Red Candy
Red Candy
Winter Mittens
Lucky
Holiday Candy Cane 2017
Timmy Christmas Doll
New Leaf Token
Isabelle
I have a box set and the second layer of one of the discs doesn't work, so it was probably a defect in the original pressing. This results in the second eighth of the set being unwatchable. I bought it second-hand and have already bothered the company I got it from enough.

I'm thinking of renting the same thing and performing a disc switcheroo. Yes, morally wrong, I know, but are there any other reasons why I shouldn't do this?

I wouldn't feel guilty about it, really. It's their fault for the error. You shouldn't have to pay for stuff that you can't even use.

I wouldn't feel guilty about it, really. It's their fault for the error. You shouldn't have to pay for stuff that you can't even use.

But I'm screwing over someone else here.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Is there any chance the renter...thing... could blame you for the damaged disk? ;;

Maybe? But then what? The disc isn't visibly damaged so it would only be noticed when someone tried to play it, which would probably be the next person to rent it.

Haha, God.

In all honesty, if it goes unnoticed until the next person rents it, they'll likely be the ones blamed for it instead of you. That's assuming they even make an issue with it. I suppose it comes down to whether you want to potentially cost someone else money to replace the disc or not.

I'd advise against it.

honestly I wouldn't do this just because it's skeevy. But on more practical terms, I feel like when the renters get their disk back and see that its damaged you could get blamed for it as the last person who had it and have to pay for it. so yeah, I just wouldn't do it.
Could you check on ebay and see if someone sells them individually or something?

You could always watch that part you are missing online. I mean you already bought the dvd, so I don't see how the video directors can be ripped off if you paid to see the video.

You could always watch that part you are missing online. I mean you already bought the dvd, so I don't see how the video directors can be ripped off if you paid to see the video.

It's getting harder to find uploads that haven't been widescreenified, a lot of piracy websites have been taken down or at least blocked and half the reason why I buy stuff on DVD (or Blu-Ray if possible) is to get a good picture and no pop-ups. Find me a lossless PAL rip and maybe (but not publicly or the moderators will flip).

- - - Post Merge - - -

I mean personally I wouldn't do it but I'm also a good person so

Are you implying I'm not a good person? That would be accurate.

I have a box set and the second layer of one of the discs doesn't work, so it was probably a defect in the original pressing. This results in the second eighth of the set being unwatchable. I bought it second-hand and have already bothered the company I got it from enough.

I'm thinking of renting the same thing and performing a disc switcheroo. Yes, morally wrong, I know, but are there any other reasons why I shouldn't do this?

Aside from all moral and ethical concerns, you have a defective product that you believe was sold originally in it's defective state. The only entities who should be further inconvenienced by this are a) the original supplier of the defective product and/or b) the second-hand supplier of the defective product. Solving your personal problem by causing unknown amounts of issues for subsequent people is, at best, short-sighted.

Contact the original distributor. Be nice. Be articulate. Ask for help. Look into what your legal rights are in your area. In mine, a second-hand dealer must remedy this type of issue and either repair/replace - at their cost - if possible or provide a full/partial refund as relevant (such as keeping the defective disks but being compensated for them not working as advertised).

Tbh I don't see why not, i'd probably do the same thing buuuuut it depends if it's from somebody who's planning to rent it out for a short while and then hopefully get it back in the future I wouldn't.

Back