• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Help!!!

pinkcotton

Pray For The Wicked
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Purple Violet
White Violet
White Lily
White Rose
White Tulip
White Cosmos
Earlier today, I found 4 TINY kittens in my backyard. Like 2 weeks old. They're about 5 inches long and 2 inches wide.

They're weak and helpless, I mean they're BABIES! They have a layer of eye boggers shutting their eyes tight so they can't see anything. What do I do? I can't take them to the shelter, because they'll probably just put them to sleep, I can't leave them because they'll die on their own, and I can't take them in and help them because I don't know where they've been or if their Mother had rabies. I can't even feed them because I don't know what they can/can't have!

If anyone has answers, please, please let me know what they are! These kittens brought true tears to my eyes and I want nothing bad to happen to them. Thank you~

Kittens will not be put down at a shelter. They will be adopted quickly because a lot of people are looking for kittens. Were they abandoned by someone..?

Kittens will not be put down at a shelter. They will be adopted quickly because a lot of people are looking for kittens. Were they abandoned by someone..?
But they're babies, like 1-10 days old. And I found some web pages. It's possible that their Mom is still out there, she's just waiting for us to go away so that she can get them.
Take them to a shelter.

Well they're closed right now, and there's these lockets outside that you put the animals in...but I don't think that the kittens will be able to survive the whole (cold) night in those lockers.

Take them to a shelter.

These ^^^

They know how to look after them, it's the sensible thing to do imo. Like myself, many people will go to a shelter to look for their pets.

Well I would just keep them warm for the night, and take them to the shelter in the morning. Since you've already touched them, the mother might not even accept them back anyway. You can keep an eye out for the mom if you want, but I would take them inside, keep them in a big enough box with towels/blankets. They would need some sort of formula which you obviously won't have, so you'll just have to leave that up to the shelter tomorrow. You don't need to make much contact with them if you are afraid of some disease or something.

I have a youtube video on how to syringe feed an orphan kitten that I found:

Also their eyes are probably STILL closed (most mammals are born with eyes closed) so don't even try opening it yet!! They'll open in a few days.

Pretty much what Arize said, if you can't find mama, a box with some towels (to keep them warm) will help. Google may help with what you can feed them until you can get formula or take them to a shelter but take caution with what you use. If you fear handling them, wear some gloves or something to cover your hands if you plan on putting them somewhere else.

Call a local veterinarian and inform them on the situation. They might be able to take them in and give them care, or they'll refer you to a place that can and has room for them.
I would bring them inside temporarily to a closed room. Kittens can get cold and dehydrated very quickly. And you don't know how long they've been there? (One of my feral kitten rescues last year was bottle fed immediately after he was found under a house. You could ask a vet about temporarily feeding them kitten formula with an eyedropper or a tiny syringe until you figure out what to do with them)

Thanks for being a good person and wanting to help them!

You can go to a veterinarian clinic and tell them you found a litter of kittens and if they can give you some syringes so you can feed them.

Get kitten milk formula at a pet store, make the milk and feed them every other hour. They may reject the bottle/syringe but keep trying, if it's been hours and they really haven't eaten you're going to have to force feed them gently, so they can get some nutrients in.
Newborn kittens can't pee/poop on their own without stimulation (naturally from the mom's tongue) so you're going to need to take a warm cloth and stimulate their genitals to pee after each feeding.

Also if they're really that tiny and about 5 days old and you weren't aware that their eyes are naturally closed shut and you tried to open them...I honestly think they're in better hands at the shelter.
Unless an adult can help you, you're going to need help regardless, four kittens are a handful.

Thank you all!

I went outside to check on 'em, and I saw Mom! In fact I saw the same cat 2 days ago (in my backyard!) I turned the outdoor light off and went back inside the house. Few minutes later, I turned out the outdoor light and went back outside and she was gone. I don't know if the kittens are too, in order to check I have to lift something, and if the Mom is still out there, if she sees me she'll probably run away/attack. So I'm just waiting a few more minutes, and I'll check on them again. If they're still here, I'll use the advice of above posts! :D

- - - Post Merge - - -

Also, yes, I thought that they were sick or something because of their eyes but it's natural. I haven't tried to open their eyes, I haven't touched them AT ALL actually.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Okay, update! I went outside again and left a bowl of milk outside (for Mom, not the cats) I saw her on top of the fence that divides my yard from the neighbors.

I'm guessing that this is where the family sleeps? Because there's like a roof and stuff so they're probably staying there...

Please take the milk away D: Most cats are actually lactose intolerant. Only cartoon cats drink milk. So please don't let mommy drink the milk from the cow.

Please take the milk away D: Most cats are actually lactose intolerant. Only cartoon cats drink milk. So please don't let mommy drink the milk from the cow.

Oh, wow! THE MORE YOU KNOW! Thanks Arzie!

Okay so I was researching, and I'm not sure if the kittens are still developing or if they have a sickness. Because the description of the sickness matched with what the kittens look like :eek:

I would reccomend taking the kittens to a shelter if you can. Most kittens born during cold seasons do not survive even with their moms.

I would reccomend taking the kittens to a shelter if you can. Most kittens born during cold seasons do not survive even with their moms.

You would have to take them with their mom. If you separate them to early they are more likely not to survive. Plus it's spring and a normal time to have kittens around this time of year. The reality is that some kittens do die, some survive. They are better with their mothers regardless (if they are separate you would have to bottle feed them every two hours at that age and help them use the bathroom) - including throughout the night.

I would try and leave some cat food for the mom - I'd do even a kitten food if the mom is super tiny. That will help fatten her up so she can feed the kittens.

If there is a concern for illness a vet visit would be best - however you should bring everyone. Which can be expensive.

I'm really not putting in the effort to follow this thread, but I think puppies can't open their eyes for a few weeks after birth, so maybe it's the same with kittens.

lol everything that's been done is such a fail please just get a professional

Please, whatever you do just take them to a shelter. A professional will be able to help, and then eventually they'll all get adopted, have nice homes, and everything will be fine. They won't get put down or anything either, unless they absolutely have to. Most likely they won't get put down in fact.

GET PROFESSIONAL HELP FOR THE KITTIES!!
make sure that the mom is with them. the mom may be tricky to take along especially if she is unfamiliar with you. if needbe, see if you can get a vet to come to your house and take care of them there. this will be quite expensive but if you're really concerned about the health and well being of the kittens, see if you can spend a bit more. vet visits are generally expensive but having one come to your house is more (i used to live on a farm)
please put out food for the mom, something really nutritious for her so she has an easier time feeding her kitties. if you feed her she'll stick around too and she'll find your area safe so her kittens will stay around the area, too. if you can, see if you can familiarize yourself with mom, just be careful cause you said you dont know if she's rabid (she probably isnt but its good to be safe)

Back