• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Something weird I never noticed before? (GC)

Plasticlizards

Baconator
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Yellow Candy
IMG_1175.jpgIMG_1175.jpg

So today I was playing AC GameCube and I noticed this... thing and was just wondering if anyone has seen it or knows what it is? There are 3 of them in my town, all in the first two acres. I've been playing this game since I was a child and I don't recall ever seeing these. It's May in my game because my Wii clock is incorrect but still.. I just think it's strange that I've never seen these in all the years I've been playing the game. Any thoughts?

I never noticed them either. I think they're supposed to be little inflatable things that move in the wind, like the ones you sometimes see in real life outside of shops and stuff. I don't know their actual name.

These two look a bit like Chinese dragons, though!

They are a special type of "wind sock" : https://au.pinterest.com/pin/67131850665791327/

I don't know about the in-game version at all, but the real life ones are fairly common where I live.

- - - Post Merge - - -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children's_Day_(Japan)

Looks like it's for the Japanese Children's Day which is on the 5th of May annually, and that's your in-game day.

:)

Oh that's cool, thanks! I didn't know the Japanese holidays were celebrated in the American version too.

I believe that ACGC is just a port of the japanese version, but translated into english. Which is why there's japanese holidays/traditions in game. Just like how the european version has the 4th of july as a holiday but it's not celebrated here. :)

Last edited:
Yeah, the windsocks appear for several days in early May (starting on May 1st). I always enjoy seeing them each year.

These windsocks are called Koinobori, or "carp streamers" in English. They're flown as part of the celebration of Children's Day, which is on May 5th. It's the final day of "Golden Week", a period with a lot of holidays clustered together, where many workers get the entire week off, paid.

I imagine in AC, they decided to have the streamers up for the entirety of Golden Week.

I remember that. I also used to think it was something for the Spring Cleaning holiday, but it wasn't.

I always thought as a kid it meant it was "fish season" which made no sense at all. But I thought they were pretty and wished they would stay in my town haha.

Omg I can't believe you never noticed them before xDD but I've also been playing GCN Animal Crossing for 9 years so excuse me...

It's like a wind s9ck based on a carp, and it appears once a year in the first week of May in AC:GCN. I never really cared about them that much, I just thought it was strange that they show up one week and then disappear like they were never even there...

Back