-Oyster Shell Plush
Pink Moon Jellyfish
Blue Moon Jellyfish
Green Moon Jellyfish
Pearl-Oyster Shell Plush
Dino Plush
Bee Plush
Mom's Plush
Sheep Plush
Celeste Chick Plush
I hate that once you make your house the biggest size it could be, you can't change your mind and make it small again. At least for the outer rooms, you should have an option to make them smaller again. Small rooms just work better for certain rooms like bathrooms, etc. So why isn't that an option??

That would be interesting! I'm sure if they added that feature, though, you'd have to pay money to have them downsize it. But it does seem like it'd be a good addition to the game.

For my solution with the overly large bathroom, I made my bathroom a laundry room, too. So I put screens around the toilet and tub for privacy, and the other half of the room had the washer, dryer, drying rack, etc, and the sink ^^

That would be interesting! I'm sure if they added that feature, though, you'd have to pay money to have them downsize it. But it does seem like it'd be a good addition to the game.

For my solution with the overly large bathroom, I made my bathroom a laundry room, too. So I put screens around the toilet and tub for privacy, and the other half of the room had the washer, dryer, drying rack, etc, and the sink ^^

Yeah, I would gladly pay to downsize a room. I wouldn't expect that to be free anyway :)

And I have done the same thing with my super sized bathroom, but if you want a cozy little bathroom, then you won't have an option to do it after fully upgrading :( Right now, I want a tiny little study/sewing room but I can't. I mean, you have to fully upgrade in order to be able to do the theme challenge so the game forces you to upgrade every room for that. So it's not fair that you can't make the rooms smaller afterwards.

I thought earlier about it, and I fully agree! I want to let my rooms feel cozy but with a fully expanded house, that's impossible!

I thought earlier about it, and I fully agree! I want to let my rooms feel cozy but with a fully expanded house, that's impossible!

Exactly :( With a huge room, you have to have furniture all on the walls and centre or it looks weird and empty. I want a room where I could just put a few pieces of cozy furniture in and it looks full and warm and nice in there.

Yes, I want smaller rooms for some of my house but I guess I'll just have to make due with what I got.
But a cute little bathroom would be better than the huge one I have now. Oh well, least I know now for future homes.

Yeah I think that would be a great addition to the game. Also the ability to have usable shelves on the walls. Another great option could be to be able to hang plants from the ceiling!

LOL that's similar to what I did. It isn't finished yet though. I still need laundry items and a sink. But, I'm working on it lol.
As for making rooms smaller that would be kinda neat. what I usually do is wait until i start making my other 3 houses and have variant sized rooms in them. I use my main house to achieve HHA trophies and all that stuff.

I definitely wish I could downsize my main 1st floor room, or at least that I wouldn't be forced to expand it at the max before being able to add the second floor :\

Also there were times in the past where I've regretted expanding my basement... so yeah, that would definitely improve the game in my opinion. They gave the player complete freedom over room sizes indipendently from the house exterior in HHD, but it's a shame we still can't do it in New Leaf...

I definitely wish I could downsize my main 1st floor room, or at least that I wouldn't be forced to expand it at the max before being able to add the second floor :\

Also there were times in the past where I've regretted expanding my basement... so yeah, that would definitely improve the game in my opinion. They gave the player complete freedom over room sizes indipendently from the house exterior in HHD, but it's a shame we still can't do it in New Leaf...

Yea, I definitely agree that they should have a update where we can put items in our yards on new leaf that would be pretty cool :)

Omg, yes! You could even have different room shapes! I really want that feature :( Hopefully in the next game, we can have that. It's kind of boring that ALL the rooms have to be a perfect square..

I do too, honestly. Sometimes I thought 'maybe this room would look better expanded' and it looks bad and I wish I could go back. Especially the way room upgrades stretches flooring out and it doesn't look as nice.

I do too, honestly. Sometimes I thought 'maybe this room would look better expanded' and it looks bad and I wish I could go back. Especially the way room upgrades stretches flooring out and it doesn't look as nice.

Exactly! I hate that :(

v true, i have 2 blocked off/unused rooms because i don't know what do do w all the space !!! i wish i could hide/block off the basement too because mine's currently empty (i don't have the funds to do anything with it atm bc of the size)

I hate that once you make your house the biggest size it could be, you can't change your mind and make it small again. At least for the outer rooms, you should have an option to make them smaller again. Small rooms just work better for certain rooms like bathrooms, etc. So why isn't that an option??

I always thought this was an option, I guess I don't go to Nook's home that often haha. You learn something new everyday.

Yeah that would be a great addition. I hate that you need a fully expanded house to unlock the gold exterior items. I definitely prefer medium rooms for bedroom/kitchen and small rooms for bathroom/laundry room to make it feel more like a real house. That being said I'd still love to have the exterior!

Last edited:
Hmm, now that I think about it, it is really silly that you have to upgrade rooms to unlock the theme challenges, and fully upgrade your main room before you can get the second level. If there was the option downsizing your rooms afterwards then it wouldn't be an issue. But by requiring the upgrades in order to progress, a lot of the potential for people to have different houses to explore (in-person or via a dream) is lost.

Personally, I make all my rooms as large as possible so I can fit the most items in lol. I do this with each of my 8 characters across my 2 towns. I have no interest in making any of my rooms smaller than the maximum - but I sure would like the option!

Back