• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Pokémon Is Glaceon that bad of a Pokemon to use?

Alolan_Apples

Apple Imperialist
Apple 🍎
Coconut 🥥
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Apple (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
Despite having the highest special attack out of the ice types (except for Kyurem) and the best use of moves like Blizzard and Ice Beam (because of its high special attack and use of STAB), people are saying that it's one of the worst Pokemon. Yes, I know it has a poor speed as the ice types are bad defensively, as well as the small movepool, but is Glaceon really a terrible Pokemon to bring to a public tournament? I already lost credibility in GameFAQs forums because of their rude behavior and for exaggerating on how bad Glaceon is, but if you had to give Glaceon a fair rating from 1 to 10, what would be the best guess? How good does it rank among the other ice types? Where would it really rank among the other eevolutions? And more importantly, is Glaceon really that bad, or is the Pokemon community as a whole divided so much that you can't agree on anything anymore?

Glaceon is my favorite eeveelution of the bunch. She's adorable! Like you, I'm upset she's not as strong as people give her credit for. I may not be the most knowledgeable competitive Pokemon player out there, but I do think they have a point in saying she's weak. There are a variety of better ice Pokemon picks over Glaceon. The main upperhand you would have with her is a surprise setup that people wouldn't expect. If she had a better speed she would probably be a better pick.

Last edited:
If it isn't Primal ________ or Mega _________, nobody really bothers looking at it with some exceptions.
Glaceon is definitely one of the better Ice types and can be really effective with a synergized team.
I wouldn't even say that it's the worst Eeveelution, I'd give that to Flareon (extremely limiting move pool with mostly special moves even though it's a physical attacker), and I could see an argument for Leafeon being worse too.

JUST USE WHAT YOU WANT!!!! :lemon:

It's a matter of opinion more than anything else. While I don't believe Glaceon is the best Eeveelution battle wise, it most certainly isn't the worst.

If it isn't Primal ________ or Mega _________, nobody really bothers looking at it with some exceptions.
Glaceon is definitely one of the better Ice types and can be really effective with a synergized team.
I wouldn't even say that it's the worst Eeveelution, I'd give that to Flareon (extremely limiting move pool with mostly special moves even though it's a physical attacker), and I could see an argument for Leafeon being worse too.

JUST USE WHAT YOU WANT!!!! :lemon:

Another reason why Flareon would be the worst is its stats. Just like Glaceon, Flareon has a base HP and base speed of 65. Not like Glaceon, it has a base defense of 60 (opposed to the ice one's 110 base defense). The three types that fire is weak to are ground, rock, and water (which are all popular BTW). Since water is a mixed bag of physical and special moves, and ground and rock are primarily physical moves, Flareon will be put out once one of the three pokemon hit it. Not to mention, they are very powerful.

I think Glaceon is decent.

I think it's type is what keeps it down... perhaps some buffs on the Ice Type would help Glaceon. :eek:

If you're just playing the game normally, it's a perfectly viable Pokemon. Though if you want to use it in the meta you're probably going to need a lot of help to make it work well on a team.

I think Glaceon is decent.

I think it's type is what keeps it down... perhaps some buffs on the Ice Type would help Glaceon. :eek:

What I learned about the ice type is that it's more than the fact it only resists one type. The weaknesses it has tends to have a lot of double weaknesses when it has a typing combination. Or it can have a whole lot of weaknesses.

But while the ice type has the worst defense based on type effectiveness, the offense score is at the other extreme. All six type combinations that have a double weakness to ice have at least one Pokemon each, freeze-dry (move) has ten double weaknesses to it, ice beam and blizzard are two of the most powerful moves many Pokemon have access to, and it was able to wipe out the most powerful Pokemon. I know it's true that fairy kinda made ice a bit obsolete, but the fairy is only super effective to three types, and I prefer to use the ice types.

It's a terrible pokemon competitively.

You could use it in trick room but even then you have better options for slow ice types (Mega Abomasnow and Crawbrawler mainly since they have a movepool that isn't garbo and even Regice is better)

It has low HP, defense, and speed. Let's not forget that ****ty movepool. It's coverage is like ice beam and shadow ball and not even any good defense or support moves to run reliably. It can't take a hit or outspeed anything so yes it is terrible.

Last edited:
It's a terrible pokemon competitively.

For single battles that is, but if I were to bring her to a double battle with another real person, would it work when her ally is an alolan ninetales? Cause my ninetales has the snow warning ability, which can benefit both of Glaceon's abilities and blizzard. I can also teach ninetales aurora veil.

You could use it in trick room but even then you have better options for slow ice types (Mega Abomasnow and Crawbrawler mainly since they have a movepool that isn't garbo and even Regice is better)

I'm more of a special sweeper than physical sweeper, so I prefer using special attack ones more. But I know there are worse ice types than Glaceon for competitive play, including the ice cream pokemon people kept trash talking.

It has low HP, defense, and speed. Let's not forget that ****ty movepool. It's coverage is like ice beam and shadow ball and not even any good defense or support moves to run reliably. It can't take a hit or outspeed anything so yes it is terrible.

Is a base stat of 110 terrible too? Or is it the typing that makes its defense so bad.

If all of the eevolutions can have a base stat total of 600, then I bet they could at least give Glaceon a base HP of 80 and a base speed of 80.

For single battles that is, but if I were to bring her to a double battle with another real person, would it work when her ally is an alolan ninetales? Cause my ninetales has the snow warning ability, which can benefit both of Glaceon's abilities and blizzard. I can also teach ninetales aurora veil.

I'm more of a special sweeper than physical sweeper, so I prefer using special attack ones more. But I know there are worse ice types than Glaceon for competitive play, including the ice cream pokemon people kept trash talking.

Is a base stat of 110 terrible too? Or is it the typing that makes its defense so bad.

If all of the eevolutions can have a base stat total of 600, then I bet they could at least give Glaceon a base HP of 80 and a base speed of 80.
The typing makes it bad, but its special defense is middling with 65 HP. I think Vanilluxe might be better honestly, it has base 80 speed, freeze dry (which glaceon doesn't get), and better overall defenses.

It could be alright with snow cloak, but you have better options since it still doesn't provide a niche that Ninetales doesn't. Ninetales is already a fast special attacker with access to freeze dry, 100% accuracy blizzard, STAB moonblast, and Nasty Plot. Glaceon can only learn shadow ball and ice beam, and make use of its abilities though its a little gimmicky.

Glaceon is usable in game though, but its stats are too awkward +bad movepool for competitive viability. If you're just going to play for fun though, the best set would probably be choice specs, max HP and max SpAtk Modest, with trick room support. Its moves could be ice beam, shadow ball, hidden power fire/grass, and maybe hyper voice? It would need trick room support and probably tank a few special attacks though it wouldn't be the most durable. Try a few sets out on pokemon showdown and see what works and what doesn't. Overall I wouldn't recommend Glaceon though if you already have a special attacking ice type.

The best ice types are the physical ones though since they can utilize ice shard (Abomasnow, Weavile, and Mamoswine)

One way they can improve Glaceon is by making Freeze-Dry a move she can learn. With that move, she can be 4x effective to 46+ Pokemon (the most Pokemon one type or move is 4x effective to).

They should also boost the stats of all eevolutions to 65, 80, 80, 95, 110, 130, and just like what they did with Espeon and Sylveon, they should teach all of them a move that is super effective to types they are weak to. Have Glaceon learn Earth Power, Leafeon learn Rock Blast, Umbreon learn any steel move, Flareon learn any grass move, and Jolteon learn any water move. For Vaporeon, they can make ice super effective to electric, but that would make ice overpowered, despite bad defenses.

Sina's Glaceon screwed me up in early Sun and Moon. But late game it does not hold up. Great early levelling pokemon.

Sina's Glaceon screwed me up in early Sun and Moon. But late game it does not hold up. Great early levelling pokemon.

Yeah, Sina's Glaceon seems to be a killer, if the pokemon you were using was Rowlet or Dartrix. When I encountered that Glaceon, I had Torrecat. But when I used Brionne, that was an Espeon that I was battling, not a Glaceon (because I used Popplio in Sun and Litten in Moon).

I decided that despite recommendations to not use Glaceon, I would still stick with her more because Glaceon is cute, and has better use of Ice Beam and Blizzard. Hopefully Game Freak could make Freeze-Dry and Earth Power moves Glaceon can learn in Gen 8. I know the movepool for Glaceon sucks since she can't have legal access to freeze-dry, but if she can learn freeze-dry, imagine how powerful she could be.

Last edited:
Yeah, Sina's Glaceon seems to be a killer, if the pokemon you were using was Rowlet or Dartrix. When I encountered that Glaceon, I had Torrecat. But when I used Brionne, that was an Espeon that I was battling, not a Glaceon (because I used Popplio in Sun and Litten in Moon).

I decided that despite recommendations to not use Glaceon, I would still stick with her more because Glaceon is cute, and has better use of Ice Beam and Blizzard. Hopefully Game Freak could make Freeze-Dry and Earth Power moves Glaceon can learn in Gen 8. I know the movepool for Glaceon sucks since she can't have legal access to freeze-dry, but if she can learn freeze-dry, imagine how powerful she could be.

If you want to go with Glaceon you would really want a hidden power type to counteract fire, otherwise you are going to be switching it out quite a bit. Hidden power ground is ideal since you can also hit steel types with it. Shadow ball is basically default as move #2.

But, good on you for going with a pokemon that you like rather than one that is "top tier". That's what I wish Pokemon was more about sometimes.

If you want to go with Glaceon you would really want a hidden power type to counteract fire, otherwise you are going to be switching it out quite a bit. Hidden power ground is ideal since you can also hit steel types with it. Shadow ball is basically default as move #2.

But, good on you for going with a pokemon that you like rather than one that is "top tier". That's what I wish Pokemon was more about sometimes.

Yeah, but I do realize that the best Ice Type Pokemon competitively is the Alolan Ninetales. It can learn Freeze-Dry, Moonblast, and has the Snow Warning ability. Plus, it has a good speed and good special attack. Of course, it will be dead once a physical steel move strikes it down, but at least six types are weak to Ninetales's moves.

Back