• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Are you a weeaboo?

Are you a weeaboo?

• はい。

Votes: 9 13.4%
  • No.

Votes: 50 74.6%
  • I dunno.

Votes: 8 11.9%

• Total voters

AnimalCrossingPerson

Please respect GDPR
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
New Horizons Token
20 Envelopes
Red Candy
Red Candy
Winter Mittens
Lucky
Holiday Candy Cane 2017
Timmy Christmas Doll
New Leaf Token
Isabelle
A lot of people seem to like anime and such on here, but how many of you actually identify as weeaboos?

If you publicly confess, I will secretly judge you.

I've had accusations thrown at me, but definitely not

I'm just gonna say the usual watching anime / reading manga =/= weeaboo

why would anyone actually label themselves as such?

do they just like self-owning themselves?

also that first option should totally just be "hai", because everyone knows weebs can't actually read kana

But seriously wtf even is a weeaboo really? It is just a dumb label thrown at anyone who isn't Japanese and likes anything Japanese.

- - - Post Merge - - -

By that definition, everyone on these forums is a weeaboo.

I enjoy watching anime, but that's where it ends for me. I'm not obsessed with Japan at all. I don't even want to visit the place. It would be far from the top of my list for countries to visit.

But seriously wtf even is a weeaboo really? It is just a dumb label thrown at anyone who isn't Japanese and likes anything Japanese.

- - - Post Merge - - -

By that definition, everyone on these forums is a weeaboo.

people that seriously throw around japanese phrases for no reason other than because it's japanese

and also believe words like nakama are holy things that should be kept as is

and have a filtered obsessive view of japan based solely on niche media

basically people obsessed with selective aspects of japan while barely even understanding (or making an attempt to understand) the country as a whole in the first place

people that seriously throw around japanese phrases for no reason other than because it's japanese

and also believe words like nakama are holy things that should be kept as is

and have a filtered obsessive view of japan based solely on niche media

basically people obsessed with selective aspects of japan while barely even understanding (or making an attempt to understand) the country as a whole in the first place

That's a great definition (and one I definitely don't fit, as I actually love reading about Japanese history and am well aware of their shortcomings as a country/culture even as I love Japan), but unfortunately, it seems that hardly anyone uses it that way in practice and its just used to insult anyone who likes anime or anything Japanese.

Also, I find it interesting no one has words like this for any other country, because there are some Anglophiles who are like the equivalent of that definition but for the UK, and so on.

They just see the Japanese letters and click anyway

Haha too true, too true. I know so many people irl who would do that. Genuine cultural appreciation is one thing but fetishising the culture by being a "fan" without any actual interest *in* the culture is just a whole different ballgame.

I do know dozens and dozens of people who fall into the "genuinely appreciate the culture" category. There's usually a VERY clear difference between the two - the fetishists will almost always talk the same way about their favourite fandoms (not just the Japan-related stuff) as they do their kawaii-loving stuff. They'll also have no knowledge of, or interest in, anything deeper than kawaii/senpai/Amanda-san references. They are also, by far, the most annoying people I have had to listen to travel stories from - and given the level of superficially and brain-numbing ignorance I've dealt with just as a listener, I can only imagine how much fun they were for the people in Japan.

watashi wa ai no am not a weaboo, I am an otaku desu gomensai arigato (〃^▽^〃)

My sister was and still is today. I think she put me off anime completely, to be honest.

I'm the kind of person who will jokingly self-drag themselves 24/7, but I don't think I've ever referred to myself as a weeaboo, even jokingly.

god no but everyone in real life thinks i am because of the people i hang out with are kind of weebish. never could get into anime i've only seen like 3 i didn't even finish but i was obsessed with vocaloid for a while but thats it. also i'm taking japanese so thats a dead giveaway but i only did it because i'm doing as many languages as i can

Last edited:
Back